NEWS

Question on Gas-Vent Systems

• 19 Replies

Vystek

• Newb
« on: <02-10-11/2322:19> »
SR4 says gas-vents can be built into machine pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, and machine guns; is this rule generall taken to be pretty hard-and-fast, or is it flexible? My question is in regard to the Mossberg AM-CMDT--it's a full-auto shotgun and one of my players wants to take the edge off its recoil with some gas venting.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-11-11/0152:22> »
Gas Vents are incompatible with Buckshot
but ok if You only use Slugs

with a compatible Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #2 on: <02-11-11/0804:39> »
SR4 says gas-vents can be built into machine pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, and machine guns; is this rule generall taken to be pretty hard-and-fast, or is it flexible? My question is in regard to the Mossberg AM-CMDT--it's a full-auto shotgun and one of my players wants to take the edge off its recoil with some gas venting.

One of the only benefits of the AA-16 full-auto shotgun (an 8000¥ 18R weapon,) is that it has 2 points of GV recoil.

That seems like a pretty big mark on the devs part in the column of "full-auto shotgun fire is SRS BIZ"

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-11-11/0836:51> »
Shotguns in the SR Missions often show up with gas vents
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #4 on: <02-11-11/1043:25> »

with a compatible Dance
Medicineman
Could you point out in which book it says that? I haven't found it in my readings.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-11-11/1049:05> »

with a compatible Dance
Medicineman
Could you point out in which book it says that? I haven't found it in my readings.
I'm sorry I can't but I'm pretty shure of It

with a very shure Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-11-11/1112:49> »
I believe it doesn't explicitly say.  It simply lists the various weapons that can have the GV system built in, which doesn't include shotguns.  However, nothing says that it can't have the modification added on afterward.

I imagine that the big restriction on shotguns not using GV with shot (flechette) ammo is because of the choke that's on the barrel.  Using a shotgun that only handles solid slugs would alleviate this issue.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <02-11-11/1342:27> »
Quote from: SR4A, p. 322
Gas-vent systems can be built into machine pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, and machine guns.
Since it leaves Shotguns, Sniper rifles and other types out of the list, I'd say that you can't add them to those left out of the list.

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-11-11/1354:11> »
Not even the Auto Assault-16 which comes with an integral gas vent 2 system?

While I can see commercially available gas vents (purchased with proper registration of course) being available only in the automatics/machine gun variety, I think the integral gas vent weapon mod should be available to any gun.  After all, the modification rules imply you know your way around a firearm with the Armorer skill and there are examples of it being used on shotguns and the like.  While it might not be "standard" I think its at least "possible".

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <02-11-11/1406:44> »
Again, it's up to the GM. They probably left those out of the rules for balance issues, but I can see it as a mod, like Dakka says.

Morg

« Reply #10 on: <02-11-11/1600:41> »
Again, it's up to the GM. They probably left those out of the rules for balance issues, but I can see it as a mod, like Dakka says.

I have always run the idea that if a gun was designed from the ground up to do a thing then it can do it!
a mod is only a change on the original design so if the unmoded gun breaks the rules then it was made that way by the manufactures. In essence if the GM wants a super machine gun Shotgun with a gas vent 4 then it is in the game

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-12-11/0012:43> »
How 'bout a super-machinegun grenade launcher with gas vent?

Or a super-machine gun assault cannon?  With gyro-stabilization and AV rounds, and a nifty Pilot program to assist in targetting with smartlink, and milimeter band radar to target through objects and...

Sorry.  I'm back now.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #12 on: <02-12-11/0526:31> »
Personally, I'd be happier to leave gas vents to the AA-16 (which is more expensive and harder to find than a GE Vigilant Light Autocannon) and instead nix the double uncompensated recoil penalties.

WareWolf

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <02-13-11/1957:53> »
Speaking of Gas vets any chance we will ever see the old gas vent 4 reintroduced?

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #14 on: <02-14-11/1601:52> »
I'd personally allow gas vents on sniper and shot guns only firing a single projectile (e.g. not flechette).  IRL the gas vents are based on the concept of the 'muzzle break', which are usually only used on higher caliber weapons.  Though I have seen a muzzle break on a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel.