NEWS

[SR1]Mercurial - Elven Fire

• 7 Replies

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« on: <03-27-17/1553:38> »
Going to be running SR1 here shortly, any thoughts on running Mercurial to lead into Elven Fire?  Or do yous guys think I should have another module to bridge the two?

I am having fun looking back in time.  Wow was SR so much simpler than.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-27-17/2156:13> »
Lots of good adventures from that era. Bottled Demon introduced Arleesh (the great feathered serpent) and Blackwing (Evan Paris, now a prince of Tir Tairngire). Dragon Hunt was the first appearance of Eliohann. Not to mention Universal Brotherhood and Harlequin, although in the latter case I'd spread out the chapters among other runs. .

In order, the published SR1 adventures were:
  • 7301 DNA-DOA
  • 7302 Mercurial
  • 7303 Dreamchipper
  • 7304 Queen Euphoria
  • 7305 Bottled Demon
  • 7306 Harlequin
  • 7307 Dragon Hunt
  • 7308 Total Eclipse
  • 7309 Imago
  • 7310 Elven Fire
  • 7311 Ivy & Chrome
Not to forget ...
  • 7202 NAN Vol. 1 ("Peacekeeper")
  • 7205 Universal Brotherhood ("Missing Blood")
  • 7206 NAN Vol. 2 ("Eye of the Eagle")

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-28-17/0002:01> »
I've got to track down Harlequin (good luck!) and Universal brotherhood (HAH! You wish!) in order to complete that whole set.

Dangit.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #3 on: <03-28-17/0848:19> »
Funny thing, I was looking at my copy of Bottled Demon the other day, and noticed that Blackwing is often called Bloodwing, and the text even goes back and forth between the two names. Guess editing issues are nothing new ^^
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #4 on: <03-28-17/0917:07> »
A good follow up to Mercurial is actually A Killing Glare, as Kyle Morgan and Perianwyr make a return appearance in those.

Funny thing about Elven Fire.  I've used Elven Fire in various games probably half dozen times.  But I've never actually run the adventure itself.  Instead, I have this adventure that takes place during the events of Elven Fire.  An NPC team of runners is doing the Elven Fire stuff, and failing.  So mass gang warfare breaks out across the city, and eventually the National Guard gets called in.

And meanwhile, my PCs are trying to find the daughter of a rich corp exec who has run off with her boyfriend, who happens to be a mid-level member of one of the mid-tier gangs that has gone to war.

There are, of course, a few twists to that to complicate things.  And it gives me an excuse to throw in the Steppen' wulfs and just go crazy. :)  It also lets the PCs break out the big guns, since the entire city is so engulfed in flames (figuratievly and literally) at this point that no one notices some heavy gunfire and explosions. :)

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #5 on: <03-28-17/1209:41> »
I bought Mercurial and Elven Fire a whim and because they were at the ends of the edition cycle.  Wanted to gauge the differences/changes through the life of the edition.

Another question,
They don't have the 2e core book on DriveThruRPG?  Or am I not seeing it?
Which edition should I get for a couple or 5 sourcebooks 1e or 2e?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-28-17/1323:31> »
@Wakshaani I've had good luck buying used books on Amazon. That's how I found my copies of Harlequin and Universal Brotherhood. I god high-qualities copies of both for reasonable prices. (That said, Universal Brotherhood prices are all really high right now: $36 and up. I paid half of that. Availability of Harlequin seems tight at the moment too.)

I've also been using DriveThruRPG's print-on-demand option to fill in my collection. I just got a freshly printed copy of Mercurial yesterday and cracked it open last night. I bought it on DriveThruRPG instead of Amazon because it came with a PDF copy too.

@Sipowitz I've read Elven Fire but not Mercurial yet, since I just got it yesterday, so I can't comment on leading from one into the other.

I don't see 2E core book on DriveThruRPG either. It is available used on Amazon for less than $20.

Are you asking whether you should get the 1E or 2E corebook? I would vote 2E. In my opinion 3E is similar enough that you could use the 3E corebook if you already have it.

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #7 on: <03-28-17/1436:27> »
@Sipowitz I've read Elven Fire but not Mercurial yet, since I just got it yesterday, so I can't comment on leading from one into the other.

I don't see 2E core book on DriveThruRPG either. It is available used on Amazon for less than $20.

Are you asking whether you should get the 1E or 2E corebook? I would vote 2E. In my opinion 3E is similar enough that you could use the 3E corebook if you already have it.
I picked up the 1e core pdf already as well as Sprawl Sites and the 2 adventures.
Wanting to know which sourcebooks to pick up 1e or 2e.