NEWS

Help building a Summoner please

• 4 Replies

Stasy

• Newb
« on: <02-17-17/0734:08> »
This is my first Shadowrun character and I would like to play a Summoner.  Our campaign will be based out of LA.  I decided to go Shaman tradition with a Thunderbird mentor spirit and a lightning theme. I believe I would like to use my Spirits as my heavy hitters and use spells mainly for support. Here is my character so far. Quick background is he grew up in the LA area as a citizen in PCC. When he was awakened, he was separated from his family and brought up to be turned into a wage slave. He worked for a while as an adult, but always felt stifled and forced in to this small box that he wasn't meant to fit in. Coupled with his awful luck with electronics, he pretty much hated his life as a wage mage. It wasn't until his 20s when he met his spirit mentor, who joined him on the condition that he throw his old life away and separate from the life of a cubicle. With Thunderbird's mentoring, he was able to escape from his old life and truly began life as a shaman. His main drive now is to get back at the corporations that stole so much of his life from him.

BREAKDOWN (Priority)
A: Mage (Magic: 6, 2 rating: 5 magical skills, 10 spells)
B: Attributes (20)
C: Skills 28/2
D: Resources (50,000 Nuyen)
E: Human (1)

Starting Karma (25)
Positive Qualities - 25
Negative Qualities - <25>
Spell Detect Life, Extended - 5
Spell Spatial Sense, Extended - 5
Arcana at 2 - 6
Bound Spell Focus: Rating 4 - 8
1 Karma left over

=Attributes=
Body: 2
Agility: 3
Reaction: 3
Strength: 2
Charisma: 6
Intuition: 4
Logic: 3
Willpower: 5
Edge: 3
Magic: 6

Essence: 6.00
Initiative: 7 + 1d6

=Positive Qualities=
Mentor Spirit - Thunderbird
(+2 Intimidation Test, +2 Summoning Air Spirits)
Focused Concentration 3
Spirit Whisperer
(Spirits +1 die to resist summoning tests, +1 Force to spirits summoned)

=Negative Qualities=
Faraday Himself (+2 Noise around me)
Gremlins 2 both Gremlins and Faraday are to represent how electronics don't work well around him due to his lightning affinity
Prejudiced (Specific, Biased) [Wage Mage]
Reduced Sense (Smell) I took this to say my sense of smell is disrupted by the smell of Ozone, more Thunderbird theme
SINner (National) [Pueblo]

=Active Skills=
Influence Group: 2
Assensing: 4
Arcana: 2 Karma
Binding: 6
Counterspelling: 6
Perception: 6
Pistols/Revolvers: 2/+2
Spellcasting: 6
Summoning/Air Spirits: 6/+2

=Knowledge Skills=
Languages>
English: N

Other>
Area Knowledge LA: 3
Magical Threats: 3
NAN: 2
Spirits: 6

=Contacts=
Talismonger (Connection: 5/Loyalty: 4)
Paramedic Shaman (Connection: 3/Loyalty: 6)

=Spells=
Ball Lightning
Stunball
Analyze Truth
Combat Sense
Detect Enemies, Extended
Detect Life, Extended Karma
Spatial Sense, Extended Karma
Heal
Increase Reflexes
Improved Invisibility
Trid Phantasm
Levitate

=Bound Foci=
Spell (Sustaining) [Detection]: Rating 4, cost 16,000 Nuyen

=Lifestyle=
Low w/ DocWagon Contract, Basic (1 Month prepaid) - 2417 Nuyen

=Equipment=
ID:
Fake SIN: Rating 4 - 10,000 Nuyen
Fake Mage License: Rating 3 - 600 Nuyen
Fake Pistol License: Rating 3  - 600 Nuyen
Fake Weapon License: Rating 3 - 600 Nuyen
>Subtotal: 11,800 Nuyen

Weapons:
Colt New Model Revolver (Concealable Quick Draw Holster, 10 Ammo: Reg (Holdouts)) - 475 Nuyen
Taurus Omni-6 (Quick Draw Holster, 50 Ammo: Reg (Light Pistols), Speed Loader) - 600 Nuyen
Ruger Super Warhawk (Holster, 50 Ammo: Reg (Heavy Pistols), Speed Loader) - 675 Nuyen
Combat Knife - 300 Nuyen
>Subtotal: 2050 Nuyen

Armor/Clothing:
Armor Jacket: (Nonconductivity: Rating 3, Concealed Pocket) - 1750 Nuyen

Commlink/Software:
Erika Elite Commlink - 2500 Nuyen

Magical Supplies:
Magical Lodge Materials (Force: 6) - 3000 Nuyen
500 drams of reagents - 10,000 Nuyen
>Subtotal 13,000 Nuyen

Other:
Micro-Transceiver - 100 Nuyen
Glasses: Rating 1, Flare Compensation (1) - 350 Nuyen
>Subtotal 450 Nuyen

TOTAL Nuyen spent: 49,967

Start with 3D6 X 60 + 37 Nuyen
====================================

I appreciate any and all criticism. I did my best but I bet there are flaws/mistakes everywhere. I attached the Chummer file if that makes it easier to view the information.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-17-17/1459:53> »
If this is your very first Shadowrun character then congratulations: you have a very solid build that's far better than what most people produce their first time through chargen.

