NEWS

Life path?

• 14 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« on: <08-24-17/1916:53> »
Is there a minimum number of modules you have to take or can you just kind of use it like a karma build system?

&#24525;

« Reply #1 on: <08-24-17/1933:06> »
So you start by picking a Nationality & Region. There isn't an explicate sentence stating you can't take more than one, but this is presumed. Next comes the Formative Years section. Again it is presumed that you ought to be able to only pick one. This is the same with Teen Years. Further Education gives some description. It is optional and like Formative Years and Teen Years is presumed to be chosen once. Lastly is Real Life. Here is the only distinction about multiple modules being picked.

Quote from: RF 76
This is the only category where more than one module can be selected, but the same module cannot be taken twice.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-24-17/1952:04> »
Sorry I wasn't clear. Can you skip all of them? Some of them?  Basically can I just say woo hoo 950 points go and build a character from scratch with no modules picked at all.

&#24525;

« Reply #3 on: <08-24-17/2021:11> »
Where are you getting an additional 200 karma?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-24-17/2247:26> »
Where are you getting an additional 200 karma?
I was going from memory when I was looking at herobuilder last night. Is it 750?  Still same point do you have to take any of the modules. Can you just use it as a karma build per the rules. 

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-24-17/2255:15> »
And before its pointed out I know there is a point but method. But, we like to have everyone use the same build system and there is interest in this one by some in the group others are more point but focused.

&#24525;

« Reply #6 on: <08-24-17/2257:23> »
No picking and choosing. You're either all-in or not at all.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-24-17/2336:27> »
Thanks. I'll have to come up with a clever house rule that splits the difference.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-25-17/0636:44> »
Personally I feel its too little karma but with regards to your question . ..

Nationality: Must Take
Childhood: Must Take
Teen Years: Must Take

Technically you could stop there if you were doing a lot karma teen gang story I suppose.

Further Education: Can take or leave (you can take two here with one of them community I think it states it in the description but its only two that can be combined).
Real Life: Can take or leave but you probably should take some.

At least that's my understanding.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-25-17/1449:27> »
I've been playing with both on hero lab last night.  In both cases at least with how I intuitively build characters I end up with a more diverse and powerful character. It might be because I go human almost always. But as an example I rebuilt the last character I played a couple years ago. Invisible drone. Lame name I suck at names but fun character. A full mage with all the  magic skills who was good with guns and close combat. He if he could, used magic fingers as a spell to control the guns backed with a alchemy command trigger clarivoyance spell to guide it. The GM had let me take specialization in weapon skills with magic fingers.(no idea how to do that in hero lab, couldn't seem to get it work as I've done it before) With hero lab on point buy I had just as many magic skills and while my top gun skill was 4 instead of 6 it was the entire group. I had a couple more spells and better stats because 20 points goes to fast in the standard method. With life path my stats were a lot better I had less skills focused where initially I had designed the character but I had a lot of life skills I previously didn't have at all. For me I kind of dig life paths. I think it adds depth and makes a more realistic character. While you can do it with point buy, when counting every last point it's hard to justify somethimes.

2 of my players aren't fans though so I may house rule and let them drop out at childhood instead of higher education.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-25-17/1615:56> »
My suggestion would be to just let them use the Point Buy method instead. The two are roughly comparable, with Life Modules being more likely to generate characters with higher power (overall).

The primary advantage of Life Modules is being able to select the various modules and get skills added without paying the exponentially increasing costs. That's why life modules gets 50 less karma.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #11 on: <08-25-17/1707:27> »
Tho, if you want to see the Life Modules system fully developed, look at A Time of War for Battletech. Might give some clarity on how it is used.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-25-17/1854:07> »
Tho, if you want to see the Life Modules system fully developed, look at A Time of War for Battletech. Might give some clarity on how it is used.

Dont remind me. It makes hero system look like a simple char gen game.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #13 on: <08-28-17/1509:00> »
What? It's easy to use as long as you can math well. Just follow the timeline, and pick one module at each stage, then math. Simple
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-28-17/1900:15> »
What? It's easy to use as long as you can math well. Just follow the timeline, and pick one module at each stage, then math. Simple

It's not the math that's hard it's way too much bookkeeping with interconnected parts.