NEWS

Off-Grid devices

• 9 Replies

manchuwook

• Newb
  • DO EET!
« on: <03-10-17/0857:39> »
My GM wants signal rating back and is arguing that people can have the benefits of things like Smartlink, Wireless Security Cameras, and other devices because they are "Off-the-grid" because bluetooth or LANs with no internet connection to the grid.  My question is, can the PAN just not be on a grid - public, local, or global?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-10-17/1001:03> »
If your Devices are off line, why would you need a PAN? 

But theoretically, if you've got a giant bundle of Data Cables connecting all the devices, sure, be in an Off line PAN.  Go nuts.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-10-17/1020:58> »
Or get an internal router

manchuwook

• Newb
  • DO EET!
« Reply #3 on: <03-10-17/1059:02> »

But theoretically, if you've got a giant bundle of Data Cables connecting all the devices, sure, be in an Off line PAN.  Go nuts.

He said the cameras were wireless, the "host" was wireless, and that they were not "on the grid."

&#24525;

« Reply #4 on: <03-10-17/1838:56> »
Realistically if your GM is going to change/add/remove rules to the game you'll have to ask him/her how specific interactions work.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-10-17/1949:01> »
Well, technically a Host isn't on a grid, and devices slaved to that host are likewise functioning on the host, not a particular grid. It's a little "wibbly wobbly" how that works really. Hosts don't exist in any particular location (they exist everywhere) so it's a little weird.

As far as bringing the Signal Rating goes, I can appreciate the interest, but I think more effort in improving the way Noise vs. distance  functions would be easier and more appropriate. When they revamped the way the Matrix functions, they took the concept of connection hopping (mutual signal range through a series of devices from 4th edition) and simplified the process. Now, the idea of hopping from device to device is unnecessary because everything relays everything. That's why it is called the Grid, it functions as a Mesh network and everything communicates. Hacking in 5th edition is more about grabbing permissions for yourself to access the actual devices and their functions. Noise (from distance) is the replacement for Signal, resulting in the idea that the further away your are trying to communicate the more interference you're going to get. Personally, I think this is a decent replacement than the idea that you need to hack Node after Node to gain access to some far off system.

Now, as far as things go for having certain devices function without connecting to the grids, it is technically possible, but that is functionally the same as going wireless off. The Grids are your connection to the Matrix, you'll lose the wireless bonuses (i.e. the Smartlink bonus to dice pool) because you aren't getting the Matrix mesh network data and extra processing. If your GM wants to allow devices to effectively function at the 4th edition "Signal 0" where they could communicate over an extremely short distance but don't communicate with anything else, that seems reasonable to me. It's effectively the same as just using wires to connect everything.

&#24525;

« Reply #6 on: <03-10-17/1955:15> »
While a Host isn't on a Grid it is certainly on the Matrix. Devices that are Wireless Off ought not be able to connect to a Host.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-10-17/2009:11> »
While a Host isn't on a Grid it is certainly on the Matrix. Devices that are Wireless Off ought not be able to connect to a Host.

True, but the OP noted that the example cameras are wireless ON, just not on a grid. That just means they were in a host. Done deal.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-10-17/2137:59> »

He said the cameras were wireless, the "host" was wireless, and that they were not "on the grid."

I suspect "on the grid" has a house meaning.  RAW things are either Wireless on or Wireless off, there is no Wireless but off the grid.  Wireless and slaved to a Host, certainly. 

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-10-17/2243:00> »
My GM wants signal rating back and is arguing that people can have the benefits of things like Smartlink, Wireless Security Cameras, and other devices because they are "Off-the-grid" because bluetooth or LANs with no internet connection to the grid.  My question is, can the PAN just not be on a grid - public, local, or global?
Even in fourth edition, the Signal 0 = no hacking thing was a myth. You generally could use matrix routing when outside mutual signal range - and given that most people weren't keeping a 3m wifi clean zone around their Signal 0 devices, you virtually never had the situation where it couldn't reply.