I might rob a point from Logic and/or Strength to put into Intuition (important for Initiative, Assensing, and Perception) and Body (for the extra box on the condition monitor). You don't have any skills linked to Logic or Strength so the loss should be minimal.

I would spend less on reagents during chargen. 100-150 should be plenty to start, unless you plan to go totally nuts with Binding right away. (See below for more thoughts on Binding.) Reagents are Availability 0 which means they are easy to find when you need them, and you'll have more cash than you know what to do with after play begins anyway. Take the ¥7,500 you save on reagents and upgrade your armor, and your licenses to Rating 4. Buy/upgrade your glasses/contacts/earbuds too, although be careful because a GM could leverage Gremlins to turn the screws on your communication and perception equipment.

It's GM call, but I think your prejudice is a little too specific, given that it would apply to <1% of the population. I like how you're using Gremlins to simulate electronics not functioning well around him, but if you're concerned about Gremlins 2 then you could downgrade it to rating 1 while upgrading Prejudice to Common/Outspoken for Wage Slaves (instead of just Wage Mages).

At chargen, Contacts have a combined Connection+Loyalty limit of 7, so you've overspent on yours (which are both at a combined rating of 9). See the box on the bottom of p.98 of SR5.

Spell list looks good. Others will likely lobby you to pick up a power focus. While these are great, they are very expensive in terms of opportunity cost. I would stay on your current course.

Personally, I would buy a single point of Pistols with karma and then take the skill points you save and turn them into specializations. You'll need 2 karma for that, so maybe start Arcana at 1 instead of 2. That should be enough to begin. Your pistols dice pool will drop from 7 to 4, but you shouldn't be shooting much anyway. The gun is primarily to make you look less like a mage, at least until the first lightning ball shoots out of you.

You are missing Sneaking and Intimidation from your skill list. Sneaking is for staying alive and Intimidation is to leverage your mentor spirit bonus. As for where to find the points, that's tough. Unless Binding is key to your character concept, I would cannibalize those points. Most shamans frown on binding anyway, seeing it as a form of indentured servitude. But, maybe the character learned it during his time as a wage mage. Up to you.

Again, great start. Welcome to the shadows.

Stasy

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-17-17/1635:23> »
Thanks Tecumseh! I spent the last week reading through books Core, SG, and RG, as well as scouring the forums for advice/tips on building mages. I guess I've built a character in Shadowrun: Returns before, so there's that.

I initially thought I was going to take Meta at D and Resources at E, so I could have Edge 5, but once I realized how great the sustaining Focus is with Detection spells, I decided to go that route. I had not planned to take the Focused Concentration in the beginning, but I had 13 points of Karma that I didn't really know what to do with at the end. I figured it would pair well with Increase Reflexes.

Another important note for this character is I would really like to get an Ally Spirit as he progresses. Because of that, I know I am going to need Arcana in the future so I can Initiate. But, other than that, the skill seemed useless to me. Is it better to put more points in it now since I know it will be required down the line? I've read the karma costs for progressing your character, but I don't I grasp it enough to determine what is the best route to get to my final destination.

On the topic of my pistol skill, I thought I would be shooting my revolvers often enough. I only have two combat spells and both are area. Ball Lightning for when the wrath of the Thunderbird must be inflicted upon all and Stunball for when we want a silent, non-lethal enemy party wipe (or I need a mana attack). I figured most of my combat would be materializing a Spirit or two, hanging back with a detect enemies or spatial sense spell up to provide intel, and taking pot shots with the revolvers. Maybe even slapping the Tank on his butt to give him a Force 6 Increase Reflexes.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of Intimidation; I had points in it at one point but forgot about it later on in char gen. Stealth is a good idea too. I think I can make it work.

What should I upgrade my armor and items to? I didn't see anyway to upgrade my earbuds or commlink, and my glasses only need to be rating 1 for the flare compensation. I don't know what else I would put on the glasses since most vision enchantments don't work with magic.

Here is the character after making some changes from your suggestions:

BREAKDOWN (Priority)
A: Mage (Magic: 6, 2 rating: 5 magical skills, 10 spells)
B: Attributes (20)
C: Skills 28/2
D: Resources (50,000 Nuyen)
E: Human (1)

Starting Karma (25)
Positive Qualities - 25
Negative Qualities - <25>
Spell Detect Life, Extended - 5
Spell Spatial Sense, Extended - 5
Arcana at 2 1 - 2
Intimidation at 1 - 2
Bound Spell Focus: Rating 4 - 8
1 3 Karma left over

=Attributes=
Body: 2 3
Agility: 3
Reaction: 3
Strength: 2 1
Charisma: 6
Intuition: 4 5
Logic: 3 2
Willpower: 5
Edge: 3
Magic: 6

Essence: 6.00
Initiative: 7 + 1d6

=Positive Qualities=
Mentor Spirit - Thunderbird
(+2 Intimidation Test, +2 Summoning Air Spirits)
Focused Concentration 3
Spirit Whisperer
(Spirits +1 die to resist summoning tests, +1 Force to spirits summoned)

=Negative Qualities=
Faraday Himself (+2 Noise around me)
Gremlins 2 both Gremlins and Faraday are to represent how electronics don't work well around him due to his lightning affinity
Prejudiced (Specific, Biased) [Wage Mage Slave ]
Reduced Sense (Smell) I took this to say my sense of smell is disrupted by the smell of Ozone, more Thunderbird theme
SINner (National) [Pueblo]

=Active Skills=
Influence Group: 2
Arcana: 2 1 Karma
Assensing: 4 3
Binding: 6
Counterspelling: 6
Intimidation: 1 Karma
Perception: 6
Pistols/Revolvers: 2 1/+2
Sneaking/Urban: 1/+2
Spellcasting: 6
Summoning/Air Spirits: 6/+2

=Knowledge Skills=
Languages>
English: N

Other>
Area Knowledge LA: 3
Magical Threats: 3
NAN: 2
Spirits: 6

=Contacts=
Talismonger (Connection: 5 4/Loyalty:4 3)
Paramedic Shaman (Connection: 3 2/Loyalty: 6 5)
Freedom Fighter (Connection: 3/Loyalty: 1)

=Spells=
Ball Lightning
Stunball
Analyze Truth
Combat Sense
Detect Enemies, Extended
Detect Life, Extended Karma
Spatial Sense, Extended Karma
Heal
Increase Reflexes
Improved Invisibility
Trid Phantasm
Levitate

=Bound Foci=
Spell (Sustaining) [Detection]: Rating 4, cost 16,000 Nuyen

=Lifestyle=
Low w/ DocWagon Contract, Basic (1 Month prepaid) - 2417 Nuyen

=Equipment=
ID:
Fake SIN: Rating 4 - 10,000 Nuyen
Fake Mage License: Rating 3 4 - 600 800 Nuyen
Fake Pistol License: Rating 3 4  - 600 800 Nuyen
Fake Weapon License: Rating 3 4 - 600 800 Nuyen
>Subtotal: 11,800 12,400 Nuyen

Weapons:
Colt New Model Revolver (Concealable Quick Draw Holster, 10 Ammo: Reg (Holdouts)) - 475 Nuyen
Taurus Omni-6 (Quick Draw Holster, 50 Ammo: Reg (Light Pistols), Speed Loader) - 600 Nuyen
Ruger Super Warhawk (Holster, 50 Ammo: Reg (Heavy Pistols), Speed Loader) - 675 Nuyen
Combat Knife - 300 Nuyen
>Subtotal: 2050 Nuyen

Armor/Clothing:
Armor Jacket: (Nonconductivity: Rating 3, Concealed Pocket) - 1750 Nuyen

Commlink/Software:
Erika Elite Commlink - 2500 Nuyen

Magical Supplies:
Magical Lodge Materials (Force: 6) - 3000 Nuyen
500 150 drams of reagents - 10,000 3,000 Nuyen
>Subtotal 13,000 6,000 Nuyen

Other:
Micro-Transceiver - 100 Nuyen
Glasses: Rating 1, Flare Compensation (1) - 350 Nuyen
>Subtotal 450 Nuyen

TOTAL Nuyen spent: 43,567

Start with 3D6 X 60 + 37 6433 Nuyen
====================================

Highlights: Change the attributes slightly, moved some skills around with karma and specialties, dropped a bunch of reagents and upped the fake license ratings.

Now I have 6400 Nuyen to play with.

Again, attached my Chummer file for the character.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-17-17/1858:56> »
You can only bring ¥5,000 out of chargen (see p.94) so keep spending.

Armor: Add more Non-Conductivity, or Fire Resistance, or Chemical Protection to your armor jacket.

Armor, Part II: Buy something for social situations, since you have the Charisma to find yourself in nice places. Get one of the suits from Run & Gun.

Earbuds: First, get earbuds. Then give them Audio Enhancement.

Contacts/Glasses: It's a GM decision whether vision enhancement affects Magic. Many GMs let it slide. If your GM doesn't want them to play together then you can get cutesy with a monocle that has some of your vision enhancements in it. This will help you spot the monowire without hampering your casting. Plus, you could use something with Image Link so that you can get text messages from your team without having to look down at your commlink.

Arcana is useful for Initiation, but that's not an immediate concern.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-17-17/2221:59> »
If you plan on learning a few more spells later on, then you could buy some spell formulae if you need to burn through some Nuyen.