NEWS

The Shadowrun manga and Tokyo sourcebook are being translated

• 9 Replies

Leevizer

• Omae
« on: <03-26-17/0739:32> »
TL;DR: Shadowrun manga is being translated and can be found at mangareading sites like http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shadowrun . After we translate the manga, we'll translate the Tokyo Sourcebook. ( https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/141287/tokyo-sourcebook )

Hi everyone, it's been a while.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Shadowrun manga (by Kazuma Saiki in 1996-1998) is currently being scanlated by me and a friend of mine under the title of Shadowrun Project. There are five volumes, and we have translated the first volume over halfway through with the rest to follow when we have the time.

I learned of the existence of the Shadowrun manga several years ago, as well as the differences of Japanese Shadowrun compared to "our" Shadowrun through forum posts, hearsay (the Shadowrun wikia having a page for the Shadowrun manga pretty much saying "this manga is done by this dude" and nothing else) and such. I've been to Japan twice after that (and have tried to look for it) with no luck. Now, however, I managed to get the set from a proxy purchasing service from Amazon.jp, and convinced my fluent-in-japanese chummer to do the translation if I do the rest of the work.

Like I said, it's made in the 90's so it follows the tropes of it's times both in good and bad. This means that it takes a several chapters to actually get going (Chapter 3 is the first "proper" Shadowrun) and it has some differences compared to what we might be used to. My friend translates it as closely as he can, while allowing me to take the liberty of changing or correcting the terminology he has used.

The first chapters I scanlated were a bit low quality, I think I'm becoming better at this stuff. I would really appreciate any feedback or comments about it if possible.

I have also bought the Tokyo sourcebook, which was written by the Japanese about the Japanese Shadowrun universe for 2nd edition. It seems pretty wiz, so we'll see about translating it as well after the manga is done.

The reason we are doing this is because I believe that these things are an important part of Shadowrun history, and as many people as possible should have access to them. So I hope you will enjoy reading this stuff as much as we enjoy learning how to scanlate manga and getting to experience the story like that as well.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <03-26-17/1404:54> »
Cool, great project. It might also be interesting to update the Tokyo Sourcebook with post SR2 knowledge that exists. Similar to the excellent Shadows of Latin America fanbook.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <03-26-17/1935:44> »
Awesome!  Looking forward to this.  I saw phsyical copies of the Manga at the FASA offices in '98 or '99, and been wanting to read it ever since.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #3 on: <03-27-17/0155:49> »
Cool, great project. It might also be interesting to update the Tokyo Sourcebook with post SR2 knowledge that exists. Similar to the excellent Shadows of Latin America fanbook.

Unfortunately, that would not work.
When Group SNE and Fujimi Shobo published SR2 in Japan in the mid-90s, they decided to create their own version of Japan as they didn't like how their country was depicted in Shadowrun. The result is a very, very different setting that has little to do with the "canonical" Japan (no racism, warring city-states...). The manga takes place in this alternative version of Japan.

When another Japanese publisher, Arclight, acquired the rights to SR4, they returned to the canonical Japan and IIRC even helped a bit with writing the chapters on Neo Tokyo in Corporate Enclaves.

If you want to know more about the Japanese versions of SR, I wrote about them on my website (it's in French, but Google Translate should give you the general idea): http://fondationdraco.fr/2009/11/27/shadowrun-au-japon/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <03-27-17/1037:07> »
This Shadowhelix category has most of the Japanese Shadowrun books: http://shadowhelix.pegasus.de/Kategorie:Quellen_%28Japanisch%29 The following are to the best of my knowledge exclusive:

• replays (fourth edition)
    • ストリートの天使たち
    • 旅する天使たち
    • 九龍の天使たち
    • 帝都の天使たち
    • ビギナーズ・バッドラック
  • and older
    • 裏切りの構図
    • シャドウラン がよくわかる本
    • 漆黒の戦鬼 シャドウラン・ノベル First Run

I think they are all covered in your article series, Marzhin.

By the way, there are also Japanese Earthdawn (アースドーン) books: http://earthdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Source_%28Japanese%29

I'm somewhat intrigued by this novel cover for instance:

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-27-17/1152:08> »
I'll soon have an article about Japanese Earthdawn as well :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #6 on: <03-27-17/1238:41> »

If you want to know more about the Japanese versions of SR, I wrote about them on my website (it's in French, but Google Translate should give you the general idea): http://fondationdraco.fr/2009/11/27/shadowrun-au-japon/

Wow, fantastic write up, I really enjoyed it :)

Which in some ways makes a fan translation all the more interesting, because that first generation material will never be canon, so will never get any official attention.

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <03-28-17/0852:48> »

Looking forward to it. Though my French really isn't that much better than my Japanese. :D

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <03-28-17/0942:28> »

Looking forward to it. Though my French really isn't that much better than my Japanese. :D

I'm still waiting for the books, I should receive them in a few weeks :)
On the Shadowrun side, I've also finally tracked down copies of Tokyo Eye-Shot and Shikkoku no Senki First Run... the only items missing from my collection.
(Groucho Marx)

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-29-17/0255:14> »
Definately interested as well I've not seen much Japanese shadowrun setting stuff (or any other setting than America in 5th ed which is what I'm familiar with, no Asutralia, English, Germany, etc) so even if this is non-canon it may give some nice ideas. Thanks for sharing.