[OOC] Chicago Depths: Rolls and discussion

• 1169 Replies

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« on: <11-19-10/2234:27> »
Character thread
Play thread

Okay, welcome to the backstage area.  I want to try and keep discussions and rolls separate from the dialog and primary action of the game itself.

There's going to be a lot of shit about rolling here, you don't need to memorize it or anything, just skim it and refer to it if you've got questions as to how I want a thing done.

As is standard, please use the Invisible Castle roller and I'd appreciate if you'd take a couple minutes to set up an account there, so that you can keep your rolls tied to your character.  That way, I can cruise through the character's roll history and see notes on which roll was for what action.  Makes things very clear cut.  Just make sure to remember to link to your rolls.  The link code should be at the bottom of the page after you make a roll.

Quick code for rolls:  
xd6.hits(5) will roll x# dice counting 5s and 6s as a hit.
xd6.hitsopen(5,6) will roll x# dice with exploding 6s, counting 5s and6s as hits like regular

If you're doing an extended test, like using hardware to tear open a maglock, then there is a line which lets you decide how many times you roll.  You can do it in a large block if you like, just keep the number of rolls limited to your total dicepool number or less.  So, you can roll 9 times with a dicepool of nine or 8 times with a dicepool of 8.  That way, I can decide if a diminishing dicepool is appropriate to the situation, and you don't have to wait to roll.

Don't worry too much about rolls outside of combat, unless you're making an opposed test.  Just move the game forward under the assumption that you're buying hits.  For instance, Machete has a visual perception pool of 21 which means that, buying hits, he can see something purposely hidden from as far away as the light will travel to his eyes.  
Looking at dice rolls, what do I mean by that?  Well breaking it down, we've got Intuition 5 + 4 skill + 3 vision enhancement + 3 Attention coprocessor + 3 Actively looking + 2 specialization + 1 Betel - 2 not in the vicinity -3 far away = 16 dice where buying hits at 4:1 gives him 4 hits on a threshold 4 test to spot hidden/microscopic things.  Pretty crazy, hunh?  

On the topic of rolls, when they come up, I'd appreciate if you'd break them down like I did for that example, at least for the first time you do a roll.  It's a good exercise and it helps all of us remember what modifiers are in play if any.  You might even forget some dice where another player can point it out.  If you're unsure of a negative modifier, leave it out of the roll.  If I decide that the negative modifier needs to be there, I'll just kill the last few dice and keep your roll.

So, same character, different circumstances:  Machete is walking knee-deep through fetid sludge in one of northside Chicago's many abandoned sewers, on the way to check out the basement of an old meat-packing plant without the resident skullhammers above finding out.  Passing by a drain pipe, he hears voices coming through one of the drains in the old slaughterhouse floor.  Did he hear what they were saying?  Inca decides that he'll roll it up as Intuition 5 + 4 skill + 3 Attention coprocessor + 1 Betel - 2 not in the vicinity -2 Distracted = 9d6.hits(5) → [5,2,5,3,6,4,5,4,6] = (5).  Hell yes, he hears it.  I might say, there was in interfering noise, taking another 2 dice off, leaving him with [5,2,5,3,6,4,5,4,6] = (5,4), which is still more than enough.

« Last Edit: <11-19-10/2358:02> by Kontact »

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #1 on: <11-19-10/2248:00> »
Okay, all that dice-related nonsense out of the way, let's get into the action.

I'm starting you all off halfway through a retrieval just to avoid all the "we meet at the bar" stuff that slows down play.  There'll be plenty of time for that later.

The current job is to climb up a half-burned-down building in southside in order to raid an old forgotten wine cellar installed in the executive offices on the top floors.  There's potentially enough expensive vintages there to net you a pretty penny, and the local gang is the Union, so you won't have to worry about raiders as much as in the central CZ.  Getting it out undamaged is going to be your task.

I want you to let me know what kind of gear you would have with you for this job.  So, if you've got 40 guns and 1000 grenades, let me know how many you'd bring for this trip.  Assume that you've had 4 days worth of prep, before leaving.  If you have any prep-related activities you want to take care of, let me know that here as well.

