NEWS

Dikote

• 15 Replies

Morg

« on: <02-05-11/1130:15> »
Quote from: Shadowrun: Denver @ http://denver.wikidot.com/index:master-index
Dikote is a process that deposits a thin diamond film on any solid surface. The diamond film imparts more structural strength and resilience. Dikoted surfaces are smooth and relatively frictionless, conduct heat well and can be modified to conduct electricity.

Not everything can be glazed with Dikote. The item treated must be able to withstand the heat generated by the plasma used in the glazing process. Cloth and plastic cannot be coated, though ceramics and most metals can.

Dikoting a surface adds 2 to the Barrier Rating and 1 to any ballistic and impact armor. If used to coat a vehicle or drone, Dikote adds 1 to the vehicle's Body and Armor Ratings; it takes up no CF.

When Dikote is used to coat a melee, throwing or projectile weapon, add 1 to the Power of any attack made with the treated weapon. If applied to an edged instrument such as a sword, the weapon's Damage Level is also increased by one. For example, a sword that is normally (STR + 2)M would have a Damage Code of (STR + 3)S if Dikoted. Barriers use their normal ratings against Dikoted melee weapons (as opposed to the standard double ratings against melee attacks). Dikoting costs 1,000 nuyen per 100 square centimeters (minimum 1,000 nuyen cost).

I have used Dikote a massive amount in SR3 but in SR4 it is strangely omitted except in fluff peaces anyone know why this wonderful chem treatment failed to make the cut?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <02-05-11/1306:30> »
Fluff-wise, I think they just put Dikote on everything nowadays. Kinda like how you can find Teflon™ and Gore-Tex™ in the real world.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-05-11/1624:13> »
Because Dikote was way to imbalanced !
We houseruled it (for those 2 Players who couldn't live without it) to AP -1

with a balanced Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Morg

« Reply #3 on: <02-05-11/1640:37> »
that dosn't mean that it couldn't have been rebalanced and added to the game

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-06-11/1127:04> »
I had folks dikote bullets.  When barrel degradation was mentioned, they just dikoted the barrels!

Dikote often got abused on the arrowhead end of things, and I actually had a GM use a troll with a full strength bow and dikoted arrows shoot someone from inside a limosine.  When I asked how he could see inside the limo (we were protecting the guy) he replied "thermographic vision."  When I asked how he saw the guy in a completely climate controlled limosine through walls with the exact same temperature as the outside air (thus absolutely removing any possibility of this completely made up way of seeing through objects) he said "he guessed."

I don't remember much after that, as I turned my brain off and just sorta rolled with whatever the group was doing.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-07-11/1335:04> »
Yep, basically because everyone used to Dikote everything, now everything is Dikoted as standard.  So you can't extra-Dikote things.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

imperialus

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <02-14-11/2334:59> »
But then how can you sleep with your ally spirit inhabiting your dikoted  slivergun? :o

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-15-11/0430:48> »
I thought you just straight Dikoted the ally spirit?   ;D
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-15-11/1108:24> »
Would there be a dikote spirit?  Could you have him cover you for amazing armor?
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #9 on: <02-15-11/1929:43> »
Would there be a dikote spirit?  Could you have him cover you for amazing armor?
I'd be interested to see any spirit willingly undergo the high-heat Dikote imprinting process...

Then all that loverly tech gets dropped to the floor when it returns to the astral (I don't think Dikote is dual natured.... :P )
« Last Edit: <02-15-11/2004:06> by Charybdis »
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #10 on: <02-15-11/1943:01> »
A Great Great Form Spirit of Earth?  Fire?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-15-11/2006:51> »
A Great Great Form Spirit of Earth?  Fire?
They'd probably survive it, sure...but:
A) They wouldn't be happy  >:(
B) This would count as 'abusing a spirit' in my book (which leaves a stain in your aura)  :o
C) Theoretically, the Dikote covering would only last as long as the spirit stayed manifested  :-\
D) there's no rules as to how Dikote would affect an item in 4e  ???
E) It's just munchkin-like cheese being applied, so wouldn't pass the 1st of several vetting questions by my GM   ;D

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <02-15-11/2310:52> »
This is where possession spirits come in.  :P

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-15-11/2333:53> »
This is where possession spirits come in.  :P
*laughs*

To do what, possess your body and stick you into a Dikote pressure-cooker?   :o

Errr, no thanks  :-\

Phreak Commandment V:

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #14 on: <02-15-11/2345:26> »
Sounds like a way to get petrified...though I suppose you could also do it if you had enough cyberware.  Maybe that's why cyberzombies have Immunity to Normal Weapons?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.