NEWS

Value of BioCompatability

• 19 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #15 on: <09-17-10/0948:53> »
For those of us who read English and only have the English PDFs is there a location that we can be directed to to check this out?
Sadly the english errata for Augmentation has never been released.
As a GM, I'd rule that if you have Type "O", then you can only choose Biocompatibility for Cyberware.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #16 on: <09-18-10/0639:33> »
Value of Biocompatability?

Around 30,000¥, give or take, depending on whether you favor bioware or cyberware.

Just think of it as .6 essence saved on a .01 essence cybermonster, and then see how much more it would cost to upgrade your ware to save that same essence.

It can make a difference if you're already at your starting money cap, but otherwise, it's not as good as the money. 
« Last Edit: <09-18-10/1709:10> by Kontact »

System

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <09-18-10/1544:02> »
In the long run it is more valuable than starting cash.  Up front, or for short term characters, not so much.  The amount of money you can make in Shadowrun is technically unlimited.  You can only get the equivalent of 9 essence if by chance you manage to be able to afford/manage to go full deltaware.  Biocompatibility allows you to go for that 9.6.  Plus there are other game mechanics affected by your essence total.   I personally don't like it as a quality.   I think it is a little bit too munchkin.  Having a hard cap for essence is part of the game in my opinion.  But I guess to an extent it tries to balance the game out a little by increasing the amount of ware you can handle to keep up with the awakened characters.  4th Edition has done that with a lot of things already anyhow.  The Smartlink got discounted 80% down to .1 and went from being essentially a full body mod with a simsense rig to gauge your body position, a ballistic computer to calculate angles and movement, and a induction pad and became a simple eye mod.  Chipjacks and datajacks got combined and discounted 75%, etc.  Evens out somewhat with the way bioware is calculated now, but the game is definitely allowing players to jam pack more stuff into themselves than it did in the past.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-18-10/1617:04> »
You can actually get an 80% discount on cyberware by combinin bio comb and adapsin with a suite of deltaware implants, allowing you to instal 29,99 essence worth of cyber ware.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #19 on: <09-18-10/1708:21> »
Yeah, you can technically get Biocompatability after Chargen by taking it as a transgenic genetic mod.  It counts as a SURGE quality, and you can buy SURGE qualities as gene mods.

Naturally, the gene mod would eat up a bit of essence, but, like Mäx says, in the long run, your Essence cap is pretty soft.