NEWS

Red Samurai Armor

• 9 Replies

忍

« on: <12-21-17/1430:29> »
There hasn't been any listings of stats for their armor, has there?

If not what sort of suggestions might y'all have? Hardened armor? Elemental resistance? Etc.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <12-21-17/1441:56> »
There hasn't been any listings of stats for their armor, has there?

If not what sort of suggestions might y'all have? Hardened armor? Elemental resistance? Etc.

In past editions, the Red Samurai armor was just stylized Heavy Security Armor.  It wasn't military grade armor at all.

Which makes some sense, Red Samurai are used as both elite private security and as preventive "show pieces"... and having a bunch of guys walking around in Military style armor doesn't instill a sense of "security" in the average shopper or wageslave...it gives off more of a "Brutal Dictatorship" vibe. And that doesn't even touch on the tenuous relationship between Governments and  Corporations. I don't think Governments would like to see military armors deployed by foreign entities within their boarders, regardless of extra territoriality laws. And if the past incidents at the ACHE are any indication, Governments are not opposed to slapping down a Corp if the threat is perceived to be big enough... (Like it was when Deus gained control of the ACHE's fission reactors).

If you have access to the 4e books, I believe Red Samurai armor made an appearance in one of them (I want to say Arsenal off the top of my head).
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <12-21-17/1644:13> »
Red Samurai armor is statted up in Arsenal. Nothing for it in 5e.

The Arsenal version was slightly different than the regular milspec armor.

Modern Oyoroi Armor: 11B/11I Armor, Capacity 11, 18F Availability, 11000 nuyen. (Roughly equivalent to light milspec armor.)
Red Samurai Oyoroi Armor: 13B/13I Armor, Capacity 12, 20F Availability, 15000 nuyen. Includes fixed Mobility 2 upgrade. (Reduces encumbrance penalty to AGI and REA by 2 and adds 2 to Running.)
Kabuto Helmet: +2B/+2I Armor, Capacity 4, 10000 nuyen. Treat as military helmet.

So someone wearing a properly adjusted set of Red Samurai armor with the helmet (15B/15I armor) could have a Body of 4 and not take any penalties to AGI and REA, since milspec used Body x 3 instead of x2. 3*4=12, and the penalty scales at -1 per 2 points (or fraction thereof) that the armor exceeds that.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <12-21-17/1652:53> »
Red Samurai armor is statted up in Arsenal. Nothing for it in 5e.

The Arsenal version was slightly different than the regular milspec armor.

Modern Oyoroi Armor: 11B/11I Armor, Capacity 11, 18F Availability, 11000 nuyen. (Roughly equivalent to light milspec armor.)
Red Samurai Oyoroi Armor: 13B/13I Armor, Capacity 12, 20F Availability, 15000 nuyen. Includes fixed Mobility 2 upgrade. (Reduces encumbrance penalty to AGI and REA by 2 and adds 2 to Running.)
Kabuto Helmet: +2B/+2I Armor, Capacity 4, 10000 nuyen. Treat as military helmet.

So someone wearing a properly adjusted set of Red Samurai armor with the helmet (15B/15I armor) could have a Body of 4 and not take any penalties to AGI and REA, since milspec used Body x 3 instead of x2. 3*4=12, and the penalty scales at -1 per 2 points (or fraction thereof) that the armor exceeds that.

Hmmm, looks like I miss remembered the armor category :(  Could have sworn it was just security armor.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-27-17/1715:18> »
In London Falling, they have a troop of Red Samurai as potential enemies. It is dual-statted for SR4 and 5, so in the SR4 stats they just use Red Samurai Armor (from Arsenal). For the SR5 stats they had this: "Red Samurai (Hardened Medium Mil-spec) Armor"

So "stylized Mil-spec" is probably the best way to handle it. From the looks of it, Medium is probably the most accurate, but Light could also work (they used Light Mil-spec as the replacement for the Oyoroi Armor).

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <12-28-17/1333:34> »
If you do use medium milspec in 5E, I would say to add a custom modification/rule that gives them extra dice to run instead of halving their movement speed. The whole idea (and the 4E Arsenal stats reflect this) is that it's a highly-designed suit unique to Renraku's elite forces that is focused on fast movement and mobility.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-28-17/2109:42> »
As for the armor itself, this is still the image that I love. If I could, I'd buy this for inclusion into a thing.

https://pre00.deviantart.net/8672/th/pre/i/2014/327/d/5/srun___renraku_red_samurai_design_by_sebbythefreak-d87d8qw.jpg

&#24525;

« Reply #7 on: <01-01-18/1325:27> »
Speaking of load outs, what weapons other than their daisho would they have?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-01-18/1348:07> »
The ones in London Falling were using Nitama Optimum II Assault Rifles, with the captain wielding a Yamaha Raiden (Assault Rifle). Seems like an appropriate level of firepower for an elite force.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-02-18/0104:12> »
Speaking of load outs, what weapons other than their daisho would they have?

In general? High-end assault rifle (Smart, natch), smart heavy pistol (right hip), daisho (left hip), tanto (midback) and a small mix of extras on top of that. A group will have at least one grenade launcher and and MG if doing high-end combat support. If on bodyguard duty, they'll be more lightly-armed but will have heavier stuff stored *somewhere* nearby ... the vehicle they came in, for instance.

There aren't many of them, but they're all really, really good at what they do.