NEWS

[5e] Go-Ganger

• 7 Replies

Flip

• Newb
« on: <04-29-14/2334:27> »
Okay, so this is a character I thought up recently, named Eeamon. Some random ganger was part of a go-gang, and was good. They were really good. So good that they caught the attention of a corp slave who was working on making the next big Trideo hit "Speed Street", a show supposedly about the go-gang life and races. The lure of money and a chance to get into the big bucks was enough to sucker him in. He even got a real SIN out of the deal, and a corp one at that.

Despite the hit success that the show was, the season finale was trouble. After arranging for a broad daylight race, the producer man got a call from corporate HQ: the experts said if everyone's favorite racer had an accident, it would make the ratings soar. So with a bit of underhanded-ness, he installed a kinkbomb in Eeamon's bike and started filming. The hour long special was great, and then near the end of the race, everything went to hell. Management hit the bomb switch to blow out Eeamon's tire, but instead of blowing up the tire, it blew the entire wheel off (a rival corp slave intercepted the bomb to be used on the bike and switched it with a really powerful one).

The more powerful explosive sent Eeamon straight into another racer, killing the other racer and breaking Eeamon's spine. People were shocked, and it was so obvious that Eeamon's bike had been rigged that ratings plummeted. Corp guy lost his job, janitor lawyers tried to clean up, and Eeamon was in the hospital, atleast until the corp pulled the plug (which was very soon). He was forced to deplete his savings to get a street doc to set him right, replacing his spine (Reaction Enhancers) with used goods.

The doc couldn't help with the nightmares though, the look on the other racer's face when Eeamon's motorcycle ripped his arm off (Loss of Confidence). He also had trouble going back into gang life; after having a chance to talk with women who discussed subjects other than "Where's the Cram?", the street girls just didn't do it for him anymore.

Their skills are just from his Go-Ganger past, his positive qualities what made him such a good racer. Corporate Limited Sin is from his exclusive agreement with the media giant. Very few people actually know about his CLS though. Most of the other show participants didn't receive them, none of the camera crew were ever told, and ontop of that all of the racers identities were kept 'classified' (The corp was mostly honest about that since they thought the paranoia of not knowing who was who amongst the racers would be good drama. Only the show's head sponsor and corporate higher ups knew, and all of them just want to let the entire thing slide into obscurity. Could provide good blackmail material for the GM to use though).

Karma earned will probably end up going into either firearms or gunnery, and Nuyen will be going to a rig, Wired Reflexes, a NEW reaction enhancer, and possibly a gun mount for their motorcycle.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Priorities
TypePriorityResult
MetatypeCOrc (0)
AttributesA24
SkillsB36/5
Magic/ResonanceEMudane
ResourcesDY50,000

Attributes:
AttributeRatingAugmented RatingPoints SpentKarma Spent
Body551
Agility554
Reaction*7106
Strength330
Will554
Logic332
Intuition554
Charisma443
Edge22010

Positive Qualities
QualityKarma
Gearhead11
Exceptional REA14

Negative Qualities
QualityKarma
Loss of Confidence10
Limited Corporate SIN15

Contacts:
ContactConnectionsLoyaltyKarma Spent
Mechanic32
Mr Johnson52
Go-Ganger112

Knowledge Skills:
Knowledge SkilRating
Englishn
Japanese5
Street Racing5
Go Gangs5
Yakuza1
Seattle Clubs1
Pizza1

Skill Groups:
Skill GroupsRating
Athletics5

Active Skills:

Skill (Specialization)RatingEnd Rating (Specialization)Total Points Spent
Con333
Perform232
Gymnastics050
Running050
Swimming050
Blades222
Automatics555
Pistols555
Navigation111
Palming333
Sneaking333
Groundcraft (Motorcycles)6[4]6( 8 )7
Perception555

Money:
ItemCostRatingAvailabilityNote
Lifestyle0-0Street
Biomonitor300-3-
Clothing30--Six outfits
Commlink10001/12Metalink x 2
Fake Sin10,000412F
Fake License1,600412FDriving x2
Fake License1,600412FConceal Carry x2
Fake License1,600412FCyberware x2
Mapsoft200-4+Salish Sidhe
+Seattle
Goggles242534R+Image Link
+Smart Link
+Flare Comp
Earbuds90039+Select Sound 3
Browning Ultra Power640-4RHeavy Pistol
Yamaha Pulsar180--
Flashlight25--
Ammunition, Regular200-2R100 rounds
Ammunition, Taser100-320 Rounds

Augmentations:
AugmentationGradeCostLocationRatingAvailability
Reaction EnhancersUsed29250Bodyware311R

Vehicles
VehicleCostHandlingSpeedAccelerationBodyArmorPilotSensorsSeatsAvailabilityNotes
Suzuki Mirage85005/36356121-+Rigger Interface

Remaining Resources: 500 + 1d6*Who-cares-its-a-few-nuyen
« Last Edit: <05-02-14/0545:08> by Flip »

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-30-14/1300:18> »
Interesting character idea, was fiddling about with something similar myself... First off...

You can only have one attribute at max rating during chargen. I'd suggest dropping your intuition to 5, maybe upping Willpower to 5 as the tradeoff.

What is the loss of confidence for? Pilot ground craft? if so, you can't have a specialization for it.

