NEWS

Is the no time travel, teleportation or raising the dead spells real in world?

• 35 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <01-27-17/0118:15> »
First off this isn't a rules question I fully understand that these kind of spells aren't part of the game and why. What I'm curious about is whether that limitation is known about in the shadowrun world itself. That is have their been experiments with mages trying to time travel or the like and meeting a horrible, grisly end or just having nothing happen no matter how much power and resources they threw at it. Or is it just a quiet out of game ruling these things don't work with no one in the game world ever actually attempting/questioning it?

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-27-17/0245:06> »
I'm quite sure that there are people who are working on that, just as there are 'scientists' today who do the same.  In my opinion teleportation would be the only one where the big corps are also investigating resources on.  Time travel and raise dead are probably more for the fringe sciences.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-27-17/0338:00> »
So more a metagame restriction than something that is reflected in the game world lore somwhere.

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <01-27-17/0942:19> »
Teleportation is currently the "Holy Grail" the Corps. seek, because whoever get's it first is gonna gets a incredible powerful advantage over his competitiors. So far they only suceeded in Interplanar Travel.

Raising Dead is mentioned as a fluff power in Court of Shadows:
pukwudgies appear to have a limitless facility for controlling the dead. Any of the dead. Stories abound of pukwudgies calling up fallen soldiers and turning them on their masters, or
of pukwudgies strutting ahead of an entire army of corpses.
so it should exists.

Time Travel just causes Headaches, but eh this is the 6th World, so propably some magic fuck up with that result happened somewhere, but generally any non accidental use of time travel should always be avoided aka "Why didn't they just use the Time Turner to kill Voldemort"

So yeah, these are really more "this should be kept out of player hands at all costs unless you want them to fuck everything up" restrictions.(and lets face it, we totally would  ;D)

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #4 on: <01-27-17/1102:25> »
That isn't raising the dead, Xexanoth.  That's controlling bodies.  There's a big difference.  No-one has ever brought the dead back to life; the closest thing is keeping the soul in a 'dead' body.  You know, cyberzombies.  Blood magic, possible inhabitation by evil spirits (that also happened in some lore about an insane mage who went Dark after his wife died trying to bring her back), etc.  All in all, bad times for everyone. 

You think Megacorporations aren't looking for ways to raise the dead?  Teleportation might be a money-maker, but how many people would pay to come back?  Look at leonization, and imagine they made it even better.  That it could undo a horrific accident and put your loved ones back in your arms.  There's no shortage of those who'd kill for such an ability (ironic, yes). 

Same goes for time travel.  Instant youth without mind-altering nanites!

One can assume all of those projects are being worked on, or at least a means to gain the equivalent if folks accept the main goal is untenable (such as Perianwyr's extreme speed spell).  Then there's the out-of-game text explicitly stating all of these things are impossible in Shadowrun, no exceptions.  Just because we know that, doesn't mean others in-setting do.  Even if there is someone around to tell them it is impossible, it is completely within the realm of reason for Shadowrun that they don't believe it; people lie all the time, and that drek-head just wants to keep those secrets for their own use. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #5 on: <01-27-17/1121:19> »
Time Travel, Teleportation, and Resurrection magic are known, in world, to not be possible at this time.

Out of game, we know that some of those things are possible, when mana levels are higher, since some of that stuff was in Earthdawn IIRC, though it was all INCREDIBLY high level stuff.

The megacorps are, naturally, quite interested in finding a way to make it work, but as such the closest you get to 'raising the dead' would be Shedim, and no one wants that. Actual teleportation isn't possible at this time, but faux teleportation is possible if you have a spirit that can open an Astral Gateway in one place and then open it again to dump you out somewhere else. Whole lot of problems with that.

As for time travel, well, even most idiots don't like messing with that shit. Being able to see or predict the future is much more useful (and has fewer cataclysmic drawbacks) than screwing with time. That's playing with core parts of the universe we live in, like gravity. Magic can be used to influence the fabric of the universe, but the closer you get to core concepts (like laws of physics and time), the more energy it takes for any appreciable effect, and the more likely it is to fail outright.

