NEWS

Decker Decisions

• 32 Replies

dresdran

• Newb
« on: <01-26-17/1823:08> »
So here I am once again to pester you all with questions and pleas for advice. This time it's because my entire runner group got annihilated by piss-poor planning and freaking flashbang traps and grenade launchers. So because everyone in the party is either completely dead, desperately trying not to drop any blocks of animal fat, or are in such a deep hole that they will never see the light of day we all decided to make a new team and switch roles a wee bit, unfortunately for me (the relatively new guy) this ended up with me having to make a decker because the techno from the last group figured that matrix stuff was not his forte. With the context out of the way here we go with the begging.

What stats and gear are great for deckers (possibly combat deckers) and what advice can you all give me in order for me to not slow my group down to a crawl while I try and figure out the matrix and all of it's lovely actions. I'm thinking of making my new guy a human combat decker that is a part of the Reality Hackers (if that group rings any bells), everything else is up in the air since I feel like my first guy I made for this new role turned into more of a face that happened to be great with technology and thus I am unsure as to what kind of decker I want to make.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, we can use Sum to Ten and the game is set in Montreal.
« Last Edit: <01-26-17/1843:34> by dresdran »

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-27-17/0355:00> »
If you don't want to play a Decker, don't.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-27-17/0405:10> »
Yeah. Really, the decker mini-game should be outsourced if you don't have fun being a decker.
A good agent or a decker contact can take care of that part easily enough.

That said, if you want to be a combat decker, you'll find that the souped up cyberarm is usually the basis for combat abilities, so you can invest more heavily in LOG, INT and WIL, leaving AGI and STR to the cybernetic side.
Alternatively you can also do drone rigging on the side and install a rigger interface to jump into an anthro drone, allowing you to leave four attributes at the wayside, while you go about being a robot hacker.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-27-17/0548:27> »
One thing to keep in mind when you build a Decker is that you can't really have a "half-decker", it's generally all or nothing if you want to survive in the Matrix and particularly in Hosts. What I mean is that most of your resources, skills and attributes will go into Decker's skills so you won't have much left for a secondary speciality. Now it's still possible to have one : Decker/Rigger, Decker/Face (Profiler Quality do wonders), Decker/Medic…

For a Combat Decker, as Jack_Spade said, your best bet is to pick up a Cyberarm or two and use a gun to go with it. You can even add a melee option by either boosting your Arm STR or using a Stun Baton or Monofilament Whip.

As for what you need as a Decker :

Attributes
  • INT : Used for your Matrix Initiative and your Matrix Perception and Search. Matrix Perception is probably the one matrix action you will use the most.
  • LOG : Used for pretty much all non-defensive Matrix actions.
  • WIL : Really important to resist Data Spikes and other source of Biofeedback (Dumpshock) as well as some aggressive Matrix actions.

Skills
Vaguely sorted by usefulness
  • Hacking : This skill is the one that makes the difference between a casual user and a Hacker. It is mostly used to slap MARKs with Hack on the Fly but this control over MARKs is the essence of a Hacker.
  • Computer : This is your break and butter skill, you will use it for EVERYTHING! You can't really be a Hacker if you don't know how to use Computers right? Anyway it is use for Matrix Perception, Matrix Search and a tons of Matrix actions.
  • Electronic Warfare : Although it's not the skill you will use the most, when you need it, you need it high. The two most use are likely Hide and Control Device. If you invest a lot in this skill it's worth to mention that it can replace Intuition with the use of Cameras/Scanners.
  • Cybercombat : Secondary Skill. Most hackers prefer going sneaking with Sleaze actions but sometimes a Data Spike is still the best way to get somewhere.
  • Hardware : You need some points in Hardware for those time when you have to Jack Out linklocked. Appart from that you don't really need it unless you plan to Change Ownership a lot or to face non-matrix connected Maglock.
  • Software : Mostly use for Data Bombs. Don't dump it completely unless you have someone else in your team to take care of those.

