NEWS

New Ghost in the shell movie (or as new as it is in Australia)

• 9 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <04-01-17/0901:57> »
I wont say anything about the plot to avoid spoiling it for those who want to watch it but given the similarities between that world and the Shadowrun one there is a lot in this movie that can be used for shadowrun ideas/fleshing out descriptions and not just in the storyline but just stylistic decisions the creators went with that couldn't be done in the original series. The background shots of the city and city life in particular had a lot I will be happy to nab.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-01-17/0950:44> »
But would you say it's any good?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-01-17/1000:37> »
I'm looking forward to seeing this (and yes, I'm fully aware of the various reviews out there :-\). Hopefully this weekend!

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #3 on: <04-01-17/1209:56> »
I couldn't care any less about someone's review.

I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane wrapped fused with Gone with the Wind set in the future.  I was expecting Ghost in the Shell.  I got Ghost in the Shell.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-01-17/1723:03> »
Just saw it in cinema:
Great visuals, recreated quite faithfully key scenes from the animated version, suffered in my opinion from a deviation of the final message of the film to conform with Hollywood standards.

But all in all quite enjoyable for fans of cyberpunk.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-01-17/1734:37> »
Just saw it in cinema:
Great visuals, recreated quite faithfully key scenes from the animated version, suffered in my opinion from a deviation of the final message of the film to conform with Hollywood standards.

But all in all quite enjoyable for fans of cyberpunk.

Pretty much, go expecting ghost in the shell and a reasonable action movie from Hollywood you should be happy with it.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-01-17/1839:08> »
It's funny for me because a lot of my American friends are like "OMG, Major is being played by a white chick. Aren't you offended by that?!"

And my Japanese friends are like "No, shut up. This is awesome!"
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-02-17/1812:46> »
Well, saw it today with my daughters and we all enjoyed it immensely. If anything, I would have enjoyed seeing more character development for Section 9, but kinda hard to do gu en the time constraints.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-02-17/2004:45> »
Just my two cents, having seen the movie now.

In a cinema age where sequels are planned, this felt like an origin story that didn't. I found it jarring to see so many recreated scenes mashed together from GitS, Innocence, SAC, etc (mainly the first). In some cases, after simplifying or removing the logic that held the scene together for me in the first place. So much of it felt written by-the-numbers and derivatively different without actually having anything new to say, that I couldn't recommend it as a movie. As a visual inspiration piece or for the heart warming morals re: family and the value of individuality? That's another story.
« Last Edit: <04-03-17/0236:57> by Novocrane »

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #9 on: <04-04-17/1201:44> »
Just my two cents, having seen the movie now.

In a cinema age where sequels are planned, this felt like an origin story that didn't. I found it jarring to see so many recreated scenes mashed together from GitS, Innocence, SAC, etc (mainly the first). In some cases, after simplifying or removing the logic that held the scene together for me in the first place. So much of it felt written by-the-numbers and derivatively different without actually having anything new to say, that I couldn't recommend it as a movie. As a visual inspiration piece or for the heart warming morals re: family and the value of individuality? That's another story.
rotflmao.  oh that's too funny.