NEWS

Trolls and shotguns

• 19 Replies

Desiani

• Chummer
« on: <01-21-17/2054:05> »
So I am making a troll Mysad (More Adept than mystic) and from a  RP side... for some reason the WINCHESTER MODEL 201 looks really fun even despite the clip issues. Are all trolls Auto-Melee or are guns pretty good from a RP/Flavor wise?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <01-21-17/2304:01> »
Yes, trolls can use guns no problem.

The issue is that many people say Trolls are not "optimal" for guns because of the lower Agility...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-22-17/0005:07> »
What you want to do with a gun-toting troll is go for the high rate of fire weapons. Sure, they might not have the highest agility, but with enough strength and recoil-compensation gear they can fire full-auto with anything, and nobody will be able to dodge for drek. Plus, with higher strength comes the ability to carry around and use the heavier categories of machine guns.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <01-22-17/0046:48> »
What I am going for is literally a Shotgun toting Mysad Giant. Most of my Life module Karma Magic wise is a power Focus of R3 ish and 5 spells max with the rest going full 7/7 PP. I took Exceptional Attribute (Magic).

He's a community college professor that teaches Magic Theory and Adept Firearms courses. He's gotten bored with his job and has taken up Running to help pay for equipment for his classes. Ares doesn't pay much when all you are is a community college mean to funnel new blood into Ares Staff, security and military in my case. Also.. he like to just shoot people with his Shotgun :P

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-22-17/0220:17> »
What I am going for is literally a Shotgun toting Mysad Giant. Most of my Life module Karma Magic wise is a power Focus of R3 ish and 5 spells max with the rest going full 7/7 PP. I took Exceptional Attribute (Magic).

Not sure if you are aware of the errata, but Mystic adepts pay 5 karma per Power point now, so those 7 PP are costing you 35 karma... Not saying you can't do it, it just means that a large chunk of your karma has gone there....

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <01-22-17/0254:05> »
I know. I took the full 7/7 to lock in the 35 in case I found a need for all 7 points. I'm almost done with the char and found myself only 'needing' 5/7 so I am going to free up 10 karma for a spell or two i think.... Although I can't seem to make up my mind on if I want 5 or 7 spells. My main jive will be to Summon spirits and chuck elemental grenades into rooms. Occasionally use Phys Barrier to trap a group of mooks for a Pass or two while I chew through people with APDS shotgun rounds xD

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-22-17/0402:51> »
I know.

Fair enough. Just didn't want you wasting all your time, only to find out you're 21 karma short :P

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-22-17/0545:51> »
You know what you're doing. If you don't think your opinion will change when you can see you're less effective than you could be (either through break-loadng shotgun or shovelling points into 7Mag/7PP mystic adept troll) then I hope it all works out awesome.

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <01-22-17/0635:04> »
What you want to do with a gun-toting troll is go for the high rate of fire weapons. Sure, they might not have the highest agility, but with enough strength and recoil-compensation gear they can fire full-auto with anything, and nobody will be able to dodge for drek. Plus, with higher strength comes the ability to carry around and use the heavier categories of machine guns.

Shotguns give quiet nasty maluses to evasion too, especially in close range.
Works well with the tanky nature of trolls, People tend to focus on the Troll directly in front of them, not the sniper on the next building.
And if the shotgun doesn't finish em of, you can just use your high strenght to punch right through em.

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <01-22-17/1249:39> »
You know what you're doing. If you don't think your opinion will change when you can see you're less effective than you could be (either through break-loadng shotgun or shovelling points into 7Mag/7PP mystic adept troll) then I hope it all works out awesome.

I think you are dismissing the fact that I can use it as a club ;D

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-22-17/1252:08> »

Sadly, there are many that only Min/Max and don't care about concept. And while a certain level of optimalization is needed, it shouldn't be the only focus of character creation....

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <01-22-17/1632:47> »

I could only budget for 3/5 agility sadly. Most of my casting skills/attributes were upped since he is a big defensive caster. To correct this I took the Adept power Attribute Boost Agility with 5/10 body and 4/5 will for only 1 drain should be good. I'm going Psionic Tradition so my Intuition is 5/5.

While I know I'm not going to win any casting spam off having Physical Barrier, (Element) Grenade, mana Barrier and Petrified. I have enough combat utility as the group doesn't have any current Barrier mages (the shaman doesn't use any spells except mana bolt and Napalm even though he has improved invisible/levitate and heal, he's not a team player :/

I'm going for a Trap, run up and mage grenade or drop it and shotgun cone the group/individual

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-22-17/1920:28> »
I hope it all works out awesome.

Rifle butt: Accuracy 3, (STR + 3)S
I prefer the Krime Boss for trollish style, but mileage varies.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-23-17/0917:56> »
What are you guys going on about clubs for when bayonets are a thing?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-25-17/1944:58> »
What are you guys going on about clubs for when bayonets are a thing?

because while having a shotgun is questionable enough for the average security to go "Hmmm... Wtf?", Having a bayonet mounted to your shotgun makes it an auto "Keep an eye on this guy!" ??