Gear
  • Deck : Your most important and expensive piece of Gear. You use it to get into the Matrix and it sets the limit for your actions so make sure to buy a good one. If you are a bit low on nuyen the Little Hornet (Data Trails) is a good deal when it comes to Quality/Cost.
  • Commlink : Getting a good commlink is always a good idea and it often has a better Firewall than your deck to slave stuff on it. It's even possible to add a Dongle for those places where you have to left your deck behind.
  • Jammer : The opposition is trying to mess with your job? Send them some noise right in the face with a Directional Jammer.
  • Tag Eraser : When you need to turn down a device quickly, even if it means bricking it, a tag eraser is your best friend.
  • Cyberdeck Modules, Electronic Modifications, Electronics Accessories… : All those little thing that you can add to custom your Gear and give you an extra edge. Don't hesitate to invest some nuyen there as well.

dresdran

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-27-17/0937:59> »
I did kind of want to bring in my Christian conjurer (the one from my last post) but I thought that since this is a group that knows how new I am at Shadowrun I might as well try and learn how to deck. Besides I was eventually going to play a decker, I make too many characters in games for me to not eventually make a decker or a techno. How much nuyen are you guys talking about, exactly? Are we talking priority B or possibly A? I've heard deckers can be expensive but I'd love to get a number for future reference for when my muse smashes into me and tells me to make something.

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-27-17/1002:45> »
There is no definite answer, it can vary depending on what your decker will do on the side. If you want to be good at meat space fighting you will need some wares : Cyberarm, Muscle Toner, Wired Reflexes or whatever. All that can easily bump Resources to A. On the other hand a Face Decker won't require much more gear than a Deck and can get away with Resources B or C but will absolutely needs skill A to fit all the social + hacking.

I think that a Decker need at least Resources C (maybe with some Karma invested). Of course it's possible to build a lower budget Decker but he won't be really efficient at the start considering that the cheapest Deck (with a decent array) is 49500¥.

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <01-27-17/1315:52> »
I go priority A money with every decker. The good decks costs about 200.000 (Tsurugi or Microtronica Azteca 300). Then you will want lots of bioware and cyberware. (If you choose a worse deck, you will be hampered by low limits). Skills B is preferable but Skills C is doable. Human is a good choice because Edge is more important for a decker than for any other role. 

I have a combat decker in chummer with A money, A atts, C skills, E meta E magic. (Active hardwire rating 6 for Hardware helped the bad skills somewhat.)

FancyDerek

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-27-17/1921:41> »
No offense intended but a Little Hornet w/using 4 electronic parts to modify the array to 6-3-1-1 along with perfect time /quick config/overclocker qualities is good enough... most starting deckers aren't throwing 22+ dice on tests. I suppose if you're an adept-decker,yeah...but  before Jack-Spade yells at me, I wouldn't recommend that hybrid to a new player.

So if you really want to be a decker-face with a respectable combat option I'd suggest skills A resources B attributes C Attributes...

The cyber-arm cheese- AGI 9 synthetic limb is around 55k
The Little Hornet modified is about 91k
So that leaves you around 84k for cyber programs/other 'ware/SIN/weapons etc.

If you are going for just combat and decking then Skill B is good enough..
GL with your character.

dresdran

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <01-27-17/1950:02> »
Great to know. I'm not doing a face decker right now but I'll keep all of this in mind.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #9 on: <01-27-17/2344:16> »
I was working on this a little while back, it still needs to be flushed out some, as it lacks full karma expenditures and gear, but it should give you the general idea.
It's not the bleeding edge of decking, but should competent. You can always swap hacking over cybercombat if that's more your image. Combat wise it should be functional at most tables but not super strong. Needs some solid armor. Init wise it's on the low end for meat space fighting, should be decent decking wise. If you're going to deck just understand the basics of cybercombat, program interaction, and ASDF values. Given that in most situation ASDF  values represent limits, and static values, having high averages will take you further then then have maxed single stat. Get in get out. Understand Matrix perception, and why it matters very clearly. Understand the risk vs reward of Hot Sim vs Cold Sim vs AR. Talk with your GM and make sure you understand his/her take on decking. Understand how to repair bricked gear, and how your gm plans to handle that.

