NEWS

Sprawl Gangers

• 221 Replies

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <01-30-13/0949:47> »

Pre-painted is not something to be avoided. In fact, I think that all of them should be pre-constructed and painted. It does not have to be "clicky" like the old Mage Knight to be such.

To be honest, I hate prepainted. I hate the pathfinder ones. I prefer the metals. Clicky or prepainted wont see my money. I enjoy building and painting. The metakl reaper pathfinder minis are amazing.

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #16 on: <01-30-13/1028:09> »

Pre-painted is not something to be avoided. In fact, I think that all of them should be pre-constructed and painted. It does not have to be "clicky" like the old Mage Knight to be such.

To be honest, I hate prepainted. I hate the pathfinder ones. I prefer the metals. Clicky or prepainted wont see my money. I enjoy building and painting. The metakl reaper pathfinder minis are amazing.

That's a quick way to garner disinterest across the brand.

"Buy our product, but the only way it won't look like shit is if you've been doing miniatures for years, or have gobs of natural talent. Average Shadowrun player? Fuck you. The mini guys would rather customize then let you purchase a product that looks good out of the box. "

Shadowrun is an RPG first, and TPTB are aware that many, if not most of their sales of Crossfire are going to come from their core customers.

What effect exporting the mini production to another company  will have? I'm not sure. If they were just doing standard metal minis, they'd likely have gone with Iron Wind Metals again. Somethings up. I'm hoping we'll get our wish with out-of-the-box-usable minis.
« Last Edit: <01-30-13/1033:43> by Wildcard »
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <01-30-13/1317:13> »

What effect exporting the mini production to another company  will have? I'm not sure. If they were just doing standard metal minis, they'd likely have gone with Iron Wind Metals again. Somethings up. I'm hoping we'll get our wish with out-of-the-box-usable minis.

What effect?

Pathfinder's export to reaper seems to be doing great. You ship mimiature production to folks that under stand miniature productuion. Reaper tends to be at the top of the heap for general miniature use. Iron winds is ok, but I wouldnt rate them as better then Reaper. GW is great for plastics, but their miniatrues are WAY overpriced and stay away from the finecast stuff.

"Buy our product, but the only way it won't look like shit is if you've been doing miniatures for years, or have gobs of natural talent. Average Shadowrun player? Fuck you. The mini guys would rather customize then let you purchase a product that looks good out of the box. "

Not really. Having seen some stuff that, in your words "looks great out of the box" looks like something I buy my kid in the dollar section. No its not always great right out of the box. Thats also a quick way to garner disinterest.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-30-13/1327:50> »

Not really. Having seen some stuff that, in your words "looks great out of the box" looks like something I buy my kid in the dollar section. No its not always great right out of the box. Thats also a quick way to garner disinterest.

They look better than what "paint your own" do when you try to do it yourself and don't have either those 'years of experience' or 'gobs of natural talent'.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <01-30-13/1341:20> »

They look better than what "paint your own" do when you try to do it yourself and don't have either those 'years of experience' or 'gobs of natural talent'.

I can tell you've never wargamed or seen miniatures painted. No, their not even after that in many cases.

There are also services that do that, ones I use that I really dont have time anymore.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-30-13/1412:15> »

I can tell you've never wargamed or seen miniatures painted. No, their not even after that in many cases.

There are also services that do that, ones I use that I really dont have time anymore.

I have a couple times, and the people who've done it a while or have a lot of talent do have some cool looking pieces, but if you're just starting you have to either have a lot of the 'natural talent' or blow even more money to get 'em looking decent. (Unless you're lucky enough to get a really good deal on ones that someone else already painted on Ebay or something.)

Ympulse

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <01-30-13/1420:50> »
I never really understood the binary thinking that most people have with this sort of thing.

Is it not possible that the "Core" will come with prepaints for those of us (like me and apparently A4BG) that have quite literally ZERO artistic talent when it comes to painting things, and then have 4-6 metal minis for painting as well? And additional packs for the enthusiasts?

I mean honestly, I don't know why someone in this business wouldn't give the gamers the best of both worlds, especially for a new game.

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #22 on: <01-30-13/1423:54> »
I mean honestly, I don't know why someone in this business wouldn't give the gamers the best of both worlds, especially for a new game.