If you'd like to discuss whether you took a quick overland route with a cadre of vehicles or if you went on an underground creep, (hell, you could have taken the train to southside,)  it'd be nice to hash that out now.  Also, if you're a "wait in the car" or "work from home" type.  Let me know that as well.  I won't assume you're on site until I hear from you.
« Last Edit: <11-20-10/0001:41> by Kontact »

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <11-20-10/0853:25> »
I have all my gear with me either in my bagpack or hanging from my rigging. Acount for dice rolling was made 8)
Greetings from the Netherlands, comrade!

etherial

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-20-10/1815:04> »
Here are some Sensor + Cleareyes rolls for the Stormcloud:

2 hits.
0 hits.

and Data Search + Browse (1 hit) and Computer + Edit (1 hit)to create an AR map of what we're seeing.

Man these dice suck...

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <11-20-10/1904:30> »
Well its better than nothing. Better than I could manage, that's for sure ;D

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-21-10/0851:12> »
I'll be able to post tomorrow, out of town today and don't have time at the moment!

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <11-21-10/0907:39> »
After 4 days of summoning and binding spirits (If you want me to post the data here, let me know, but I already did the rolls with Kontact in a message. I'll just put the results below), Ingmar wakes up at sunrise on the 5th day (the day of the Job). After consulting with his mentor spirit, he summons an aspect of Fenris, the wolf that bit Tyr's hand off. Ingmar believes the gods have blessed him with the service of this wolf that has been under the bondage of gods through the centuries.

Summoning Fenris:
Magic4 + Summoning3 = 7 dice, 7d6.hits(5) → [3,5,1,5,4,2,1] = (2)
vs.
Spirits Force4 = 4 dice, 4d6.hits(5) → [2,5,3,2] = (1)
1 net hit
Drain DV = Spirits Hits x 2 = 2DV
vs.
Charisma4 + Will5 = 9 dice,9d6.hits(5) → [2,2,4,4,5,4,5,2,6] = (3)
Drain Soaked

Ingmar puts Fenris on standby.

Before leaving for the job, Ingmar casts 1 spell through each of his 2 sustaining foci:
Casting Increased Reflexes Force 2, Spellcasting4 + Magic4 = 8 dice, 8d6.hits(5) → [6,2,6,1,4,6,5,4] = (4), only 2 hits are used since spell was cast at force 2.
Drain for Increase Reflexes Force 2 (F/2+2= 3DV)
vs.
Charisma4 + Will5 = 9 dice, 9d6.hits(5) → [3,5,1,2,5,6,5,3,4] = (4)
Drain Soaked.

Casting Combat Sense Force 2, Spellcasting4 + Magic4 = 8 dice, 8d6.hits(5) → [6,3,6,4,1,2,3,2] = (2)
Drain for Combat Sense Force 2 (F/2+2= 3DV)
vs.
Charisma4 + Will5 = 9 dice, 9d6.hits(5) → [6,2,3,5,2,1,6,3,4] = (3)
Drain Soaked

Final Results:
Force 4 Guardian Spirit(optional power elemental attack(electrical)) Bound with 5 Services, on standby
Force 4 Water Spirit(optional power elemental attack(negative)) Bound with 4 Services, on standby
Force 4 Fire Spirit(optional power fear) Bound with 2 Services, on standby
Force 4 Air Spirit(optional power elemental attack(cold)) Bound with 6 services, on standby
Force 4 Beast Spirit(optional power natural weapon)Summoned with 1 service, on standby
Force 2 sustaining foci holding Force 2 Improved Reflexes (+1 init, +1 IP, for a total of 5 init and 2 IP)
Force 2 sustaining foci holding Force 2 Combat Sense (+2 to reaction on surprise and ranged defense)

Ingmar is wearing his comlink, armored vest, hazmat suit, his gas mask, his thermographic glasses, his fetishes(under the hazmat suit), his foci(under the hazmat suit), his hidden gun-arm slide with manhunter fully loaded (16 rounds) with explosive ammo(on his left arm), and medkit with slap patches inside strapped to his leg. His backpack contains his survival kit, his climbing gear, his ultrasound glasses, and his respirator.