Sum to 10 Resources 4 Attributes 3 Skills 3 Race 0 Magic 0

B   3
A   2
S   2
R   3(6)
L   6(7)
I   5
W   5
C   2
Edge   3
Initiative 11+2D6

Qualities-
Common Sense -3
Brand Loyalty (Product-Ares) -3
Ninja Vanish -5
Online Fame -4
Codeslinger (Brute Force) -10
Overclock 5 (-10 karma)
Creature of Comfort +10
Code of Honor +15

Skills- 36/5
Pistols 6(7) (Heavy Pistol +2) 7
Cybercombat 6 (Persona +2) 7
Unarmed 6(7) (Cyber Implant +2) 7
Hacking 5
Electronic Warfare 6
Electronics Skill Group 5
Etiquette 3 (Matrix Etiquette +2) 4

Cyberware
Datajack (1) 0.1
Cybereyes 2 (14) 0.3
   (Flare Compensation, Image link, Low Light Vision, Smartlink, Thermographic)
Cerebral Booster (31.5) 0.3
Wired Reflexes 1 (39) 2
Reaction Enhancer 2 (26) .6
Reflex Recorder (Pistol, Unarmed) (28) 0.2
Full Arm (Agi 9, Str 5) (71) 1
(Enhancement Agi 3 [3], Cybergun Modification (Ares Predator) [6], Shock Hand [4])
210k (4.5)

Combat Pools:
Pistols (Attribute 9+Skill 9+Smartlink 2+Quality 1) 21 [Acc 7] Damage 6S(e) AP -6 Clip 15
Unarmed (Attribute 9+Skill 9) 18 [P-Limit 6] 9S(e) AP -5 Charges (10)

Cash 450k

Gear
Deck
Renraku Tsurugi (214,125)

Commlink
Transys Avalon 5
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

dresdran

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <01-28-17/1254:44> »
How about splurging for getting a Yak Killer if I had an A for resources? Seems rather appropriate for someone who is in the Reality Hackers and it seems to have a stat array similar enough to the Little Hornet. Also I have an extremely noobish question, what is the significance of the device rating for commlinks and cyberdecks? Can't seem to find where it says what it means.
« Last Edit: <01-28-17/1329:45> by dresdran »

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #11 on: <01-28-17/1456:26> »
It forms the cap for how many slaved devices you can have on it and for comms it defines the DP and firewall stat
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

dresdran

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <01-28-17/1839:22> »
So what would you all recommend in terms of programs for this guy to have? There's quite a few.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-28-17/1919:27> »
Considering how (comparatively) cheap programs are?  ALL of them.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #14 on: <01-28-17/1948:40> »
I feel the following is probably the best all around set up for a Combat Decker setting up priorities table using Sum-2-10

4-Cash = $450K
3-Attr = 20+8
3-Skills = 36/5g
0-Human = 3 Edge
0-Mag/Res = 0

It allows for the following very basic set up.

Around $200K in Deck,  $200K in Cyber,  $50K is remaining gear.

Cyber Arm w/ high Agility for sure & some Armor/STR as well.  Built in Cyberdeck & Comlink-6 are a must have for concealment.

Bod-3,  Agi-1,  Rea-5,  Str-1,  Wil-5,  Log-5,  Int-6,  Cha-2

10/20 Karma can boost those 1's to 2's &/or a single point of Muscle Replacement can take them to 2 or 3.
Cyber can boost Logic further.
Wired-1 is fairly cheap, as is Reaction Enhancers &/or Boosted Reflexes which will guarantee you 2-3 actions a turn.

Skills 36/5g is something I would normally set up as follows....
5G
6S
6S
6S
6S
1S

5G is for Electronics or Cracking
6S is for a Firearm of some time, Automatics is always basic & solid.
Other 6S are skills opposite the Electronics/Cracking group set.
1S can be useful for Groundcraft/Wheeled or Software/Databomb
6 is good for Perception
If you have a single skill left at some point then I suggest Sneaking/Urban, Con/Fasttalk, or even FirstAid to give you some added ability.