NEWS

[SR4] Type O System: What's the verdict?

• 5 Replies

Ner0

• Newb
« on: <04-02-15/0343:41> »
I'm thinking of taking Type O for a combat Adept build I'm playing around with. I'm likely to invest 1-2 points of essence into bioware, so why not get a bigger bang for my buck. But since it's 30 BP I'm wondering if it's a better option to just go with Bio Comparability and or Way of The Burnout instead.

8-bit

« Reply #1 on: <04-02-15/0350:39> »
I've seen a lot of people advocate Type O with only 1-2 Essence loss. It's a pretty popular combo, and most people think it's worth it. If you're going to go for any BP usage to reduce Essence costs, honestly, Type O seems like the best option. It lets you cram a ton of 'ware in with minimal Magic loss.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-02-15/0444:40> »
Depends on what bioware implants you're looking at.  Remember, Type O System applies to basic bioware the type, not the grade.  Means that cultured bioware implants, like the very tempting synaptic booster, aren't discounted 50% in their Essence.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <04-04-15/2027:30> »
Presuming you a) are planning long-term, and/or b) have a boatload of money, a very kind GM, and/or are coming into a continuing campaign with a new character, the better bet is acquiring Biocompatability for bioware and then getting Delta-grade.  The 'ware may cost an arm and a leg, but it with the Biocompat quality will reduce the essence hit by a whopping 60% ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-14-15/0708:12> »
Presuming you a) are planning long-term, and/or b) have a boatload of money, a very kind GM, and/or are coming into a continuing campaign with a new character, the better bet is acquiring Biocompatability for bioware and then getting Delta-grade.  The 'ware may cost an arm and a leg, but it with the Biocompat quality will reduce the essence hit by a whopping 60% ...
And Type O combined with Deltaware reduces the essence hit even further to 25%. Although it doesn't cover nice stuff like Sleep Regulator, Reflex Recorders and Synaptic Boosters.

If you don't need other qualities and plan to use lots of non-cultured bioware the quality can be really worth it.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-14-15/1153:16> »
Type O combined with Deltaware reduces the essence hit even further to 25%
"Standard grade basic bioware counts as delta grade for essence purposes" doesn't stack with actual delta grade.