NEWS

Question regardring: Increase Attribute (in this case Charisma)

• 2 Replies

CrtclDmg

• Newb
« on: <04-05-17/1442:34> »
Heho, got a rules Question about Increase Attribute which me and my gm disagreed about.

It says: "The Force of the spell must equal or exceed the (augmented) value of the Attribute being affected."

Lets say my mage has an Attribute (Charisma) of 4 and the max is 8 (cause +4 max. to an Attribute with Boni ever).

With my current dicepool 4 hits on the spellcasting test are reasonable.

Do i have to cast it at force 8 (gms opinion) or is force 4 (my opinion) sufficient to utilize all 4 succeses and have my charisma at 8 as long as i sustain the spell?

Sry if i have to ask, but english is not my first language and its not clear some of the time with these rules and i need something kind of official to convince my gm (hopefully  ::) ).

Thanks in advance!

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-05-17/1804:46> »
You have it right. Try explaining it with a different attribute, though, since Charisma doesn't often have augmentations to start with. Say you have Strength 4 and Muscle Replacement 2, making your augmented Strength 6. You would need to cast the Increase Strength spell at Force 6 (the current augmented value), and you could only benefit from two hits, bringing your augmented Strength to 8 (because, as you pointed out, the maximum augmentation is +4).

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-05-17/1819:31> »
Also, think of it this way, You choose the Force of the spell before you roll or determine the effects of the spell. So at the time of casting you must choose a Force that is equal or greater than the target's (augmented) Attribute. But that's decided before the effects of the spell are being applied.

Now, if a GM wants to decide that particular rule has to be met both before and after the effects are applied, that's their prerogative. It isn't the commonly accepted ruling, however.