NEWS

5E AI PC

• 5 Replies

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« on: <04-05-17/1910:06> »
Do AI get the hotsim bonus? Or just the +3 bonus to Matrix Perception?
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Glonthein

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <04-06-17/0318:05> »
Considering the fact that AIs live in the Matrix, meaning they are always in hotsim, i would rule it the same way as sprites : no hotsim bonus outside of the matrix perception bonus.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #2 on: <04-08-17/0005:39> »
The +3 on Matrix Perception wouldn't overwrite the normal Hotsim bonus.  "Always being in hotsim" is no reason not to give the bonus--  That's like saying a gun would become less effective because you have been using guns since the moment you could physically fire them.  Hotsim gives a bonus because the mode of matrix operation itself is just more effective and efficient.  Mechanically there's no balance-reason to not afford them that bonus--  They're already significantly more vulnerable, it's not like they're just getting it for free.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Glonthein

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-08-17/0350:42> »
That's also a perfectly legit argument. Actually, what bugs me more here was that the word "hotsim" isn't used even once in the whole chapter about AIs. That lack of mention is probably the reason I wouldn't give them the bonus : as the rules of SR5 are written, most of the time when something isn't said, it is that it shouldn't be considered.
Now, AIs have two ways of doing matrix action : by using the power of the device they are in, or by emulating that power from the grid. If an AI is operating from a device equipped with a hotsim module, then it/he/she benefits from the hot sim bonus. However, if the AI 1) Is on a device that doesn't have a hotsim module or 2) is emulating power from the grid or a host, then no bonuses. For the latter, arguments can be made, but I have the feeling they should be treated the same way as sprites for that purpose. Now if you can find me a mention saying that sprites get bonuses at other actions than matrix perception, then I'll agree with you.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-08-17/1444:31> »
The other thing I see is that Advance programs start generating god score..

How do AI get rid of the score?

EDIT: Nevermind, Found it - gotta be in a device and then reboot it.
« Last Edit: <04-08-17/1530:09> by Triskavanski »
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

&#24525;

« Reply #5 on: <04-08-17/1510:02> »
Really the only option is to reboot the device you're on, if you are on one that is. I'm not certain about the interactions with Fly on the Wall.