Questions about riggers, rigger-technomancer and Data Processing attribute

• 7 Replies

SrJohnson

• Newb
« on: <09-14-17/0908:13> »
1) Rigger character
- Without Remote Control Console
- Control Rig level 2
- Jumped in a car (Device rating = 2, Pilot rating = 1)
- Controling the car through DNI

What is the "Data Processing" attribute for this case?  device rating of the car? Pilot rating of the car?(like drones), something else? where can I find this reference?

2) Rigger-Technomancer character
- Logic: 5 (Data Processing: 5)
- Mind over Machine Echoe (level 2)
- Jumped in a car (Device rating = 2)

What is the "Data Processing" attribute for this case?  device rating of the car? Pilot rating of the car?(like drones), data processing of the technomancer? something else? where can I find this reference?

thanks!!

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-14-17/0925:03> »
I'm pretty clueless on matrixy stuff so this is just my thought processes, when someone else answers, go with their answer, they are certain to be more correct than I am.

1) I believe you wouldn't have one. You're not using a device that gives you a data processing score. This makes a certain level of sense, you're not using a computer to aid you in dealing with the data, so you don't get that kind of boost. It goes against the fluff, though, where used to the only way to rig was to plug the control rig into the vehicle directly.

2) Your data processing is 5 until you have a reason to say it isn't. I wouldn't say that you have any reason to say it isn't in this case. 

SrJohnson

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-14-17/0930:20> »
I'm pretty clueless on matrixy stuff so this is just my thought processes, when someone else answers, go with their answer, they are certain to be more correct than I am.

1) I believe you wouldn't have one. You're not using a device that gives you a data processing score. This makes a certain level of sense, you're not using a computer to aid you in dealing with the data, so you don't get that kind of boost. It goes against the fluff, though, where used to the only way to rig was to plug the control rig into the vehicle directly.

2) Your data processing is 5 until you have a reason to say it isn't. I wouldn't say that you have any reason to say it isn't in this case.

You will always have Data Processing attribute because initiative for a Rigger in VR (while you are jumped in) is: Intuition + Data Processing + 3d6/4d6 (cold sim/hot sim)

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-14-17/0937:15> »

You will always have Data Processing attribute because initiative for a Rigger in VR (while you are jumped in) is: Intuition + Data Processing + 3d6/4d6 (cold sim/hot sim)

0 is a perfectly valid number to use for initiative.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-14-17/0950:22> »
I believe the Device rating of the vehicle fills in for the Data Processing attribute.  Device rating of the vehicle = pilot rating (so DR2 and pilot1 in the example I don't think is possible). 

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-14-17/0951:27> »
1) Rigger character
- Control Rig level 2
- Jumped in a car (Device rating = 2, Pilot rating = 1)

What is the "Data Processing" attribute for this case?  device rating of the car? Pilot rating of the car?(like drones), something else? where can I find this reference?

2) Rigger-Technomancer character
- Logic: 5 (Data Processing: 5)
- Mind over Machine Echoe (level 2)
- Jumped in a car (Device rating = 2)

What is the "Data Processing" attribute for this case?  device rating of the car? Pilot rating of the car?(like drones), data processing of the technomancer? something else? where can I find this reference?

thanks!!

1) Pilot rating and Device rating are almost always identical, so data processing and firewall would indeed be 1 in this case.
It's highly recommended to build your persona on your commlink and jump in from there

2) Your living persona is the basis for your stats while jumped in.

Being jumped in subsumes the vehicle and adds it in your persona, so only if you jump in bare back without another persona device you'll have to contend with the vehicle pilot's stats.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-14-17/0952:35> »
It's weird. When jumped-in, the icon of your the car/drone/device merges with your persona.... but the device is not your persona. 

When someone is taking matrix actions against your persona, you defend with your persona stats (commlink, deck, living persona, etc.). 

When someone is taking matrix actions against your device/car/drone, that device defends with its stats (either its own by itself, or its PAN protected stats). 

&#24525;

« Reply #7 on: <09-14-17/1253:42> »
First what vehicle are you referring to that has a Device Rating of 2 and a Pilot of 1?
Second forming a persona always involves a device (sans TMs, natch)
Quote from: pg 218 Core
A persona is usually based on a commlink, cyberdeck, or rigged vehicle or drone . . .

Third, given that vehicles and drones share a number of rules, I am inferring that a vehicle's Pilot determines its Data Processing. (I say infer to convey that I am not listing any RAW mechanics that support this, but there's a good chance that it exists. I'm just too tired atm to find it.)
Quote from: pg 234 Core
[Devices] also have three ratings: a Device Rating and two of the Matrix attributes, Data Processing and Firewall. For most devices, the Matrix attributes are the
same as the Device Rating.
Quote from: pg 269 Core
The Device Rating of a drone is the same as its Pilot Rating, meaning all of its Matrix attributes are equal to the Pilot Rating.

Since the non-TM rigger is forming its persona on the vehicle s/he is jumping into, the matrix attributes will be determined by the vehicle.
As the TM rigger already has a persona and is jumping into the vehicle, the icons merge and use the persona's matrix attributes.

1) DP = 2
2) DP = 5