NEWS

Underground base

• 34 Replies

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #15 on: <02-22-17/1212:04> »
I expect "secret underground facility" is a fairly standard construction contract since the Awakening, considering the inherent astral security benefits. Saeder-Krupp probably has a dozen prefab models ready to go, just waiting for a big hole to bury them in.

With a little collusion from the GM, it might be more fun to find a likely place and take it over. Clean out a ghoul nest, security bunker, corporate research lab, fallout shelter, insect spirit hive, etc. Then do what you can to erase any record of its existence.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <02-22-17/1848:39> »
One of my characters came into possession of Neuschwanstein Castle (Don't ask, long story). The location and construction of the castle makes an awesome base as-is, but she wanted to expand it down into the hill the castle sits on. After a bit of magic-assisted digging, she broke through to a large underground cavern.

She now has a literal Bat Cave. It's awesome.  ;D
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-22-17/1959:26> »
Leaving aside places like old warehouses which you could acquire fairly easily modern cities have a LOT of abandoned infrastructure you could claim. Old storm/sewage maintenance facilities, old railway depots (for the workers not the trains), old platforms and train lines. Then there's the ones that are "in use" but get a monthly or less visit. I work with the railways and with the new consolidation there are depots (power, ac, phone lines) all working but no longer in use and not sold off because a working relay room is next to them. In the shadowrun world I can only imagine that's gotten more common.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #18 on: <02-22-17/2120:08> »
Not Shadowrun, but one of the characters I play in Mutants & Masterminds or Champions games took an old subway station in New York, one of the ones that had been shut down and sealed off when lines were redone, and made it into an awesome lair, complete with a security system that sprayed someone with liquid nitrogen if they didn't pass the palmprint scanner, retinal scanner, and voice analysis simultaneously within 30 seconds of typing in a 16 digit code. Was that paranoid? Hell yes. But he never once had to worry about someone kicking in his front door. Of course, he was also immune to cold damage, being an ice-type super, so the defense system didn't bother him.

Now, as far as Shadowrun, if we limit it to Seattle in particular (since that's the primary setting), there aren't any subway tunnels, since any that may have existed are now part of the Orc Underground (though if you're of the proper persuasion you could just live down there). However, there ARE almost certainly fallout shelters left over from the cold war, especially outside of the areas where they put up arcologies, say in the Tacoma area, or out in Puyallup or Redmond. Also out in the Barrens you have a whole bunch of abandoned facilities that could be picked up and secured into a base. If you want actual dirt to dig in, I'd suggest slipping just over the border into Salish lands, where there's more land to play with.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Nightmaster

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <02-22-17/2319:11> »
Thanks for all the repplies guys. Lots of good ideas.

I didnt know that the renton area of seattle had abandoned mines and such... give lots of ideas.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <02-23-17/0117:23> »
One of my characters came into possession of Neuschwanstein Castle (Don't ask, long story).
Oh, but I must.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

adzling

« Reply #21 on: <02-23-17/0649:29> »
the most plausible/ least work would be some accommodations in a section of the Ork underground (it's near downtown) that is adjacent/ close to an underground parking lot.

Burrow/ dig a tunnel between your ork underground accomodations and the underground parking lot using some of the  other ideas presented in this thread.

boom, cheap, quick place to park your cars and live underground.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <02-23-17/1658:56> »
One of my characters came into possession of Neuschwanstein Castle (Don't ask, long story).
Oh, but I must.

Long story made very short: She helped uncover a plot by a particularly clever and powerful shadow spirit (*cough* Horror *cough*) that wound up saving a dragon's giant scaly backside.

So he gave her a castle.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <02-23-17/2219:20> »
Not strictly related, but just a consideration when you pick a location. Make sure you check the surrounding area/get Intel from locals, as things like ghouls(especially the feral variety) tend to make their lairs underground. Probably not an issue when you guys are in your base with all your hardware, but a hungry pack of ghouls waiting in your new base would be a pretty nasty surprise to come home to.

Ehh, I say they might as well find a ghoul-infested place. The price should be lower due to the monsters, and clearing them out should make for a nice mindless combat session.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #24 on: <02-23-17/2303:45> »
Or, the pay the ghouls in bodies they need to have disposed in order to protect their place. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #25 on: <02-23-17/2305:38> »
You'll need to pay to sterilize the place though, unless you want to risk getting HMHVV just from living there.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <02-24-17/0048:00> »
May I recommend an Aztechnology brand flamethrower for all your ghoul-removal needs? Fully guaranteed to remove 99.9%* of HMHVV virus!

*Aztechnology is not responsible for the remaining 0.1% remaining HMHVV virus and recommends that all ghoul-removal be followed up with through and judicious use of the Sterilize spell.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <02-24-17/0258:59> »
Oh yeah, I forgot about that spell.  That would work then.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #28 on: <02-24-17/1133:32> »
Or you pick up some cleaning agents.  I mean, the chances of getting Infected by living near ghouls is nil anyways; it's an Injection vector disease which has never been stated to have a viable lifespan outside of the body.  The only threat is if they go feral or decide the deal is less appealing than you are. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <02-24-17/1231:58> »
Didn't they say in 4e that HMHVV Strain 3 was like, the easiest to contract, and could be transferred by any of the ghouls' bodily fluids?  I always got a clear impression that even being around a ghoul was bad.  The kinda stuff where it's like "hey, they were kinda sweaty when you shook their hand, better not touch your face any time soon".  I mean, IRL, HIV would be "Injection" vector, but that doesn't mean the only way to get it is to have someone cut you and then bleed in your wound.  Granted, I'm not saying HIV and HMHVV are anywhere near eachother in terms of contagiousness, but it illustrates my point that Injection makes it sound safer than it is.
« Last Edit: <02-24-17/1238:30> by firebug »