Getting people 'caught out of time' is possible, though that usually takes the form of finding some way for the victim to simply not experience the time between A and B, such as if they were turned to stone, or caught in an Alchera, or something like that. Going back in time is out of the question, and I don't think they managed it even in Earthdawn times.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-27-17/1125:48> »
My recollection (and this was years ago long long before I was a freelancer) is that back in 1-2e, these were benchmark rules of game design.  The original Threats' chapter on the black lodge includes a ton of shadowtalk about the impossibility of teleportation according to magical theory.  No death distinguished Shadowrun from games like Dungeons & Dragons that had various ways of circumventing death, lowering the stakes of combat.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-27-17/1129:43> »
Thats's what I was curious about Kincaid if there were actual ingame reflections of the metalore i.e. current magical theory has proven that time travel via magic is impossible (which is not to say current magical theory is right ;D) or mage X tried raising his wife and got an army of Shedim instead. That is events and theory that are actually in the game lore or history of Shadowrun rather than a GM's section "These things are not possible because they will give you headaches if you ever even think of allowing them." note. Hmmm

Exercept from a presentation by Issac Abrams to the board.
"Magical theory has conclusively proven that teleportation via magic is theoretically possible but the energy requirements are so great no mage currently living can manage even a short distance. Therefore we are researching a variant of the Shushin from a popular anime series where the user travels faster than the eye can see from a starting point to their destination. Our early experiments have been extremely promising with several young mages succesfully using the spell in development. We just had a slight hitch where in even if they were able to clearly see a destination their bodies proved unable to sustain the speeds involved. However we are confident the testing facility will be back in operation within 3-8 weeks and once we have recruited some new testers we will resume development."
« Last Edit: <01-27-17/1139:30> by Senko »

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #8 on: <01-27-17/1423:52> »
I'm frankly fine with keeping any of those out of the hands of players in Shadowrun.

Raise Dead is the least offensive because you normally need direct access to the body in most instances where it applies in other games.
Of course, this still detracts from the threat of a highly lethal game.

Teleportation wrecks heist games completely. There's no need for planning of how to get from A to B, when you can just immediately arrive at B and then leave as you came.
And any measures to mitigate teleportation only devolve heavily into convolution, instadeath GM gotchas and just completely degrade the usefulness of characters who can't bamf (drivers/pilots spring to mind).

Time Travel is easily the most powerful ability of all, because without some sort of hard counter to mucking with timelines too much (like Wrinkle in WoD's Mage) it means you can just force the story to go wherever you want, or utterly derail everything to the point where it's an incomprehensible mess. (time travel stories are tough to run by default if you don't keep them simple)
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <01-27-17/1531:11> »
Setting Wise, there have been several people claiming to have come back from the dead, or have the ability to return people to life....

But in EVERY case, what has come back is not what has died....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-27-17/1554:43> »
One of my brother-in-law's characters was a rather nutty raven shaman who figured out time travel. (Don't ask me how, I want in my fiance's life yet when that happened). He's now an NPC antagonist/plot hook/expediter. The guy is chaos incarnate, and the only way you MIGHT gt him to play nice with you is to offer copious amounts of beef jerky. The real stuff. Good luck with that.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-27-17/1948:05> »
So far they only suceeded in Interplanar Travel.
If you can create manatech that succeeds in making interplanar travel viable, and can return you to the physical plane in a location other than where you started, would you not say teleportation is now a thing in Shadowrun? While it gets some uncertainty added at the tail end of the entry, this is precisely what is described in one of the 5e books.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-27-17/2314:26> »
Which is what I'm looking for. Personally I'd like to be able to teleport and time travel (raising the dead has a lot of worrying implications) however I quite understand keeping them out of a game. I just wanted to know if there had been cannon reasons the shadowrun world knew what we know as players.

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-28-17/0711:59> »
Raise Dead is the least offensive because you normally need direct access to the body in most instances where it applies in other games.
Of course, this still detracts from the threat of a highly lethal game.
Well with the possibility of burning Edge and buying Edge on the spot for 5 Karma if you're at 0, the lethality of a game is only as high as the players allow it to be.

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <01-28-17/1445:05> »
So far they only suceeded in Interplanar Travel.
If you can create manatech that succeeds in making interplanar travel viable, and can return you to the physical plane in a location other than where you started, would you not say teleportation is now a thing in Shadowrun? While it gets some uncertainty added at the tail end of the entry, this is precisely what is described in one of the 5e books.

Well it's a form of Teleportation, but Spirits have always been able to do that, so it's not exactly "new".Heck, it's on of the reasons why Pixies tend to have pianos dropped on them.

The Problem with interplanar travel is that it's not precise, you can target a certain plane, but you cant really say were exactly the portal will come out. Not to mention that many planes are quite dangerous.
Unless i remembered something wrong, i don't quite remember where the rules for the interplanar travel where and looking through all books would take to much time.