NEWS

Resisting Drug Addiction

• 10 Replies

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« on: <03-15-13/1444:58> »
Hi everybody, so what is there out there for med/genetech, 'ware, etc. to help resist Addiction Checks (I know this is the Gear section, but also what about Qualities and such)?

I'm aware of the Nephritic Screen, but I'm trying to put together a drug using character build and that cuts the duration of the drugs too so it's kind of a double edged sword... I'm continuing to look, but figured you guys might have some of this knowledge of the tops of your collective head.

Thanks in advance!

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-15-13/1903:14> »
[plugging opportunity for CanRay]

Anything that boosts willpower will also help, while body and logic will help with physical and mental addiction, respectively. Daredrenaline, Cerebral Boosters and the Suprathyroid Gland come to mind.

If you're intending to go heavily into drugs, I'd look at ways of keeping your character alive when they're not looking after themselves - like the digester endosymbiont. (which is one of the few symbionts available at char gen)

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #2 on: <03-15-13/1924:25> »
Yeah, I have the Daredrenaline and Suprathyroid on him, not sure yet if the Cerebral Boosters will "fit" with the character... is that all we got to work with?

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-18-13/1100:49> »
Yeah, this question seems custom tailored for CanRay.  I can't say for certain, as I haven't ponied up the money for it yet, but the book "Sim Dreams & Nightmares" might have more on that for you, or give you some other ideas of tricks people try to minimize their additions.

I know you can pick it up here: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/112345/Shadowrun%3A-Sim-Dreams-%26-Nightmares?filters=0_0_1700_0_0 for one.
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

I_V_Saur

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <03-18-13/1226:35> »
Just saying, it might be a good idea to get Infected. If you plan to use combat Drugs, or really any sort, long-term, you're likely looking at Essence Loss. Combating that with the ability to steal other people's Essence sounds like a really good idea to me - plus, the Regeneration Power would probably undo some of the negative impact. You'll still get addicted, but it's less likely to rip you apart physically.

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #5 on: <03-18-13/1235:00> »
Just saying, it might be a good idea to get Infected.
Interesting ... I'll have to look into it.

Mihaly87

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-16-17/0330:15> »
In order to quit your addition it is important that you have enough will power so that you can fight against it. I had opiate addiction and I tried various things but they didn’t work. Then I got the counseling at opiate detox norfolk center which motivated me to get over all this.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-16-17/0741:06> »
As for qualities, there's the Ozzy Osbourne Syndrome from Chrome Flesh, p. 54.
DRUG TOLERANT
(COST: 6 KARMA)
The character has a higher-than-average tolerance for
drugs (sometimes called Ozzy Osborne Syndrome). This
could be due to a hardy constitution, or a natural genetic
mutation that allows for better absorption and filtering
of foreign chemicals from their system. The character in
question receives +2 dice to all Addiction Tests (p. 414,
SR5) to resist addiction. They gain no bonus, however,
for attempting to dry out after being addicted.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #8 on: <09-16-17/0830:13> »
you're likely looking at Essence Loss.

You're not, review 5th drug rules. It now effect related stat. It's also very not dangerous at all if you character is careful. Between nephritic screens and a good related stat, so long as you avoid k10 and save point of edge or two and it's basically risk free.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-16-17/1037:11> »
you're likely looking at Essence Loss.

You're not, review 5th drug rules. It now effect related stat. It's also very not dangerous at all if you character is careful. Between nephritic screens and a good related stat, so long as you avoid k10 and save point of edge or two and it's basically risk free.

Review the date of the post you quoted.

adzling

« Reply #10 on: <09-16-17/1113:02> »
thread necro by a healthcare spammer!