NEWS

List of useful substances in a chemical gland?

• 14 Replies

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« on: <02-10-18/0154:48> »
If one were to create a poison-based character, what good poison could I put in a chemical gland?
I know gamma scopolamine is a neat utility and partly combat poison.
But what else are there? Any good spider venoms? And in what book are they listed.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <02-10-18/1202:33> »
Remember that a chemical gland has to have a single natural, non-synthetic compound. Gamma-scopolamine is a synthetic created by combining two naturally occurring compounds, IIRC. (Something like gamma-vinyl-GABA and scopolamine. You get into unpronounceable chemical names FAST when you go into biochem.) This is part of the reason I've never cared much for them, as all the really good poisons or drugs are synthetics. However, if the chemical reservoir cyberware is still around, you could get that, and have it set to coat a cyberweapon when it first extends. That cyberware holds whatever you want, but you have to refill it. Which means you could dose your handrazors with Laes or Slab if you liked, which is a good way to end a fight quickly.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-10-18/1428:02> »
Thanks. Yeah it seems that going synthetic is definetily the easiest way to go.
But arent there any prices and avaliability on snake venoms and the like?
Alternatively I'll see if I can ditch up with some acceptable houserules for them. I know snake venom is listed in howling shadows- but no price or availability.  :-\

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-10-18/1436:26> »
Fighting with poisons is not really a good idea - unless you are an assassin.

That said, Hard Targets (p.193) gives you a pretty good one: Tetrodotoxin
Injection, Ingestion
10 minutes with Ingestion, otherwise 1 Combat Turn.
7 Physical Damage
Paralysis (Special)

The damage isn't particularly high, but the paralysis can end a fight pretty effectively.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #4 on: <02-10-18/1511:39> »
Tetrodotoxin in a chemical gland is such a strong choice, it's actually the basis of one of my recurring enemy factions.  A gang called the Fangs, lead by Snake, who's an adept with that biotech installed.  Through him, he's able to arm some of the important warriors in his gang with a paralysis toxin, making his gang a much bigger threat than their numbers would allow, even in comparison to wiz gangs.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-12-18/0232:24> »
Don't forget that you canstep outside a bit and, instead of a direct stabby-stingy type of venom, you can use ingestible-style stuff with some work. It's tricky to have a fingernail that can ooze out some cyanide (naturally found in Almonds) or, for the really ugly stuff, fire up some Platypus toxin or Gimpy-Gimpy stuff and make 'em beg for release.

(Australia, man. Not even once.)

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #6 on: <02-12-18/1246:17> »
(Australia, man. Not even once.)

LOL you don't need to worry about the platypus bro it's the freaking snails that will kill ya.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZSYi0UQNU8
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-12-18/1337:21> »
Tetrodotoxin sounds super cool. And a scary toxin to use.
Although the price is pretty steep if a PC is going to use it with a chemical gland. 120,000+ nuyen, yikes!
But this actually brings up a second question. The weapon reservoir upgrade for the chemical gland states that if used as an injector for natural weapons it must score 2 additional hits for the toxin to take effect  (page 112). Does that mean a vampire with this upgrade would need two more hits, but a dude with the bioware claws wouldnt? And would I have to deal physical damage for the toxin to take effect? And not just stun if I dont beat the armour?

Edit: Ive been looking through my mates hard target. There were 2 other toxins also (both power 5) for a much more reasonable price. Combined with the posioner quality its up to 6 power level. Not sure if its high enough to be usable.

Im planning on using a bunch of various toxins. Also stuff to slip in drinks, or as the trogs calls them: date enhancement drugs  :o
And some gamma scopolamine for leveaged "negotiations".
« Last Edit: <02-13-18/1604:17> by DigitalZombie »

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-13-18/2207:16> »
snip
But this actually brings up a second question. The weapon reservoir upgrade for the chemical gland states that if used as an injector for natural weapons it must score 2 additional hits for the toxin to take effect  (page 112). Does that mean a vampire with this upgrade would need two more hits, but a dude with the bioware claws wouldn't? And would I have to deal physical damage for the toxin to take effect? And not just stun if I don't beat the armor?
snip
What is going on here is a reference to using injection vector toxins with the gland, albeit a poorly worded one. Injection darts/arrows from the core book require the 2 additional hits to represent actually getting into the blood in a concentration to be effective.  It would appear that the same requirement is being invoked here.

But the distinction is important, you probably dont want a contact toxin weapon in your mouth.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-14-18/1924:28> »
snip
But this actually brings up a second question. The weapon reservoir upgrade for the chemical gland states that if used as an injector for natural weapons it must score 2 additional hits for the toxin to take effect  (page 112). Does that mean a vampire with this upgrade would need two more hits, but a dude with the bioware claws wouldn't? And would I have to deal physical damage for the toxin to take effect? And not just stun if I don't beat the armor?
snip
What is going on here is a reference to using injection vector toxins with the gland, albeit a poorly worded one. Injection darts/arrows from the core book require the 2 additional hits to represent actually getting into the blood in a concentration to be effective.  It would appear that the same requirement is being invoked here.

But the distinction is important, you probably dont want a contact toxin weapon in your mouth.
Unless you got immunity to that toxin. A chemical gland that gave you, say, a kiss that literally caused euphoria in people (thanks to the feel-good drugs)? Oh, I know many a Face that would abuse the hell out of that.

My Characters

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #10 on: <02-15-18/1359:28> »
Unless you got immunity to that toxin. A chemical gland that gave you, say, a kiss that literally caused euphoria in people (thanks to the feel-good drugs)? Oh, I know many a Face that would abuse the hell out of that.

Chem glands do grant you immunity to that toxin?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #11 on: <02-15-18/2033:38> »
Note that the implantation of a chemical gland in no way provides immunity, or even improved resistance, from the substance for the user.

If they gave immunity, the "gradual release" option would be useless.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-16-18/1222:27> »

Oh goodness no. Much like a snake that bites itself will die, so too do chemglands keep a wall between the person and the chemical. You're not immune, it's just sequestered. Have a cyanide pouch in your molars and take a punch hard enough, there's a  chance that you'll kill yourself by accident.

Play with poisons, be careful of scratches.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-17-18/1100:24> »

No, but there are other augments or qualities that do.

My Characters

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #14 on: <03-10-18/0521:59> »
...were t not for the cost, would be fun to generate FAB III. (2,500,000 x rating)
Forsaken daughter is watching you