NEWS

The Bulldrek Round Table Podcast

• 21 Replies

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <03-28-17/1416:12> »
That was interesting.  I'm sure I didn't absorb it all, as I was listening while doing work, but it was interesting both in giving some insight into some of the writers for the game as well as views on the state of SR from people somewhat more on the inside. (and a bit thank you to, I think it was 'Red', who came out with the exact word I'd been looking for in terms of what SR5 is lacking: immersion)

Yeah, that's an area that I want to move on, hugely. With the splatbooks in the rear view mirror (for the most part), hopefully we can focus on the flavor that's so badly needed. Kind of backwards in the grand scheme of things, but, I understand the business model... books about guns sell WAY more than books about what food you have in your fridge. The former support the latter. Ideally, the latter will bring in people who get *invested* in the universe, who will then wind up picking the stuff to play, generating more money for future immersion.

A bunch of us are chomping at the bit to get in there and make new stuff like Sprawl Sites or Shadowbeat, just as soon as somebody upstairs lets us do it.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #16 on: <03-28-17/1732:53> »
1) Glad to hear it  :)

2) I apologize for the incoming wall of words.

I suppose immersion will mean different things to different people.  For me a few well written ‘in world’ lines probably do more than fifty pages of description.  Maybe you could say that what I need is the initial shove to get my imagination started in a particular direction, then I’ll start spinning out all sorts of ideas on my own.  I thought that SR1/2 did a fantastic job on that front.

In fact, that is how I ended up coming back to Shadowrun after almost twenty-five years away (cue wavy ‘sitcom flash-back’ lines around the edge of the screen).  I was pretty immersed in the Hero Wars / HeroQuest rpg (not the same at the old Heroquest board game) and the fantasy world of Glorantha, --with no expectation of changing my gaming focus.  I loved the character generation and the rules, was running a game for my son, playing in some play-by-mailing list games, was very involved in discussion groups, and had contributed to a few things that had seen print for that game. 

There were some changes in editorial direction going on in HeroQuest that I wasn’t a huge fan of, and I was trying to think of how show what I thought was being lost, without using material that people in the discussion were personally involved in.  That got me thinking about how well Shadowrun had grabbed my interest back in the day.  I knew I didn’t have the wording quite right, but I still remembered things along the lines of “Streets, where life is. You know, life, the source of magic.”  “When I pull the trigger, I’m not going to be the one knocked on my ass.” “Tell me, have you had much success in breeding your car?”  “Life stinks, and most of the time so do you.” “It’s not all bad, you have a full suite of flavor faucets to add taste to your soy.”  And the adds in the Seattle sourcebook.  Single lines (and some images) that evoked so much about conditions, attitudes, the underlying nature of the SR world.

After over twenty years and ten moves I’d still held onto the SR2 rule book (bought after I’d stopped playing, in hopes of using it some day), Sprawl Sites, and the Seattle sourcebook, and I dug them out to look up some of those lines and look at what else I thought those books had done right.  My son came across them, flipped through, and got hooked just as quickly as I had back in the day, and asked if we could ditch our Heroquest game for a Shadowrun one.  I agreed, did a little bit of looking and discovered that the game was on the fifth edition, picked that core rule book up … and found that HeroQuest was not the only game to have decided that bludgeoning its players over the head with words was cool. 

Despite which I started running SR for my son and by necessity had to get involved in forums to get help with some of the rules.  The play-by-mailing list heroquest games I was in died off and HQ changed forums, so I really lost touch with it and got more involved in learning what all had happened to the SR universe while I wasn’t paying attention, and eventually I took the opportunity to get involved with some play-by-forums games.  So my involvement entirely swapped over to SR, all due to recalling some of those evocative lines from first edition.

(As an aside, I almost feel like part of the contract for gaming books should be based not so much on word count, as on ‘this is core information – the fewer words you can present it clearly and evocatively in, the bigger the bonus’  I’m sure that would be almost impossible to make work, but if someone could take the 5th edition CRB and cover the same material in half the word count, replace half of the lost words with more examples of various sorts, and just leave it at three quarters of the word count --  I for one would buy the new book in a heartbeat.)

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #17 on: <03-28-17/1823:27> »
I swear to the gods, Red. If we ever meet, I am buying you a cheese platter. With gouda, swiss, mozzarella, and butterkase.

That was Wakshaani (Thomas Willoughby) who hasn't had any real cheese, not Red (Kevin).  :) 

And seriously, we're gonna sit him down to watch the original Star Wars trilogy while we feed him that cheese plate. ;)

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <03-28-17/1825:34> »
“Tell me, have you had much success in breeding your car?”
I was going to say something like "is it really that important for the books to feel immersive when it's ultimately the GM and the other players that make or break your immersion", but gee, now I really want to know the context of that quote.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <03-30-17/1628:55> »
I swear to the gods, Red. If we ever meet, I am buying you a cheese platter. With gouda, swiss, mozzarella, and butterkase.

That was Wakshaani (Thomas Willoughby) who hasn't had any real cheese, not Red (Kevin).  :) 

And seriously, we're gonna sit him down to watch the original Star Wars trilogy while we feed him that cheese plate. ;)

Ah, I got mixed up.

Get that boy some fettuccine alfredo too!
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <03-31-17/0906:04> »
“Tell me, have you had much success in breeding your car?”
I was going to say something like "is it really that important for the books to feel immersive when it's ultimately the GM and the other players that make or break your immersion", but gee, now I really want to know the context of that quote.

That's a classic line.  Back in 1-2e, the contacts chapter in the core book had two contacts per page, which a picture, game stats, and a few one-liners to give you a feel for the attitude of the contact.  This line is from the tribal chief.  The full line is, "I have a fine horse, so who needs a car?  A horse is a renewable resource.  Have you had any success breeding your car lately?"

I continue to steal this basic format today.  Major NPCs in my campaign all have index cards.  On one side is a picture and the other side is shorthand for game stats and a tagline to quickly get me in the right head space for that character.  Since I'm terrible at accents, being able to flop down pictures on the table to remind the players who it is they're talking to is also very handy.  Plus, once you have a few infamous NPCs, tossing one of them on the table as a dramatic "reveal" moment is great entertainment.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #21 on: <03-31-17/0950:13> »
I should note that another one of the chief's quotes was along the line of "now let me check your credit status in the tribal database."  They were not trying to say the tribes were totally anti technology,  but there was some of that vibe in first edition,  which they seem to have moved away from since then.

Most of the lines that I listed were from those pull quotes.  I really thought that they gave more feel for the characters than three times as many words of description.

I guess Anarchy touches on this idea with cues.

And Kincaid, that is a great idea, which I will attempt to steal.  They did a bit of that with the npc cards in the Seattle boxed set, I just have to work in more of those characters as well as do cards of my own)