NEWS

Urban tileset for VTT

• 5 Replies

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« on: <03-25-14/1326:16> »
I have been using Roll20 for my online group for about seven months now.

Recently I paid for the mentor subscription, and a bunch of artwork on it to make more detailed virtual tabletop maps. There's a problem, however. There's only one decent outdoor street tileset and it's .png so it's a huge RAM hog.

I'm looking for a way to build maps outside of Roll20 and upload them into it when I am done. I suppose it's most effective to learn GIMP and get cracking. Are there any free tilesets worth working with?

forgarn

• Newb
  • Catalyst Demo Team Agent
« Reply #1 on: <03-25-14/1449:13> »
I have not use Roll20 at all so I am not sure.  I use MapTools and there is a huge number of downloads, etc. that can be found in the forums.  And since the program loads on your computer, you can create the maps offline and then when you are playing, they load into the players screen real easy.  Have played across the Atlantic with friends in Holland and there is very little to no lag what-so-ever.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-25-14/1500:22> »
I have not use Roll20 at all so I am not sure.  I use MapTools and there is a huge number of downloads, etc. that can be found in the forums.  And since the program loads on your computer, you can create the maps offline and then when you are playing, they load into the players screen real easy.  Have played across the Atlantic with friends in Holland and there is very little to no lag what-so-ever.

Can I make a map in maptool and then save it as a .jpg, .gif or other file type I could upload into roll20?

forgarn

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <03-26-14/1232:14> »
You can export the current view (either GM or Player view) but I would think that it would require multiple exports to get a large map.  Maybe with a stitcher program that would stitch the multiple files into one file.  And the exports are png's by default, you would need something like Gimp to resave as a jpg.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-26-14/1315:43> »
You can export the current view (either GM or Player view) but I would think that it would require multiple exports to get a large map.  Maybe with a stitcher program that would stitch the multiple files into one file.  And the exports are png's by default, you would need something like Gimp to resave as a jpg.

Just so I'm clear I'd have to export from MapTools?

forgarn

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-26-14/1541:55> »
Yes, you would have to use the Export tool on the File menu.  Saving the files only saves them in the proprietary format for use in MapTools.  It is a VTT in and of itself, not a map creation tool so the maps do not come out easily.