NEWS

Focussed Awakened only for Full Mages?

• 9 Replies

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« on: <05-14-17/0807:26> »
I guess another question only Wakshaani or whoever wrote that can really answer, but I want to hear your interpretations:

Do you think the "Focussed Awakened" Section was just for regular full mages?
I was thinking about doing a Pariah Null Wizard (not even sure Null Wizard stacks with traditions), as they have nearly the same limitations (which don't really get any worse that way) and similar, but stacking, bonuses.
Just, the main disadvantage of Null Wizard seems to be "No Astral Projection", and when I noticed that my Anti-Magic MyAd concept suddenly looked kinda cheesy. I mean, that's not really a disadvantage if you can't get it anyways, no?
So, how do you all read that? Can MyAds not take those "Focuses" due to their inherent predisposition?
Or is that just the min/max way to go? - Not that it would end up OP or anything.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-14-17/1058:37> »
Eh, it's not like it's breaking anything giving up all applications of magic besides removing it. The lack of a drain stat is likely your biggest problem.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-14-17/1236:08> »
No, I mean - If I combine Pariah with Null Wizard, that's ok. Slightly different disadvantages, and the drain looks more like an oversight to me.
But if I pick a MyAd for that combination, after already choosing Pariah as a Tradition, Null Wizard has no disadvantages. It feels a bit like cheating. Why would I ever not pick that? It's at worst 35 Karma at start for a rather massive power difference (literally 6 power points) that neither the tradition nor the Focus deny; It feels like doing a mundane combat character and finding out a cybered Adept would just be better at it, only now it not only adds something, it also comes with a complete lack of disadvantages that are normally there when going from Magician to MyAd. Well, I guess no disenchanting is something.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-14-17/1239:46> »
With the appearance of Harmonious Defense a MysAdept has a more powerful antimagic tool at their disposition.
It's fine really. Giving up the power of spells and spirits more than makes up for that loophole.
talk think matrix

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-14-17/1539:41> »
If I take a full mage with that Focus, I also give up the power of spells and spirits. I don't quite get your point, to be honest.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-14-17/1629:14> »
It might be slightly better for MysAdepts than for Full Mages, but honestly: Who cares?

Pariahs get:
+2 to Counterspell, Banishing, Disenchanting (of which the last two a borderline useless, with Banishing being a good way to knock yourself out)
Fixed line of Initiations up to 2nd with minor scaling bonuses to counter skills afterwards
One of those Metamagics doesn't exist (Opposition, needs Errata)
No Drain Stat (until Errata)

Null Wizards
cannot astrally project
Gain Reflection Metamagic
Gain Spell Resistance (Doesn't exist or should refer to Magic Resistance meaning 1 additional resistance die against all spells)

You are investing a lot of resources into a concept that is ultimately worse than the normal version. Reflection Metamagic requires Shielding, so you can't even use the Null Wizard bonus until you initiate. Further, you need Astral Perception to be able to use Reflection. Finally, Reflection is a bit shit as you need to resist drain +3 for force/2 effect. That's quite a lot of opportunity cost for a subpar option you can't use from the start.

You can get a similar build with a vanilla Adept taking Harmonious Defense and Harmonious Reflection (with scaling dice pool per initiation and free Astral Perception on top)
You miss out on Banishing (better option: Adept spell (Mana Combat Spell) or Killing Hands) and Disenchanting (yeah, what a great loss).

talk think matrix

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-14-17/1817:33> »
Nah, the requirements are for picking it. I can't see that apply for just having it from the start due to some other bonus. I am reasonably certain, in universe, that most null wizards would never initiate - I'm not even sure yet it's awakening so much as the opposite - they're just walking antimagic. Only problem is you still pay full magic points for that.

I'm not looking to debate whether Pariah is a decent choice; I can agree it's probably not, but I've already decided to not create a spellcaster. I heard that in my group as well; "just shoot first". I'm in agreement, but the cybered adept is a boring solution to every problem. ^^
I'm debating whether the loss of disenchanting is really worth picking a Mage over a MyAd for the job, given that Null Wizard blocks the main draw of taking a full mage: Projection. For just 10 extra Karma, I got the same capability, minus disenchanting, though I won't actually have to spend karma on it then, and then, I can spend up to 25 karma on power points for actual Adept abilities. I am aware an Adept can fill the same role with an Initiation, but my pool group allows one of those for every 100 career karma, so harmonious reflection will happen exactly never.
In short, my point being: There is absolutely no reason to ever pick a full Mage for creating a null wizard. I wonder if that was really the writers intention.
« Last Edit: <05-14-17/1941:52> by UnLimiTeD »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-15-17/1038:32> »
That house rule sucks. I can understand why you'd be interested in getting initiation benefits early even if you lose quite a lot of other options on the way.

In earlier editions there were the so called nega-mages, nullifying magic in all forms. Sadly, the Null Wizard is a far cry from doing anything like this. Astral Hazing would be a good start to shut magic down through background count.

I can't say anything about the writer's intentions, but I'm pretty sure they didn't know or think about the pariah. The whole book is full of little redundancies (The alchemical bullet appears at three places, two times with full description) and wrong/missing pieces (spell resistance quality, opposition metamagic).

talk think matrix

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-16-17/0717:56> »
So aspected mages that cast spells then take dedicated spell slinger is there really no disadvantage and you get spells based on your skill rating?

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <05-16-17/0732:26> »
Yes, I believe so. It even explicitly mentions that they fulfil the requirements, and is discounted for them.
I believe it's meant to counter the fact that aspected mages don't get free spells in priority, but in Karma gen it is a notable buff.
Not that I'm complaining about that direction, full mages are supposed to be rare, now, in comparison to aspected mages, you actually pay for that flexibility.
Edit: Now that I've read up on those, they should have written Null-Wizards like the old Nega-Mages. They just aren't worth spending plenty of Karma to raise a magic rating that is technically not really necessary.
Having a negative Magic value would certainly feel right for them, and could open the door to more utility. They'd also be 'not really awakened'.
« Last Edit: <05-16-17/1931:32> by UnLimiTeD »