NEWS

Cyber fang + Natural venom quality

• 7 Replies

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« on: <10-01-10/1437:38> »
So i am playing around with a PC idea that will have surge (class 1) Natural venom, Genetic heritage (second chemical gland in arm for Cyber weapon), gene-crafted for future discounts of genetic alterations, and 3 restricted gear (supra thyroid, move by wire, muscle toner).

My question is could I take the cyber fangs to provide the bite attack for the Natural venom chemical gland. The rules stat you could take the fang quality, but nothing in chemical gland or in the quality talks about the fang implants. You would think you could, but I want clarification/opinion about it?

Thanks for your time.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-01-10/1723:28> »
I don't see why not. The only question would be whether base model cyber fangs are suitable for toxin delivery. If not, then you might want to work out a cost modifier with your GM. I wouldn't expect it to more than double the price though.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-01-10/2054:51> »
Cool, I don't even think he will see the light of the day as far as playing...just like creating PC/NPC and trying different things. Saw an awesome special on Cobra venom, and how Cobra unlike some other snakes is immune to their own venom (Snake wrangler). Being neurotoxic the venom covers up the Central nervous system relay points so the msg for the lungs or heart fell to reach it. The difference between cobra's receptors and ours is there had two sugar molecules on them that act like little barriers so the venom cannot bind to the site.

The natural venom quality gives you immunity to that toxin, and one chemical gland found in the neck area. But if you add other glands for cobra venom you no longer have to worry about getting hit with the venom. I was thinking of taking one gland and pumping it straight into my blood, any critter that bites me better be immune to the venom :)

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-03-10/1830:00> »
Genetic heritage is the quality that gives you the discount on future geneware - if you have it, then you don't need genecrafted.

From a character background perspective, as a GM I would want to know why someone modified the character natally to have a poison gland capable of poisoning a cyberweapon.  I mean, you're not having a kid at that point, you're designing  a bioweapon.  And on top of that, how would they know to make this poison gland the same kind of poison the character gets through SURGE?  Is he a second-generation changeling, or cloned from one?  I'm not saying you couldn't explain it, but most explanations would probably involve the character being an escapee from some secret corporate laboratory.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #4 on: <10-04-10/1414:02> »
I have a character that's an escapee from a secret corp lab.  He's a bit different than this though.

Anyway, even if the character was a changeling clone or second generation there's no guarantee that he would end up with the same abilities.  If you can't clone a mage and get a mage I doubt you could clone a changeling to get the same thing.  Magic seems to be a bit more unpredictable.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-04-10/1808:09> »
Glyph: You do need both Heritage gives you discount on specific transgenic genetic enhancements, were as gene crafted gives you discount is for any genetic enhancement. Heritage further gives me one genetic modification which will be used for second chemical gland.

As far as playability, having the heritage quality is a not really possible for this PC background, and I will not try to say I have a good plan on that :) I am just making up NPC's to see what combinations there are and which ones I like. If I would make someone like this I would drop the Heritage quality.

I have one that could be a PC that comes from Hong Kong. He would need to be Okayed by a GM (lacking one at the moment) but I think he is doable. His surge is class 2 which by the information presented is more in line with animal traits. So being from Hong Kong and a mix of Asian and British blood he would Surge with Cobra traits. Positive traits would be natural venom, Fangs, and Thermal sensitivity. Negative would be scales, and if given permission from a GM instead of reptile eyes for 5BP i would ask for a tongue in line with how the snake’s thermal sensitivity works. If I want to employ that quality he would have to flicker out his snake tongue. This negative quality will give the PC the Distinctive Style with zero BP in return (All the advanced character options in this book automatically suffer the effects of Distinctive Style and do not get a BP bonus. RC page 103). He seems amazing to me, he would start in Seattle after smuggling himself into the country on a freight liner then catching a boat into Everett. I have a good series of contacts that mirror his life in Hong Knog and some should help him resettle into Seattle

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <10-11-10/0654:29> »
If I'm not mistaken the tongue in/tongue out routine of snakes has nothing to do with their thermal sensitivity (which use external receptors pits on the head), but is used to bring back scents to receptors in the roof of the mouth.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-11-10/1420:10> »

Smell
Snakes use smell to track their prey. They smell by using their forked tongues to collect airborne particles, then passing them to the vomeronasal organ orJacobson's organ in the mouth for examination.[34] The fork in the tongue gives snakes a sort of directional sense of smell and taste simultaneously.[34] They keep their tongues constantly in motion, sampling particles from the air, ground, and water, analyzing the chemicals found, and determining the presence of prey or predators in the local environment

Infrared sensitivity
Pit vipers, pythons, and some boas have infrared-sensitive receptors in deep grooves between the nostril and eye, although some have labial pits on their upper lip just below the nostrils (common in pythons), which allow them to "see" the radiated heat of warm-blooded prey mammals

you are right as far as the thermal on snakes works, I was thinking smell and got them all gobbled up lol.