NEWS

Shotgun choke settings

• 4 Replies

忍

« on: <02-27-17/1740:50> »
I've got a player who has a hard time accepting shotguns changing their choke setting within a moment (a simple action). He refuses to acknowledge other settings than wide.

Any thoughts or suggestion to help me help him grok the concept?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <02-27-17/1747:58> »
GMFunkytown covered choke settings in a Complex Action YouTube video. Start there?
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <02-27-17/1953:18> »
"You can accept trolls, magic, cyber arms far stronger than any weightlifter,  'ware that let's you act three times as fast as most people, technomancers, and .... This is what you choke on?"

After that offer to make the simple action adjustment to choke a wireless on thing, with a complex action wireless off.  :)

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-28-17/0613:11> »
I can't say that I'm an expert on firearms, but what about the choke setting is the player not able to accept?

A quick search of choke setting tells me that the choke on a shotgun is effectively a function of narrowing the bore on the end of the barrel. The narrower the choke, the narrower the spray of the shot. This is a thing that definitely exists in modern shotguns so refusing to accept anything other than wide choke is flat-out short sighted.

Now, if the issue is the idea of being able to change the choke setting with only a brief action, then there is a simple answer. Advancement in technology. We already have guns that can have replaceable chokes, I found that with a brief google search and skimming the wikipedia article on Choke (firearms). It isn't unreasonable to think that with advancement in firearms that they would develop a way to alter the choke on the shotgun quickly without the need to change out an accessory on the barrel. I imagine it is something like the zoom on a camera, a twist on the right knob and it constricts the barrel to give it a narrower choke. Pretty straightforward really.

Adamo1618

« Reply #4 on: <03-01-17/0702:42> »
So, an artificial sphincter. Disturbing mental images inbound.