You cannot buy a skill group and then individually up the skills at chargen, if I'm not mistaken. I'd suggest you drop the firearms skill group and up your other skill groups with that.

Also, having a few points in all of those groups isn't very good. Either make them all high (4 or more) or drop one or two of them.

I'd add vision magnification into your goggles as well, it's neat to have. I'd also add a sound enhancer to the earbuds.

Rigger interface without being able to rig? Roleplay reasons for this one too?

All in all, this is a decent character, just has a few minor issues. And even those issues are just a matter of my personal opinion.

Davidvs

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <04-30-14/2355:43> »
Very cool concept.

Flip

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-01-14/0036:49> »
Interesting character idea, was fiddling about with something similar myself... First off...

You can only have one attribute at max rating during chargen. I'd suggest dropping your intuition to 5, maybe upping Willpower to 5 as the tradeoff.

Derp, thanks. I can't believe I let that one slip

What is the loss of confidence for? Pilot ground craft? if so, you can't have a specialization for it.
You actually can have specializations in the skill, you just can't use them unless the flaw is bought off.

You cannot buy a skill group and then individually up the skills at chargen, if I'm not mistaken. I'd suggest you drop the firearms skill group and up your other skill groups with that.
You are correct, I double checked and you can only break them up at the Karma step.

Also, having a few points in all of those groups isn't very good. Either make them all high (4 or more) or drop one or two of them.
While I'd agree with you that generally its not good to have lots of skills at 1 and 2, the Outdoors skillgroup is extremely flavorful (Bike Chases/Hunts, Ganger slum life, etc), and the the perform is for the flair that got him the contract in the first place. Con is well, for lying to cops etc.

With the high attributes though, most of his skills end up with Dice pools of 8. While certainly not good for a 'main' focus, it makes him very good at being a general assist when he isn't behind the wheel. But since I need to redo my skill groups, I'll just put the firearms ones into Athletics and buy up Automatics and Pistols.

I'd add vision magnification into your goggles as well, it's neat to have. I'd also add a sound enhancer to the earbuds.
The goggles and buds were for enhancing his driving ability. As a rider, he'd want to be able to better hear important sounds, and the goggles are for better night sight (thermovision isn't so good at seeing cold obstructions in the road).

Rigger interface without being able to rig? Roleplay reasons for this one too?

The bike was actually something he was building 'to reveal' on the show, to show how serious he was about bikes. His sponsor promised him enough money to get him a rig at some point (though it would be made to seem he was spending race money on it) and make some extra drama for the show.  When the contract fell through though, he still had the bike.
« Last Edit: <05-01-14/0043:01> by Flip »

Cowdragon

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-01-14/1021:03> »
really love the back story here. Well done!

Flip

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-02-14/0734:11> »
So I came up with some more backstory about his gang life before he got sponsored. But I'm not sure if it would be world fitting for a gang like this to exist. I'd love some feed back

The go-gang calls itself the "Flat Caps", a reference to the anachronistic victorian flatcaps they all wear. The gang first appeared as a street gang in New York that was predominately Irish in descent. They spent ten years there with moderate success until the first gang leader died and his next-in-line took over and called a meeting. He declared in a matter-of-fact tone that they were going to work for the Vory. Most of the gang went along with becoming Vory pawns, but Alroy MacCormack and about a fifth of the gang grabbed their bikes/cars/trucks and left immediately after the meeting concluded. The gangers that stayed eventually died or joined the Vory proper, and Alroy's band seemingly dissapeared into obscurity as they headed west.

Then a decade later in 2060 the Flat Caps suddenly appeared again in Seattle, changed from when they left New York. Alroy still led them, but the entire culture and attitude of the gang had changed. Using the skills it had been forced to develop to survive ten years going trans-america, it had grown to a hundred-ish man operation with the passion of a go-gang, the subtly of a smuggling ring, and the skill of a racing clique. The rest of the illegal establishment was anxious by their sudden appearance, especially when they took a lucrative street corner in the barrens near the Seattle city-limits border. But those feelings soon faded in a year, when it became apparent they weren't out for territory.

They mostly make money organizing street racings, participating in street races, doing heists (they are pretty damn good at get aways), and occasionally smuggling. They stay away from drug and BTL trading; they know better than to play in the big boys sandbox. The Halloweeners have made a game of chasing Flat Caps for being so pompous, and the Flat Caps have made a game of leading Halloweeners down dangerous roads and into oncomming traffic.
----

Also, some explaination why he doesn't have any good gang contacts or home ground: when the bomb went off, there were rumors that he himself was trying the throw the race and just screwed up the bomb. As the gang is very much into street racing and the kind of street racer's honor that comes with it, those rumors destroyed his reputation enough to kill his standing with the gang. But since those rumors never found substance, it didn't become such a big thing to give the "Bad Rep" negative trait.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-02-14/1405:11> »

Knowledge Skills:
Knowledge SkilRating
Pizza1

^^ is my favorite!  :)

Very cool build - he has a lot of plot hooks and motivations to run the shadows. Is there an over-all plan for him to rig? Or is that just a portion of what he will be doing with your team?

Flat Caps sound like they will provide a lot of interesting possibilities also; looks like you have as many neg qualities as you can, but Dependents (with someone still in the gang) could also be interesting. Of course, I always let my players take as many neg qualities for 25 karma as they want!  ;D

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #7 on: <05-02-14/1554:36> »
I'm using the flat caps.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english