NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1575 on: <07-14-16/1755:07> »
I know the discussion isn't a new one.  I have a player that loves to argue semantics.

So the target is in his jockey shorts hiding behind a kevlar curtain. He's in direct contact and using the curtain as his armor rating.  Does this count as "aura bleed"?

I have to choose my answers carefully, cause I know he'll extrapolate the answer to some nefarious ends.

Wearing armor doesn't affect spell targetting.

The rule of thumb I like to use is if the item is big enough to no longer be considered armor and is now a vehicle, then you can't target through it. If the item isn't carried by or affected by the character then it isn't worn armor.

If the character is making a ballistic version of the shower costume from the original Karate Kid, then the player deserves a swift slap to the back of the head.

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #1576 on: <07-14-16/1912:10> »
If the character is making a ballistic version of the shower costume from the original Karate Kid, then the player deserves a swift slap to the back of the head. 

I'm adding the swift slap to the back of the head to my GM toolkit.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Aaron

« Reply #1577 on: <07-15-16/1733:13> »
I think "wearing armor doesn't affect spell targeting" is the perfect way to sum up the situation, I think.

While the community here (in the form of Tym Jalynsfein and Kiirnodel in this case) has this pretty much wrapped up, I thought I'd poke my head in to point out that you can touch "a target through clothing, armor, or a layer of paint." (p. 281, SR5).

Thanks!

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1578 on: <07-28-16/1429:34> »
Element Aura, Street Grimoire, p. 115.

"Attacks are also treated as Cold, Electricity, Fire, or some other elemental damage (p. 105 and p. 170, SR5), and have the armor penetration appropriate to each attack.."

As written in Core (p. 170) only Fire has AP. Does Electricity or Acid has AP?
Booyah!

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1579 on: <07-28-16/1626:52> »
I would default to force as AP as is pretty much standard.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1580 on: <07-28-16/1637:39> »
I would default to force as AP as is pretty much standard.

I understand your point but that's standard for Indirect spells. Fire is different: open flame, force and flame-based weapon.

Has any freelancer or dev said anythin' about this before? I've seen general consensus in reddit but that's it.
Booyah!

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1581 on: <07-28-16/1737:54> »
Except it isn't a flame-based weapon.  It's a flame-based spell effect.

Adepts' elemental powers are more arguably elemental weapon effects, particularly since there isn't a force you can reference.

BobertTheTroll

• Newb
« Reply #1582 on: <07-30-16/0251:55> »
Question about the math behind Skill tests.

Say a decker is trying to Reboot a device.
She put 5 ranks into the computer skill, and her logic is 5, making her total computer skill 10.
The equation for Rebooting a device is computer + Logic, which means it would be her computer skill of 10 + logic because it is the stat called for in Rebooting device, for a total of 15d6 right?

The reason I wanted to double check is because of the way I'm adding Logic twice (skill points put into computer + logic to determine computer score, and the + 5 logic again because of the specific test)

Is this accurate, or am I giving her too many dice? I'm pretty sure I understand it right but I want to make sure I'm not messing anything up before our groups first run in a couple days.
Shadowrun has a bit more complicated rules than anything my group has done before, our ongoing D&D5e campaign is so simple, want to make sure I don't mess things up here.  :-[
« Last Edit: <07-30-16/0253:54> by BobertTheTroll »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1583 on: <07-30-16/0638:11> »
Good question Bobert, and a common misconception. Your concern over adding the attribute twice is correct, you only add once. Which means that the dice pool would be just the 10.

A lot of places will call for a test by stating the Skill + Attribute, which means you take the skill rating (5) and add the listed attribute (5).

"But my skill says it uses Logic," you say.  "So why isn't my total computer skill 10?"

Well, the answer is that you don't add anything to your rating in Computer when you are determining your skill. Whenever a test calls for the skill you always use the base rating. The attribute will often be referenced for clarity, to tell you which attribute to add to it. The reason for this is because you don't always use the same attribute when you use a skill.

Quote from: Core Rulebook pg 128
Skill ranks are independent of attributes, but they don't work alone. The most common dice pools that you roll when you take actions comprise one skill and one attribute. You can study until you know every aspect of Spellcasting, but if you don't have the raw Magic ability (as measured by your attribute) to apply it, you won't be as powerful as you could be. While a skill isn't always paired with a single attribute, each skill has a linked attribute to which the skill is most closely related. This doesn't mean you'll always roll a skill with its linked attribute, but you'll see the two together a lot. A list of linked attributes and their skills appears on p. 151.

The linked attribute is listed for each skill for the sake of having a "default attribute," but that doesn't mean it gets added to the skill ranks automatically. On the next page in the core book under the heading of "Skill Ratings" it goes over that again as well.

BobertTheTroll

• Newb
« Reply #1584 on: <07-30-16/1506:35> »
Thanks for the clarification. I think our reliance on using the very useful Chummer5 app to help us make our characters didn't help us out here either, since chummer goes ahead and adds that in right there one the skill page in your character sheet. Glad I double checked.
« Last Edit: <07-30-16/1508:50> by BobertTheTroll »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1585 on: <07-31-16/0144:42> »
Yeah, I frequently find myself introducing new players and using character sheets that have been printed out from a generator like Chummer or HeroLab. When I do, one of the first things I do is point out that distinction. The total dice pool listed on those sheets is already factoring in the default attribute, but it might not always be the case. And so I show them how to determine what the base skill rating is from the sheet and so forth and so on.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1586 on: <08-15-16/1249:19> »
Highland Forge Claymore and Iaijutsu. Run & Gun, page 18 and 122.

Claymore: The standard scabbard of the Highland Forge requires a Complex Action to Ready Weapon.

Iaijutsu: "With this action, the character may perform Quick Draw Simple Action (p. 165, SR5) with any melee weapon."

Can you combine both and draw the sword as Simple? And where is this "quickdraw sheath" Hard Exit speaks of?
Booyah!

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #1587 on: <08-15-16/2122:02> »
When you use iaijutsu, you are not making a ready weapon action, therefore by the book, there is no restriction on using iaijutsu with the standard scabbard.  That said, get rid of the standard scabbard immediately.

As to the quick-draw sheathe?  A quick draw holster is not exclusive to guns.  It reduces the threshold for quick drawing the holstered weapon, not gun.  It's a general term for any type of weapon that might be quick drawn, including swords and throwing weapons.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1588 on: <08-19-16/1630:23> »
When you use iaijutsu, you are not making a ready weapon action, therefore by the book, there is no restriction on using iaijutsu with the standard scabbard.  That said, get rid of the standard scabbard immediately.

As to the quick-draw sheathe?  A quick draw holster is not exclusive to guns.  It reduces the threshold for quick drawing the holstered weapon, not gun.  It's a general term for any type of weapon that might be quick drawn, including swords and throwing weapons.

The Quick Draw action, however, is exclusive to pistols, pistol-sized weapons, and small throwing weapons.  Iaijutsu allows you to use the Quick Draw rules with melee weapons and the Rapid Draw adept power allows a fairly broad application of the Quick Draw rules. 
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #1589 on: <08-28-16/2213:25> »
Fetish, Street Grimoire, 212. I did a research but only found houserules and 4th rules. Maybe I missed something new.

You gotta learn the spell twice if you wanna cast something with and without the fetish.

Do I need a fetish for every specific spell? Do I attune to it or something similar? I only pay 5 karma (to learn the spell) and 2,000 nuyens plus radical reagents?
Booyah!