He left 14 rounds of explosive ammo back at his apartment, along with his lodge materials.

Ingmar Also has a couple strips of glomoss attatched to the right arm of his hazmat suit. (the arm with the missing hand)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingmar would have relied on Mechete and Ruckus's decision making when it came to trans to the location.

Ingmar Casts Levitate on himself at Force 4:
Spellcasting(Manipulation)6+ Magic4 = 10 dice 10d6.hits(5) → [1,3,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,2] = (0)
Drain DV = 3 (F/2+1)
vs
Charisma4 + Will5 + Manipulation Fetish 2 = 11 dice 11d6.hits(5) → [3,3,1,1,1,5,5,6,6,6,5] = (6)
Drain Soaked, and spell failed.
Ingmar Tries again Levitate at Force 4:
Spellcasting(Manipulation)6 + Magic4 = 10 dice 10d6.hits(5) → [6,2,5,5,2,2,6,6,1,4] = (5), only 4 hits matter since the spell was cast at Force 4.
Drain DV = 3 (F/2+1)
vs
Charisma4 + Will5 + Manipulation Fetish 2 = 11 dice 11d6.hits(5) → [4,2,4,3,5,6,3,5,5,6,1] = (5)
Drain Soaked
As long as Ingmar can keep this spell up, and BC doesn't reduce the force of the spell, Ingmar can move at Force4 x Spellcastinghits4 = 16 meters per turn by means of levitation. (which is pretty fast)

Ingmar is sustaining this spell himself, so he is -2 to everything now.
« Last Edit: <11-24-10/0756:31> by joe15552 »

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #7 on: <11-21-10/1750:18> »
Sorry for being so slack here.  It's Turkey time here in the States and I've unexpectedly come into a whole lot of family members.

...try and move 3000 miles from home and they just seem to follow you...  ;)

Anyway, I'll have a quick map of the surrounding area up for you by this evening, and I'll get into the IC thread as well.  But, hey, looks like there's still some people waiting to chime in and others who need to finish off their character sheets.

As I said at the beginning, I'm not assuming anyone's presence here, so if you as a player want to sit a scene/job out, just let me know.

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <11-21-10/1819:14> »
Sounds good, mate. Have some good family time ;)

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-21-10/1928:14> »
Okay I am here, sorry had a weekend with the family with limited computer access.

This gear is stuff that I would hope you will allow me to think of, though i understand my character's limited intelligence.

Prep work is as follows:

Would like to secure some special gear for loot transport:

at least 2, and would prefer up to 6, containers, about the size of a laundry basket. As hermetically secure as possible, ideally somewhat armored or bulletproof, and filled with foam or some kind of shock-resistant material that is easily cut to shape.  Basically a container capable of rough-handling securly up to 10 bottles of precious cargo.

Bare minimum, and easily obtainable, I am thinking of highend toolboxes with no shadowing in the foam (that means no foam cut for the tools) but I am thinking you can only have 5 bottles per in those kind of containers so we will have to double the total number

Also need as complete as possible spreadsheet and database of vintage wines so that we can be sure to get the best bottles if we have to narrow down our take.

On the vehicle point, perusing existing sheets, I see 2 bikes and a van for 5 possibly 6 bodies.  I am voting for an overland caravan route if the Bulldog has the room for the cargo containers and preferable 2 additional bodies.

The two additional bodies would be the Mafia goons (big scary breeders) that I would like to have on relatively permanent retainer to pull bodyguard on the vehicles and provide labor should we need them.  If the Bulldog doesn't have the cargo room, not an uncommon thing for a drone rigger, than an additional vehicle, with cargo capacity, will be needed
« Last Edit: <11-21-10/2221:46> by Crossbow »

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-21-10/2315:45> »
I understand the gas masks, that much is obvious, but I am thinking that the bulky Hazmat suits are a bit much at this point, and will make climbing a minimum exhausting, and more likely, extremely dangerous, especially for amatuer climbers.

