NEWS

I'm new, completely new

• 7 Replies

Madroxx

• Newb
« on: <10-09-10/0011:42> »
I've yet to play a game, but the theme interests me, and so does this game. My issue is I don't really have time to play in person, is there ways to play online? But that's besides the point, what should I purchase to start up, learn the rules and what not, anything special. Basically I'm just looking for any advice on how to immerse myself. Thank you ahead of time, and I appreciate your time.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-09-10/0020:01> »
First off, get the Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Edition core rulebook. That will get you all the basics on the rules. For the setting, pick up the Sixth World Almanac. That will give you all you need for the Sixth World.

I'd recommend PDFs first so you can go through them and make sure you'd like them all (and they only cost $40 total). If you do like them, then you can pick up the hardcovers if you want.

Amazon links:
Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Edition
Sixth World Almanac

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-09-10/0044:55> »
While I of course advocate buying into this wonderful universe (I am biased), for a brand new person unfamiliar with the setting, the Almanac may be a little to "insider" for you.

I know the universe, but haven't followed the last 17 IC and real life years and found a lot of the Almanac presupposed information I didn't already know.

SR4A is absolutely worth the money. Jumps into the rules and the mini stories get you a feel for the universe very fast.

The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

Madroxx

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-09-10/0058:57> »
While I of course advocate buying into this wonderful universe (I am biased), for a brand new person unfamiliar with the setting, the Almanac may be a little to "insider" for you.

I know the universe, but haven't followed the last 17 IC and real life years and found a lot of the Almanac presupposed information I didn't already know.

SR4A is absolutely worth the money. Jumps into the rules and the mini stories get you a feel for the universe very fast.

What is IC? I'm very new.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-09-10/0158:24> »
I think what Maddrox needs first is a good explanation what RPG is in general,but I don't have a good american Link.If one of You could provide it.
Maddrox needs to learn  to stand(to know what is RPG) and to Walk(Play RPG in General before he can (Shadow)run ;)

HokaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <10-09-10/0511:20> »

What is IC? I'm very new.

In Character.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Madroxx

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <10-09-10/0742:31> »
I think what Maddrox needs first is a good explanation what RPG is in general,but I don't have a good american Link.If one of You could provide it.
Maddrox needs to learn  to stand(to know what is RPG) and to Walk(Play RPG in General before he can (Shadow)run ;)

HokaHey
Medicineman

This is really what I need, can anyone give me that?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <10-09-10/1436:46> »
Most core rulebooks have a blurb about what RPGs are, to give you an idea of what you're playing. If you want something that goes into great detail about games and their history, I'd recommend The Fantasy Roleplaying Gamer's Bible (hell, I'd recommend it to people playing since the 70s; it's THAT good). Here and here are quick blurbs that are better than the "dictionary" definitions.