NEWS

Underground base

• 34 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <02-24-17/1243:57> »
Reminds me a little of the second resident evil novel. The team was checking out a facility and one of them handled some infected material with his gloves then without thinking rubbed his eyes. By the end of the novel he was a zombie.

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <02-24-17/1559:39> »
Not strictly related, but just a consideration when you pick a location. Make sure you check the surrounding area/get Intel from locals, as things like ghouls(especially the feral variety) tend to make their lairs underground. Probably not an issue when you guys are in your base with all your hardware, but a hungry pack of ghouls waiting in your new base would be a pretty nasty surprise to come home to.

Ehh, I say they might as well find a ghoul-infested place. The price should be lower due to the monsters, and clearing them out should make for a nice mindless combat session.

Oh absolutely, based on the gear/vehicles/etc the team has, clearing out a ghoul nest should be a walk in the park. My concern is more about securing the location after the fact. If it was just a cave underground, abandoned bunker, etc then it probably only has 1 or 2 ways in and out. But if it was an underground parking garage, subway tunnel, bug hive, or anything else, there's probably a bunch of ways into and out of it that are less than obvious. Remember that the Ork Underground is so well protected/situated because for every obvious, "official" entrance, there's probably a dozen smaller, hidden ones that only a handful of people know about.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Dasher

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #32 on: <02-24-17/1656:13> »
Remember, the more noise you make taking the underground base, the more chance that it will get flagged by a corp or government database and watch file.

In our NorCal game we ended up in possession of an abandoned underground facility and we spend a lot of time making sure that no one knows it is there or notices up going to or from.  The problem with nice secure underground bases in they are potential deathtraps if your enemies find them.  So, keep them hidden, do not attract attention and be careful.  Oh, and watch out for devil rats, those suckers get in everywhere.
« Last Edit: <02-26-17/1606:08> by Dasher »
"Do you know the sort of things that can fall into an industrial sausage press?"

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #33 on: <02-25-17/0030:04> »
Another concern with a ghoul nest comes to mind...  Retaliation.

Similar to a gang, if you simply murder a bunch of ghouls, someone may notice.  Even if they were all feral (and especially if they weren't), the local ghoul community definitely knows the location of the sprawl's ghoul nests.  Some other, less civil (and better armed) ghouls may some day show up.  It won't be like a gang trying to scare you and make themselves look tough--  And it won't be immediate either.  And those ghouls will ambush you, and might settle for just trying to infect you as well over just killing you.  It's one thing if it's seen as an act of vigilantism or something, but if it's "we just massacred these ghouls because we wanted their crib", and you stay where it occurred, there's no way the ghoul community won't react to it somehow.

Maybe it won't be a serious threat to your livelihood.  After all, you're professional runners with the resources to revamp this old nest into a batcave.  But the point is it'll escalate and may not stop after one failed retaliation... 
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <02-25-17/0209:27> »
Hmm ghoul hired shadorunners or worse ones they couldn't afford as a favour to an old friend fallen on hard times "Hello this is Barney Stinson, oh Ted how's it going? I'm sorry to hear that but I owe you one, heck I probably owe you a couple of hundred don't worry I'll take care of it. Hey Hiroshi this is Barney Stinson at personal liquidations I need to authorise a 500,000 yen contract we have a pest problem."

Ironically I was just rewatching top gear adn the episode had them finding an abandoned submarine pen and missile silo.