NEWS

Tracing matrix traffic?

• 1 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« on: <03-06-17/1524:39> »
Looking for some help on how you trace connections.  I’d think that there must be a way, but so far all I’ve seen is tracing marks back to their owner (trackback in DT), or snooping on the traffic (snoop command). 

The specific case I’m looking at is finding hidden cameras in a room, and trying to determine who/what they are sending their data to.  I guess that if they were within a host that would be apparent enough with matrix perception, but if they were sending their data to another device, or to a persona (i.e. commlink), I’m not clear on whether matrix perception would be enough, if you’d use some other action, or if you can’t actually do it.

(I’ve only recently started working m way through the matrix rules in more than a vague ‘the NPC hacker pops open the lock for you’ sort of way.  I think I’m getting a grip on most things, but I’m entirely at sea on how you deal with this situation.  Did a couple of searches on here in the expectation that this has been discussed before, but either not or I didn't come up with just the right search words)

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <03-07-17/1845:55> »
Looking for some help on how you trace connections.  I’d think that there must be a way, but so far all I’ve seen is tracing marks back to their owner (trackback in DT), or snooping on the traffic (snoop command). 

The specific case I’m looking at is finding hidden cameras in a room, and trying to determine who/what they are sending their data to.

Snoop does that, or at least it should.

Traffic includes information about who is receiving the info. After all, the traffic has to make its way to the intended recipient somehow. Remember that Snoop can find you things like the recipient's commcode, so it makes perfect sense for it to find the target device's unique ID, or at least enough information to let you spot it in the matrix.
« Last Edit: <03-07-17/1848:36> by Slipperychicken »