NEWS

Needle Mage

• 4 Replies

Bendicott

• Newb
« on: <02-14-18/0059:21> »
So I'm working on a build idea for a new campaign... The two main concepts I want to build around are alchemy and using the Fling spell. Before anyone wastes their time commenting on how alchemy and Fling are both "bad," don't bother - I know it's not going to be breaking any records. We're going to be playing in a heavily homebrewed setting and most of the other players are new to tabletop rpgs in general; I'm usually the number-cruncher, but with this particular group I'd like to explore something a bit more niche.

So, the idea basically is to rely on stealth, flinging spell-imbued or toxin-laden (or both) needles at my opponents. I'll omit some of the generic "good stuff" to save space. Is there anything on-theme I'm missing, or do you have any ideas for things I might try out with the build? Things I'm eventually going to want, if not necessarily at char-gen (in no particular order):

Skills:
Spellcasting, Alchemy, and Stealth

Specializations:
Manipulation, Exotic Ranged Weapon (Sprayer)

Spells:
Fling (Probably Fetish?), Catch
Enabler (Alchemical Preparation, Fetish)
Recharge Potency
Improved Invisibility

Qualities:
Black Market Pipeline
Prototype Transhuman
Restricted Gear
Practice, Practice, Practice
Poisoner
Sharpshooter
Strive for Perfection

Magic Mastery:
Alchemical Bomb Maker
Apt Pupil
Archivist
Chakra Interrupter
Durable Preparations
Mystic Pitcher
Potion Maker
Practiced Alchemist

Initiation:
Fixation, Advanced Alchemy

Gear:
Manipulation Fetish, Alchemy Focus
Enchanting Gloves, Bio-fiber Pocket
Throwing Syringes, Toxins
Vault of Ages

Bioware:
Chemical Glands, Exhalation Spray
Pain Editor

Mentor:
Fire-bringer

Martial Arts:
Dim Mak
Called Shot (Pin)
Soaring Shackles
« Last Edit: <02-14-18/1911:34> by Bendicott »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-14-18/1350:56> »
I would consider adding Magic Fingers to the spell list. It doesn't have the range limitations of Fling and might be a preferable choice when you're trying to needle someone from a distance. It's not what I would use in combat - keep Fling for that - but it might be better for when you're invisible and ambushing unsuspecting targets.

Bendicott

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-14-18/1409:12> »
Yeah, I'll definitely be adding Magic Fingers for utility, and using it for ambushes is a great idea. I'm also thinking of adding levitate - I forget where I saw it, but someone in another thread suggested using it to pick up and drop heavily armored targets to inflict fall damage if you're having trouble getting past their defenses (I haven't checked the rules on this yet, so not sure how well that would work). It doesn't really fit in with the sneaky assassin theme, but it could be a telekinetic fallback for when the preferred techniques don't pan out?

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-14-18/1558:00> »
Fling alchemist can be fun... 
It also lets you use touch spells at range, which is a nice bonus. 

You definitely want to maximize your alchemy dice. Firebringer will help (both alchemy and manipulation spell bonus for fling alchemy). I am partial to just going all in on a Restricted gear R8 alchemy focus. Alchemy foci are great because they work on all spell categories (not just one category), so it's worth the investment in my book for alchemists. 

Bendicott

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-14-18/1910:46> »
Woops, forgot to add Restricted Gear to my qualities - I'll edit my post to reflect that. I'd planned on using RG (along with Prototype Metahuman) to get the Pain Editor. Combined with Archivist, it makes crafting potent compounds much easier. Can still pick up a R6 with another use of Restricted Gear after chargen... Do you think the extra two ranks would be more beneficial?