NEWS

My Shadowrun book

• 14 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« on: <02-01-11/2314:56> »
The binding of the spine is falling apart and I've been very careful with it, does catalyst just have trouble paying for better binding (my friends have the same issue) or is it something else. I'm not knocking them, I love shadowrun I just wanna know if there is something I can do about it or if there is an answer to the reason as to why the binding is so flimsy? :'(
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Cain

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <02-01-11/2341:29> »
You're not the only one.  I've also heard rumors of extremely thin paper in some books.  Anyone else experienced this?

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #2 on: <02-01-11/2344:32> »
I think it's the standard for all RPG's.  Every book I've ever had ended up with a very liberal application of duct tape in addition to a cover...

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-01-11/2345:52> »
Nooooo offense but every D and D book I've ever owned hasn't had this issue or any for that matter
HACK THE PLANET
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-02-11/0257:01> »
You definitely never owned Unearthed Arcana then. ;)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <02-02-11/0900:30> »
Which Shadowrun book are you having problems with? Or is it all of them?

I've never had problems with bindings (except the first printing of the D&D 3.0 Player's Handbook--but that was a crap printer they used). Of course, I was also trained as a library assistant in High School, so I tend to baby every book I own.

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-02-11/1000:26> »
A little late now, but have I told you about the wonders of PDF books?  Searchable, fit thousands of them on a hard drive, and cheaper, too!  I am a recovering book addict, but between the Kindle app and various PDF options, I'm getting the help I need.  If there was a good way to move my paperback novels to PDF, I'd be set.

I treat my hardcopy books very well, but even I had this problem from time to time.  I usually ended up getting the disintegrating book coil bound at FedExOffice (formerly Kinkos).  It preserves the book and allows you to open it flat on a table or even to open it all the way around for halved tablespace, which is nice.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <02-02-11/1008:03> »
A little late now, but have I told you about the wonders of PDF books?  Searchable, fit thousands of them on a hard drive, and cheaper, too!  I am a recovering book addict, but between the Kindle app and various PDF options, I'm getting the help I need.  If there was a good way to move my paperback novels to PDF, I'd be set.

I treat my hardcopy books very well, but even I had this problem from time to time.  I usually ended up getting the disintegrating book coil bound at FedExOffice (formerly Kinkos).  It preserves the book and allows you to open it flat on a table or even to open it all the way around for halved tablespace, which is nice.
I a big believer in the PDFs as well. For the Core books, I'll pick up a hardcover to have for the gaming table, but most other books (Missions, Adventures, Sourcebooks) I'll get only in PDF. Not only can I search and reference them on my laptop/PC, I can also print out just specific sections for players to take with them. And in the case of Adventures, I've been know to cut and paste them into word so that, instead of flipping to page X, I can have specific sections all together (NPC stats/Treasures & Loot) or edit them to match my needs.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-02-11/1734:57> »
Which Shadowrun book are you having problems with? Or is it all of them?

I've never had problems with bindings (except the first printing of the D&D 3.0 Player's Handbook--but that was a crap printer they used). Of course, I was also trained as a library assistant in High School, so I tend to baby every book I own.
I have the 20th aniversery book and unwired and arnesnal pdfs so the only issue is the book lol. But I love the pdfs as well!
HACK THE PLANET

imperialus

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <02-02-11/2139:55> »
Really... I've never had any problems with the bindings on any of my 4th ed books...

Back in the FASA days I remember the joke that FASA actually stood for "Fall Apart Sourcebooks Always" and the twin brothers with anger management issues that I used to play with didn't help much either so I got pretty good at book doctoring as a result.  How exactly are the books falling apart?  I might be able to guide you through some repair tips depending on the damage.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <02-02-11/2148:22> »
Really... I've never had any problems with the bindings on any of my 4th ed books...

Back in the FASA days I remember the joke that FASA actually stood for "Fall Apart Sourcebooks Always" and the twin brothers with anger management issues that I used to play with didn't help much either so I got pretty good at book doctoring as a result.  How exactly are the books falling apart?  I might be able to guide you through some repair tips depending on the damage.
The spine is flimsy and starting to fall apart. Also some pages open so far that so you can acctually SEE the binding.
HACK THE PLANET

imperialus

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <02-02-11/2230:49> »
That should just take some strategically placed glue to fix.  Just make sure you get archival quality glue or it'll damage the paper or crumble.

This PDF seems to walk you through the repair process better than I could explain it:  http://www.tunneltwo.com/secrets/repair.pdf

flatlyne2001

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <02-24-11/0922:49> »
I am having a problem with my SR4A book, but that is because a fellow gamer decided to leave them spread open on the table all game and then would pick them up open like that causing undo strain on the binding :(

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <02-24-11/0934:54> »
I am having a problem with my SR4A book, but that is because a fellow gamer decided to leave them spread open on the table all game and then would pick them up open like that causing undo strain on the binding :(
You need to hit them with a ruler everytime they do that. It's the only way they will learn. ;)

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <02-24-11/1152:35> »
You need to hit them with a ruler everytime they do that. It's the only way they will learn. ;)

Spray bottle - works on kids too.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."