Licensing.
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <01-30-13/1432:56> »
All in all, they'll probably do better with sales with pre-painted. It will open the new game up to a wider variety of potential fans. Unpainted will pretty much restrict it to those who already have hundreds to thousands of dollars sunk into other minis games.

I will however admit that I would prefer metal over plastic. Metal being more durable, and I'd feel that I got a better deal for my money than with plastic.
« Last Edit: <01-30-13/1444:58> by All4BigGuns »

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #24 on: <01-30-13/1434:12> »
Not really. Having seen some stuff that, in your words "looks great out of the box" looks like something I buy my kid in the dollar section.

Anecdotal.

AT-43 out of the box

Battletech out of the box and after several attempted paintjobs and supergluings (Courtesy of ScrapyardArmory.com)

Prepainted, all the way, every day.

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <01-30-13/1508:04> »

Licensing.

Pretty much that. Even Pathfinder miniatures, the prepainted and metal miniatures are done seperately- reaper for metals, wizkids for prepainted.

@ wildcard, I've owned those miniatures. The pictures do not align with what comes out of the box. I've owned several of those miniatures and they dont match to the picture when you get them home and out of the box. Therians especially.

Oh and Anecdotal on your own set of stuff(see how easy its to do that?), Just because you cant doesnt mean one cant. You probably werent taught well. Couple colors and then dipping makes it very easy. Especially when you have to do 20,30,40 of the same model.

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <01-30-13/1513:09> »

I have a couple times, and the people who've done it a while or have a lot of talent do have some cool looking pieces, but if you're just starting you have to either have a lot of the 'natural talent' or blow even more money to get 'em looking decent. (Unless you're lucky enough to get a really good deal on ones that someone else already painted on Ebay or something.)

Dipping.

Its a simple process that even I, with no talent can do. Trust me, I doubt your a worse painter then me, and I suck. But its prime, base coat, couple colors then you dip in wood stain.

Step by step:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43744/the-dip-method-a-step-by-step-guide-to-painting-mi

EDIT: better link I think

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/687047/painting-plastic-minis-a-how-to-guide-for-beginn

*shrug* All I know is that my old DM had cases and cases of prepainted minis, more then one could count. Still turned to me for miniatures. Metal ones generally hold up better and look better long term.
« Last Edit: <01-30-13/1515:06> by carmachu »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <01-30-13/1517:22> »
As I said, I would prefer metal for durability, but just because YOU can do something doesn't mean "anyone can do it", and the fact of the matter remains that pre-painted will open up a wider customer base for sales. Not to mention that despite you're BS drivel, pre-painted look perfectly fine.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #28 on: <01-30-13/1527:26> »
As I said, I would prefer metal for durability, but just because YOU can do something doesn't mean "anyone can do it", and the fact of the matter remains that pre-painted will open up a wider customer base for sales. Not to mention that despite you're BS drivel, pre-painted look perfectly fine.

Hey, a but harsh.  Also, I'm not sure pre painted is a bigger market.  Seems to me hat, locally, warhammer, horde, war machine ect are more popular.  Pathfinder pre painted sell ok, but only to pathfinder players (a myself looking for elemenatls miniatures).  I am a terrible painter, I destroy brushes quickly and my glue keeps drying up.  But I'm still painting imperial guard minis for my shadowrun game. And strangely enough, the more I paint, the more I enjoy it.

Also, people will want to customize their mini and thats a big draw for some people. I would love this produ to bring in some more players from the other wargames.  It has a lot of potential there.  I would certainly play it at my lfgs and run demos just for this.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <01-30-13/1530:52> »

Hey, a but harsh.  Also, I'm not sure pre painted is a bigger market.  Seems to me hat, locally, warhammer, horde, war machine ect are more popular.  Pathfinder pre painted sell ok, but only to pathfinder players (a myself looking for elemenatls miniatures).  I am a terrible painter, I destroy brushes quickly and my glue keeps drying up.  But I'm still painting imperial guard minis for my shadowrun game. And strangely enough, the more I paint, the more I enjoy it.

Also, people will want to customize their mini and thats a big draw for some people. I would love this produ to bring in some more players from the other wargames.  It has a lot of potential there.  I would certainly play it at my lfgs and run demos just for this.

Bigger market is relative since the minis aren't a huge market anyway.