NEWS

Rules & Such for Previous Editions

• 7 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« on: <07-23-13/1537:20> »
This sub-forum was created so questions and discussion of rules of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th edition can be found a bit easier than in the flood of 5th edition questions that are taking place. I've moved some of the threads over (mostly ones that mentioned the edition in the title). I figure this will make it easier to discuss the rules for these editions without the topic getting "lost".

MouthyMerc

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <02-11-14/1853:08> »
Hey chummers, maybe you can help me with an issue I've been having lately. I've been rolling a lot of neutrals (3s & 4s only or the hits/glitches cancel out) in my games and I wanted to know if there were any rules on how to play neutral rolls. What do other GMs do when this happens? I almost forgot, I'm running the anniversary 4th edition.
« Last Edit: <02-11-14/1855:28> by MouthyMerc »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <02-12-14/0051:38> »
Neutral rolls aren't really a thing in Shadowrun 4th edition.  There's hits, and there's 1s.  If you get more 1s than half your dice pool, the roll is a glitch, even if there are hits on the roll.  If you glitch with no hits, it's a critical glitch.  Other than that, there's no such thing as a "neutral."
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-12-14/0102:35> »
I think he might be stuck in the mindset of Old World of Darkness where 1s would negate a die that showed as a 'success'.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-12-14/0147:46> »
Hey chummers, maybe you can help me with an issue I've been having lately. I've been rolling a lot of neutrals (3s & 4s only or the hits/glitches cancel out) in my games and I wanted to know if there were any rules on how to play neutral rolls. What do other GMs do when this happens? I almost forgot, I'm running the anniversary 4th edition.

It means you get 0 hits.  No more, no less.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #5 on: <02-12-14/1000:30> »
I think he might be stuck in the mindset of Old World of Darkness where 1s would negate a die that showed as a 'success'.

Yeah that is still something that my players do sometimes.  After three years of SR4 and SR5.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #6 on: <03-01-14/0145:05> »

Yeah that is still something that my players do sometimes.  After three years of SR4 and SR5.

Looks like RHat is stuck there, too.

Merc, just because you glitch doesn't mean you can't succeed - and vice-versa.  As Namikaze has stated, 1s don't eliminate hits, and you only glitch if half or more of your total dice are 1s.  That can be a jammed gun (though the shot you fired hits the guy just fine), a trip during your successful sprint, or your rappelling gear fouling up despite a successful plunge - anything that messes with you.

So you either get hits sufficient to succeed, or not enough hits to succeed, or no hits at all.  If you have 50+% of your dice rolling 1, you glitch - glitching after the success (had enough hits to succeed), or glitching in a way that prevents the success (not enough hits to succeed, e.g. gun failing to fire/misfiring, tripping before the sprint, gear fouling up before you get very far down the building), or critically glitching (no hits, meaning the gun jam-fires, exploding the gun in your hand, or you trip right into the line of fire or onto dangerous material or off the edge of the building, or you accidentally hit the quick-release on your rappelling gear and now you're falling).

Any questions?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-01-14/0233:42> »

Looks like RHat is stuck there, too.

Merc, just because you glitch doesn't mean you can't succeed - and vice-versa.  As Namikaze has stated, 1s don't eliminate hits, and you only glitch if half or more of your total dice are 1s.  That can be a jammed gun (though the shot you fired hits the guy just fine), a trip during your successful sprint, or your rappelling gear fouling up despite a successful plunge - anything that messes with you.

So you either get hits sufficient to succeed, or not enough hits to succeed, or no hits at all.  If you have 50+% of your dice rolling 1, you glitch - glitching after the success (had enough hits to succeed), or glitching in a way that prevents the success (not enough hits to succeed, e.g. gun failing to fire/misfiring, tripping before the sprint, gear fouling up before you get very far down the building), or critically glitching (no hits, meaning the gun jam-fires, exploding the gun in your hand, or you trip right into the line of fire or onto dangerous material or off the edge of the building, or you accidentally hit the quick-release on your rappelling gear and now you're falling).

Any questions?

Oh, damn, looks like I misread - somehow I thought he was asking about rolls where every die showed a 2, 3, or 4.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites