NEWS

Comics in Shadowrun

• 13 Replies

Nightmaster

• Newb
« on: <03-07-17/1136:39> »
I wonder if any of you guys have ever deal with this theme on your games.

What would be the "evolution" of comic books in the shadowrun universe? Would they still exist? Were then been discontinued? Were then been modified to favor the megas views or interests?

I imagine that a character like Superman, that works with the system, would still be around, while characters like Green Arrow or even Batman, that pass along a good notion of working against the system, would have been discontinued because of "reasons".

What are your views on that?

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #1 on: <03-07-17/1217:58> »
I'm pretty sure each Megacorp has its own stable of brand-friendly characters and superheroes, both in comics and trid.

The EVOlved -- fighting to protect our citizens, and our core values!
Mars Knights -- a team of supersoldiers created by philanthropist billionaire Damien Knight to defend peace, justice and blow stuff up thanks to their supercool Ares™ weapons!
Super Dimensional Battleship Renraku-gô -- to the ends of space, they'll battle evil like true Red Samurais. Be like your heroes, buy your own Super Dimensional Battleship Renraku-gô pocket cyberdeck now!
Karl Kombatmage, the comics -- He might be a runner, but he fights bad guys to restore order!

Corp kids need to be entertained, after all. Must be lonely to grow up in an enclave or arcology.

And I imagine there's also an underground scene of "subversive" comics, think Transmetropolitan turned up to 11.
« Last Edit: <03-07-17/1221:54> by Marzhin »
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

MDMann

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <03-07-17/1440:29> »
I imagine DC and Marvel and the rest have all been bought up by the megas, together with newer offerings. Plenty of retcons too. After all, if they make money....

Marvel might appeal to Ares whilst DC could go to Horizon.
« Last Edit: <03-07-17/1456:10> by MDMann »

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-07-17/1457:52> »
Pfft, everyone knows that Damien Knight is Tony Stark.

Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. All he's missing is JARVIS.

"Sir, the odds of that-"

"I know the numbers! Just do it!"
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-07-17/1500:28> »
There's a bit in Run Faster (page 127, to be precise) that strongly implies that Red is a fan of X-Men comics, though he mentions that he's "about 70 years behind" on them. Take that as you will.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-09-17/1144:14> »
I would assume comics are mostly digital in the 6th world with maybe a few still physically printed for traditionalist and hard core collectors.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-09-17/1704:03> »
Comics would absolutely exist, but they would almost exclusively be enjoyed on the matrix, hardcopies would be collector's items. As comic characters should realistically be remembered in Shadowrun, it makes sense that iconic characters such as Superman would at least be recognized, and more likely still be in "print". In fact, including real world references of products, brands, etc adds a great deal of immersion and realism to your Shadowrun game. For example, what happened to the Ultimate Fighting Championship? In your game, maybe it's still around, and when the players find that out it will surprise them. The UFC still exists in my games and I occasionally mention names of the current champions, such as Michael Bisping's grandson Sam. I threw that in as one of my players had mma as part of his backstory, so the discovery that the UFC is still around sparked his interest. As a little something extra, it is mentioned in Shadowrun fiction that Harlequin wears pins on his jacket of old and sometimes obscure musicians and groups, so I don't see why comics cannot live on in the same way.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-09-17/1714:51> »
Comics would absolutely exist, but they would almost exclusively be enjoyed on the matrix, hardcopies would be collector's items. As comic characters should realistically be remembered in Shadowrun, it makes sense that iconic characters such as Superman would at least be recognized, and more likely still be in "print". In fact, including real world references of products, brands, etc adds a great deal of immersion and realism to your Shadowrun game. For example, what happened to the Ultimate Fighting Championship? In your game, maybe it's still around, and when the players find that out it will surprise them. The UFC still exists in my games and I occasionally mention names of the current champions, such as Michael Bisping's grandson Sam. I threw that in as one of my players had mma as part of his backstory, so the discovery that the UFC is still around sparked his interest. As a little something extra, it is mentioned in Shadowrun fiction that Harlequin wears pins on his jacket of old and sometimes obscure musicians and groups, so I don't see why comics cannot live on in the same way.

There's also Harlequin's "Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla" shirt.

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <03-09-17/1719:47> »
Was that a reference to the line from Mad Max: Road Warrior or the song inspired by said line?

A Guide to Gridguide

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-09-17/1803:53> »
Was that a reference to the line from Mad Max: Road Warrior or the song inspired by said line?

With Harlequin, it could be both, or neither.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <03-09-17/1825:06> »
I had to dig for a bit, but that picture was published before the song was recorded, so it's got to be a reference to the movie.

A Guide to Gridguide

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-09-17/1846:33> »
I had to dig for a bit, but that picture was published before the song was recorded, so it's got to be a reference to the movie.

It does not surprise me in the least that he's a fan of Mad Max. "Two men enter, one man leaves" seems to be a common theme in his life. (Yes, I know that's Mad Max 3)

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <03-09-17/2211:06> »
Dunkelzahn leaves his manga collection to Buttercup in his will, so yeah comics are still very much around. Also I agree that most will be digital and that most will be Corp titles, though there will absolutely be independents and subversive titles as well.

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <03-10-17/1100:41> »
Dunkelzahn leaves his manga collection to Buttercup in his will, so yeah comics are still very much around. Also I agree that most will be digital and that most will be Corp titles, though there will absolutely be independents and subversive titles as well.

Well actually it was his collection of western comic he left buttercup feeling she needed to learn to appreciate the classic. but  any ways ,yeah I can see there still being indy and underground type comics still being around, maybe even more so as a way to stick it to the corps.

To Buttercup of Yamatetsu Corporation, I leave my complete collection of comic books with respect for our mutual appreciation of the art form. Not manga, I know, but you could stand to develop a taste for some of the classics, my dear.