That said I do have both piece of gear, or will have bought it, but unless we have obviously reason, will have the suit stowed.  Also, Digger is carrying 5 extra clips for each of his two weapons (standard rounds loaded), plus the axe and the knife.

So it is also said, out and about, he only carries the Predator (only 1 extra clip) and the knife.
« Last Edit: <11-21-10/2326:13> by Crossbow »

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #11 on: <11-22-10/0143:02> »
The two additional bodies would be the Mafia goons (big scary breeders) that I would like to have on relatively permanent retainer to pull bodyguard on the vehicles and provide labor should we need them.  If the Bulldog doesn't have the cargo room, not an uncommon thing for a drone rigger, than an additional vehicle, with cargo capacity, will be needed

I'd say that the Bulldog is an extended cab full-size van (on account of the 20 mod slots, which is more than even an APC gets, so you've gotta be able to pack a lot of stuff in there,) so it should hold either,
1) two seats and two three-man benches with enough room in the back for one large or two medium drones, or
2) two seats, one bench and room enough for something like a workshop or a large and medium drone.
3) two seats, and enough room for two large drones or, whatever.   You get the idea.

As to going in with mafia goons in tow, that's not really a good idea.  The whole idea of a salvage team functions because of their non-alignment.  If you fly mafia colors in Union territory, you might as well put the bullet in your own head.  They're at war, and will come down on you in force.  That said, if the rest of your team mates would be okay risking their necks I'll allow it.  Just be aware that what you're asking for may not be any more effective than a couple of dudes sitting in a van desperately trying not to draw attention to themselves.

Also, joe, BC in Elevated is at a 1 count, and you can tell by your moss and your still-barely-functioning Foci that you haven't passed through any BC 2 areas on your way in.  That does however mean that watcher spirits are out.  Don't expect them functioning in the CZ, like, ever.  Remember nearly a million people were trapped and left to die while their neighbors tried to kill them for food or from paranoia.  There are a few places that the Astral Space Preservation Society has cleaned up, but we'll be getting into that before too long..
« Last Edit: <11-22-10/0213:42> by Kontact »

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-22-10/0237:42> »
EEEEK!   REWRITE!  How the hell did I manage to misread that union passage SOOOO badly?  I still want the goons, but they are under specific orders to NOT fly colors, my bad GM.
Okay now the post I made in the IC thread makes sense, hope not many folks saw that.   ;D  Jeez I am stupid today
« Last Edit: <11-22-10/0253:05> by Crossbow »

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #13 on: <11-22-10/0254:01> »

2 hits.
0 hits.

and Data Search + Browse (1 hit) and Computer + Edit (1 hit)to create an AR map of what we're seeing.

Man these dice suck...

Mapsoft should still have the layout of the area.  That hasn't really changed.  Mapsofts are 5 yen a piece, so it's definitely covered by your lifestyle.  As far as internal building schematics, your friendly fixer provided you with that.  Nothing too spectacular there.  "Ground floor" is actually 4 stories up from street level where the train meets the building.  The bottom four floors are an open space which was once a grand lobby and recreational shopping area with flowing fountains, but is now being used for agriculture.  The next four floors, what you saw of them, have been converted to makeshift living quarters.

etherial

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <11-22-10/1144:38> »

2 hits.
0 hits.

Man these dice suck...

Mapsoft should still have the layout of the area.  That hasn't really changed.  Mapsofts are 5 yen a piece, so it's definitely covered by your lifestyle.  As far as internal building schematics, your friendly fixer provided you with that.  Nothing too spectacular there.  "Ground floor" is actually 4 stories up from street level where the train meets the building.  The bottom four floors are an open space which was once a grand lobby and recreational shopping area with flowing fountains, but is now being used for agriculture.  The next four floors, what you saw of them, have been converted to makeshift living quarters.

Nono. I fly my blimp to the 30th floor, take pictures, and construct a 3D image of what we'll be climbing through - looking for boobytraps, treehouses, and overstressed beams.