NEWS

Homebrew: Chain Lightning

• 6 Replies

忍

« on: <03-07-17/2005:43> »
I'm playing around with the idea of a spell that arcs from foe to foe. I'd like some feedback for tweaking it.

Chain Lightning
Combat (Indirect, Elemental)
Type: Physical
Duration: Instant
Range: LOS(a*)
Drain: F + 0
Damage: Physical

Chain Lightning is similar to lightning bolt and ball lightning except that electricity jolts from target to target violently. Chain Lightning damages a number of targets equal to its Force and can only effect a target once (for example a Force 2 spell can't strike one entity twice). For each arc the damage and AP reduces by one incrementally. Each target gets the usual Reaction + Intuition test to avoid being damaged. Regardless of Chain Lightning missing a target the lightning will continue to arc to the next target with its incremental reduction of damage and AP.

Chain Lightning can target devices. Each device counts as one target and it is effected wholisticly. For example you couldn't target a car's speakers and it's dashboard to deal double damage. One counts as one.

*This is an area spell, however it will only target objects you can see in order to direct the mana. If Chain Lightning has any
undesignated remaining arc it will jump to a random target until it runs out of arcs.

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-07-17/2158:28> »
One thing that strikes me as maybe being a bit too good is that you seem to imply that the caster can designate the targets that the spell will arc to.  That gives you way more control over the spell than any other area spell. Take fireball for example, you decide the target center of the spell and provided it doesn't scatter you hit anything in the spells radius, whereas with your spell you could essentially throw it into a melee and have it hit only enemies. I would change it to "the spell arcs to the closest viable target regardless of whether that is a friend or a foe or a device or a vehicle..etc.". In this way the spell is more in line with the other indirect area spells.

Instant spells are basically fire and forget more or less,  the kind of fine control that it would take to direct the arcs would probably require the spell to be sustained, which is of course also an alternative, making it similar to Flame Burst from shadow spells. In that case I would make it so that you could direct the spell to a new target every initiative phase with either a free or a simple action,  of course that would count as your attack action for that phase and you would take the usual sustaining penalty to all other tests, not to the attack though.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <03-07-17/2206:21> »
Yah, I would make the arcing be to:
-  the nearest living being of reasonably similar size to the target just hit (doesn't arc to bacteria in the air, nor even to house flies, etc).
- call each arc one point lower force
- the range of the arc is new force in metres
- maybe make each arc happen one tick later on the initiative,
- and allow people to use the dive for cover interrupt to break line of sight

With the spellshaping metamagic, for each -1 on casting I'd allow one extra arc to be under the casters control.

It would be a lot of dice and bookkeeping, but could be really fun ....

&#24525;

« Reply #3 on: <03-08-17/2327:09> »
One thing that strikes me as maybe being a bit too good is that you seem to imply that the caster can designate the targets that the spell will arc to.  That gives you way more control over the spell than any other area spell. Take fireball for example, you decide the target center of the spell and provided it doesn't scatter you hit anything in the spells radius, whereas with your spell you could essentially throw it into a melee and have it hit only enemies. I would change it to "the spell arcs to the closest viable target regardless of whether that is a friend or a foe or a device or a vehicle..etc.". In this way the spell is more in line with the other indirect area spells.

Instant spells are basically fire and forget more or less,  the kind of fine control that it would take to direct the arcs would probably require the spell to be sustained, which is of course also an alternative, making it similar to Flame Burst from shadow spells. In that case I would make it so that you could direct the spell to a new target every initiative phase with either a free or a simple action,  of course that would count as your attack action for that phase and you would take the usual sustaining penalty to all other tests, not to the attack though.
Fair enough. I transposed direct damage spell mechanics onto this by accident, in regards to choosing targets. I don't want this to end up as an off-brand Ball Lightning though. Arcing to the nearest thing would do just that, except worse because of the diminishing returns.

Yah, I would make the arcing be to:
-  the nearest living being of reasonably similar size to the target just hit (doesn't arc to bacteria in the air, nor even to house flies, etc).
- call each arc one point lower force
- the range of the arc is new force in meters
- maybe make each arc happen one tick later on the initiative,
- and allow people to use the dive for cover interrupt to break line of sight

With the spellshaping metamagic, for each -1 on casting I'd allow one extra arc to be under the casters control.

It would be a lot of dice and bookkeeping, but could be really fun ....
That's what is intended. I just described the effects in damage. 

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-10-17/0220:18> »
always wondered what the drain value of a species specific stun spell would be

&#24525;

« Reply #5 on: <03-10-17/1840:23> »
Huh?

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <03-10-17/1955:54> »

I would just use the Slay line of spells in street grimoire and make it a copy. If not, lower DRAIN by 1