NEWS

Court of Shadows - A bit much?

• 17 Replies

Eric da MAJ

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <06-12-17/1948:42> »
I have a love/hate relationship with this book. 

I love that it delves into and uses Faerie lore and is mostly loyal to the source material legends.  Which is not easy to do.  The legends vary across much of Europe plus some cultures with Fae like creatures in all but name.  What is unknown about them is nicely and imaginatively filled out in the book with quite plausible Shadowrun oriented lore.  The book is filled with interesting clues, tidbits, plot ideas, intrigue and mysteries.  I like the art as well.

What I hate is that it's for Shadowrun, which is at its heart is gritty cyber punk.  With magic, yes.  But still gritty cyberpunk.  Introducing high fantasy figures blunts that.  Especially since the Fae in their native environment are comically overpowered per the legends compared to even a Prime Runner.  Even Great Dragons don't have as much power as a Faerie lord in his own lands.  On the physical plane it's different. Powerful Fae flopping around Seattle like fish out of water and extending their intrigues would make for interesting games.  But visiting them, with their vast differences in culture, laws, and norms, would be like a being a European dropped into Medieval Japan.  You'd be novel and interesting for a hot minute.  Then some Samurai would get insulted and test his sword you on.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <06-18-17/1317:40> »
SR canon is that the Provos won and got revenge for basically everything going back to the Ulster Plantation -- all land slated for colonization suddenly turned barren shortly before the Awakening, British Army units such as the Parachute Regiment were massacred, the Tories tanked in elections...
Oh, the PIRA leader at that time? Secret spike baby Liam O'Connor, husband of Lady Brane Deigh, leader of the Seelie Court.

I find it hard to see too many Unionist sympathies in that storyline, and that's before getting to the tone in some parts of Tir Na Nog...

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #17 on: <06-19-17/0022:32> »
The short answer is I think the Court of Shadows is fine, if you don't like it, then it's totally optional anyways. Why folks suddenly feel the need to start making gross generalization is beyond me.
Getting the "snakes" out of Ireland is not something I celebrate. 

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking