NEWS

Run idea, looking for advice on would this be workable please.

• 4 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <02-07-17/0654:55> »
I was watching a horror movie recently (hills have eyes 2) and it prompted a little idea for me. I'm not sure it'll work but one thing I'm not sure about is the availability level of gear at the start and I'm hoping for some help.

Basically what I have in mind is melding the 2nd and "3rd" films in the series. Secret base, experiment goes wrong, scientists are all killed/eaten by their product and the corporation behind has to cover up the situation. Problem is all they know for sure is that their containment methods obviously failed horribly. So they get a fully equipped, top of the line, LOYAL milspec unit on site to hopefully contain any potential escape/outbreak but they aren't going to risk good troops without more reason (it costs a lot of money to get someone that good). So they also need a team of runners for a run.

"A secret research of facility recently suffered an attack by a group of runners who were repulsed. Normally that would mean heightened security and greater risks for a second strike however here the situation is different. A top level exec was visiting with a data cache of highly valuable information that they escaped with before being driven off. Right now the corp is using everything they've got to track down and capture these runners while retrieving or destroying that data cache. Which means the facility itself is weakened and has actually had a small part of its remaining defenses drawn off to aid in that task but is still likely to contain some valuable data of use to us from its actual purpose. We need you to go in, retrieve that data and withdraw. Now its not going to be a cake walk but we have a small window where they will have much lower security than normal due to both the damage from the previous attack and their lowering their guard in not expecting a second assault on their own research rather than the visiting executive this soon. We are interested in these projects (made up names) and will pay you X nuyen per objective our information leads us to believe there are a total of 4 second priority targets and 1 main one if you can get them. However we anticipate you only have 10 hours before they'll be able to rearrange their assets enough to resecure the site, less if they catch the runners their after."

Will need work obviously. Anyway the point of the runners is to go in, stir up the experiments and die while providing information to the watching corp security so they have a good idea of what they're getting into and how to deal with it. Any surviving runners will then be finished off before they secure the site properly. Of course out of game the runners have a decent chance against the experiments and if they make it out alive (I have plans to ensure they can't just turn around and leave when the find out they've been lied too) the corp security will have been jumped from behind by escaped experiments and have died/been forced to withdraw/be distracted as they come out with not dying horribly.

This is just a one off adventure not part of a campaign so I'm wondering if more experienced GM's could give an idea of what would be a good level for the characters abilities? Normal priority with no availability (nothing special but given access to special toy's because its not going to affect the long term game world), high life to represent a general better class of runner, something else?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-07-17/0913:52> »
Some things to consider:

- Don't start this off with an easily found out lie. Stay close to the truth: Secret compound had an accident, security on site at the moment non-existent. Go in and get X while this situation persists. That way the runners don't automatically get tipped off that they walked into a trap.
- Skill requirements are heavily dependent on the escaped experiments: Are they merely melee capable and not particularly intelligent? No need for special rules, starting charas will do. Are they capable of spitting acid over long distances, are dual natured and and heavily armored? Higher availability gear might be a good idea.
- Make sure that combat isn't the only solution to the situation - that cheapens the horror aspect. Have them race for an agent/allergene that stops the experiments regeneration/breaches their armor is a nice puzzle solution. (But make sure that the experiments are still dangerous - just no longer unstoppable)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-07-17/1752:06> »
Ok in order . . .

1) What I posted is just a rough draft you're right the involvement of the group needs work.

2) I was going at it the other way idea - runner abilities - enemies and was going to develop the enemies abilities to challenge the runners once I had decided on how equipped/skilled they'd be rather than deciding what to give the runners based on what they'd be fighting.

3) Hmmm interesting thought in that there, maybe an implanted explosive in the experiments can be triggered from inside the facility but due to short range (its located inside a mesa area that would block the signal) it has to be either triggered before they move out of range. I shall think on this depends on where I want to go with the creatures perhaps I'll borrow from the Resident Evil films as well its a viral contaminant and they need the antivirus that's in the facility. Obviously not as infectious as that particular virus but still I can see a way to work here.

maxcarrion

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-16-17/0800:43> »
Motivations and resources - who wants what and what do they have.  Setting up a runner team as canary's is fine if there's a good reason but it's not necessarily plan a.

From the corp perspective this is FULL of holes, the corps are being stupid and that wouldn't fly at my table.  For example, if this base is illegal, sending in a non loyal team with cyber eyes and matrix access leaves you REALLY exposed, murdering them after won't help the corp.  If it's legal but has sensitive material the runners can still easily transmit it out.  Basically, if you require loyalty you CANNOT send in runners to murder them later because runners are slippery and will have done the damage long before you can take them out.  Either the corp sends in a team they trust or they accept that anything the team stumbles across could become public knowledge.

Tweaking it slightly - lets say its a Ren (Renraku) facility - bad things have happened and they don't have a team nearby.  A Red Samurai team are assembling but will not be onsite for 9 hours by which point some of the "experiments" might be getting out of control and some preperations might make things easier.  A Ren Johnson reaches out to a Shadowrun team he knows to assist in containment - accepting that there might be some loyalty issues.  The team are asked to get into the security control centre, activate the security lockdown protocol and create a relay for the sensor feeds so that when the Red Sam are onsite they have eyes in the facility and can perform a more thorough containment.  It's a very dangerous run and the Face has to promise hardware up front and a significant pile of cash after (hardware that is slaved to a Ren host and can't be kept by the PCs unless they can figure out a way to stop Ren from tracking it) - of course, rather than pay the significant pile of cash the Red Sam might have an alternate payment method - bullets are cheap.  But if the team behaved having a good team with some loyalty might be worth actually paying them

Note, doesn't have to be Ren, just easier to imagine specifics then be abstract for me.

Secondary objectives include engaging various test subjects to assess their combat potential and provide intel to the Assault Team

As far as player abilities, it really depends what's in the facility and what you reasonably expect the players to engage.  Facing a hellhound, a pair of ghouls and a force 5 insect spirit in a human body in 3 separate encounters that the PCs can scout and choose not to engage could be done by a street team, Barghests, troll cyber zombies and Vampires getting the drop on the players are rather nastier, especially if the team don't know what they might be facing, if you actually expect them to face down an equal number of un-wounded Red Sam at the end of it then they better be seriously high end, if the players can instead escape the Red Sam out the back door and leg it while they are busy with the Vamps then it's more plausible.

GloriousRuse

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-16-17/2354:43> »
Max has several very good points, and bluntly, is right: these are the exact situations you invest all that money in good, loyal corp troops for. Runners are designed to avoid exposing the corp, not increase the risk That said, there is a pretty simple tweak that will bypass that: make it someone else's facility. If the runners leak that it's Corp B's facility, Corp A who hired them is probably happy about it and happy that they have done their best to avoid tipping their hand that they both A) conducted a smash and grab to get the data, and B) Blared Corp B's dirty laundry all over the 'trix.

You can basically use your initial brief with a few mods:

"We've been tracking a rival bio-research facility. Something went wrong in the last five hours, and one of our informants tried to send an update and extraction call, but it got interrupted mid transmission. We don't know how it got cut off. We're still piecing it together,  but it seems like a bioware experiment went wrong. We got eyes in the sky , but  couldn't do any astral check out without being exposed. From what we saw, a local response team was sent in- about 15 minutes later they came back out firing and dragging four wounded or dead with them. An unidentified metahuman looking heat source chased them out, but they brought it down in a hail of fire. They immediately retreated, and there are probably only four to six hours before they are reinforced with regional forces. We'll provide more details if you'll accept, but the basics are we need you to get to that facility, extract our informant and any scientists you can, as well as some data. It's a fluid and developing situation, and you'll have significant information support - just don't expect anything direct, we're already too exposed as it is. We'll give you more details if you accept; the paycheck is (SUFFICIENTLY LARGE NUMBER) with some bonus clauses we can discuss after you accept. You can back out now to no hard feelings - continuing the conversation beyond this point puts us in a relationship where  we understand you to be prospectively in our employ with all the usual implications. I'll give you fifteen minutes to talk it over with your team."

Now you've got it all:

A) Secret facility with unknown but vaguely biological experimentation.

B) A containment team due to arrive in 4-6 hours..or earlier.  Estimates are, after all, just estimates.

C) A penetration into said facility to find survivors or not-survivors as you see fit, and a reliable reason to force them deeper into the lair...that paydata isn't on the entry level secretary's link after all.

D) The corp has obviously put informants into this rival facility. They equally obviously were willing to enter it's airspace with a drone and try an astral probe despite some exposure risk. Suffice to say they likely care a good deal about possessing this data and making sure it is not open everyone. They might not care if random trids of the Experiments disgrace Corp B, but they also don't need any stories about how three scientists that caused those experiments were quietly taken and delivered to someone else. If you really need to have the runners betrayed, there's your motive.

Then again, you could also say a serious runner team - AKA the type of people you send into unknown situations in secret facilities - are probably smart enough to know that data exclusivity is part of the deal, they are working for someone big, and that this is pretty obviously not a "lets drop this on the trix and see how long it takes for our employer to figure out there are only a few potential sources of that leak - including the X people they have in custody who probably didn't do it" and get away with it situation. That sort of behavior ends with midnight flashbangs and waking up in extrajudicial territory. 

E) A tailorable situation GM side. An outside corp only knows as much as you want the runners to know. You can tailor the details to your vision for the level of exploration. Just remember the line from Ronin about not having enough info: "The price has gotta go up."

« Last Edit: <02-17-17/0000:52> by GloriousRuse »