NEWS

Damage & Drain Resistance modifiers

• 6 Replies

Bradd

• Omae
« on: <09-17-10/1853:30> »
Just want to double-check that I understand something correctly, because I think my group got it wrong initially.

When you make a Damage Resistance Test, you ignore Wound Modifiers, but all other global modifiers still apply. For example, if you're sustaining two spells, you take -4 dice to DR tests. When you make a Drain Resistance Test, you ignore Wound Modifiers and spell sustaining modifiers, but again all other global modifiers apply. Confusion spells are really nasty.

Correct?

(For some reason, my group originally thought that modifiers never apply to Resistance tests of any kind, but that's definitely not true for Spell Resistance.)

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-17-10/1901:08> »
The book only says that wound modifiers don't apply, but doesn't mention any other type of modifier so I would say that sustaining a spell or such would apply
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-18-10/0433:41> »
Hmm hmm, as far as I know, you don't apply spell sustaining modifiers to any damage resistance test, you don't apply confusion, or anything else. If modifiers apply to a damage resistance test, whether it is a drain, or technodrain, or a bullet you take in the chest, or anything else, if a specific modifier applies, it'll be said very precisely, probably. But being confused doesn't make a troll less resistant. The confusion spell modifiers will already apply to the troll's defensive test.
The modifiers you apply generally depend on the damage source (APDS ammo, Ex-ex, classic drain, poison or toxin), and your defensive options (armor, cyberware against toxins, racial modifiers, and so).
« Last Edit: <09-18-10/0435:49> by anotherJack »
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #3 on: <09-18-10/1116:01> »
In damage resistance test only the wound mod are ignored. Sustaining mods still apply to Damage Resistance test. Pg 174 SR4A Step 6 Resist Drain: Note that wound modifiers or sustained spells have NO affect on the characters dice pool for Drain Resistance.
Commanding Officer of the Floridian Ninja Surfing Drop Bear Pirates!!!

Shah Dude!!

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-18-10/1459:21> »
Right. I mainly wanted to confirm that those are the only modifiers you ignore. Sometimes the rules are scattered a bit, and I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss any more special cases or general rules.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-18-10/1508:28> »
I'm really really surprised since none of my french fellows nor me never seen this. And it really makes the confusion and cie spells more interesting.
You got example of others modifiers that apply to resistance tests ? I thought to "nausea" and the modifier for electric damages, tey don't work, but the paralysis modifier seems to work.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-18-10/1528:50> »
At first I thought of the -2 mod for being in an uncontrolled vehicle, but that applies to "actions," which doesn't include Resistance tests as far as I can tell. I think I've seen a handful of others, but I'd have to search my PDFs to find them again.