NEWS

How do you buy restricted gear?

• 53 Replies

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #30 on: <02-11-17/0730:02> »
@Sterling
Scarcity still wouldn't keep legal items from being indexed online, would it?

Remember that you don't have a global internet in Shadowrun, it's a collection of local matrices, so if the item you're looking for is out of stock with the suppliers on that particular matrix I can see it being removed from any index.

Imagine trying to get hold of the latest gadget on the day of release after the manufacturer has deliberately withheld stock to push up demand.  It's a legal item, but you just try and get hold of it for next day delivery.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <02-11-17/0936:44> »
@Sterling

Remember that you don't have a global internet in Shadowrun, it's a collection of local matrices, so if the item you're looking for is out of stock with the suppliers on that particular matrix I can see it being removed from any index.

There is a global internet, it's the public grid. Googling still exists, as in page 222 of the core book. There are also other global grids.  Plus you can see and visit any host from literally anywhere in the world, from any grid. If you really want an HK-227 submachine gun, and for some reason can't find one with two seconds of googling (which is pretty preposterous IMO), then you can just go to a Heckler & Koch host that will happily direct you a product listing and encourage you to buy it along with all the accessories, ammo, advertisements, and subscriptions your budget can hold. That is exactly what the corps want to happen.

If an item is out of stock, the supplier would still lists it, but with some red text reading "out of stock". And then you can probably just contact them and ask "Hey I really want that R6 bug scanner, can I like preorder it or something so I get it when it's back in stock?", and they will be delighted to let you buy it as soon as they get more. Or chances are you can literally go to the next link that comes up on google and find someone who still has some for sale.

I guess if you're looking for a truly obscure item, then a matrix search test might be appropriate to locate an online listing. But if an individual or organization is on the matrix actively attempting to sell this thing, then that vendor is going to make it as easy as possible for you to find their wares. I'd call it threshold 1 matrix search, and include any applicable penalties (-1 for "intricate/specialized", -2 for obscure, -2 for on another grid).

Sterling

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <02-11-17/1137:54> »
@Sterling

There is a global internet, it's the public grid. Googling still exists, as in page 222 of the core book. There are also other global grids.  Plus you can see and visit any host from literally anywhere in the world, from any grid. If you really want an HK-227 submachine gun, and for some reason can't find one with two seconds of googling (which is pretty preposterous IMO), then you can just go to a Heckler & Koch host that will happily direct you a product listing and encourage you to buy it along with all the accessories, ammo, advertisements, and subscriptions your budget can hold. That is exactly what the corps want to happen.

If an item is out of stock, the supplier would still lists it, but with some red text reading "out of stock". And then you can probably just contact them and ask "Hey I really want that R6 bug scanner, can I like preorder it or something so I get it when it's back in stock?", and they will be delighted to let you buy it as soon as they get more. Or chances are you can literally go to the next link that comes up on google and find someone who still has some for sale.

I guess if you're looking for a truly obscure item, then a matrix search test might be appropriate to locate an online listing. But if an individual or organization is on the matrix actively attempting to sell this thing, then that vendor is going to make it as easy as possible for you to find their wares. I'd call it threshold 1 matrix search, and include any applicable penalties (-1 for "intricate/specialized", -2 for obscure, -2 for on another grid).

I think we have differing interpretations of what a Public Grid is.  I've taken the information on p. 220 to mean that you will always have access to a grid, one that is provided by "underfunded non-profits, outdated satellites, and the occasional good Samaritan who’s willing to share a wireless access point or two".  Yes, you can hop onto the Public Grid from anywhere in the world, but that doesn't mean you have access to every Host, indeed it's specifically mentioned there are Hosts who do not allow Public Grid Connections.

If there are Hosts that detect you're on a Public Grid and so refuse to allow a connection, they won't return a response on a "Google" search, will they?

As for Megacorporations actively looking to sell their goods, it's highly unlikely you buy from the Megacorporation in the first place.  If you want a Nuke-It Burrito you buy it from your local Stuffer Shack, not Aztechnology.  If you want an HK227 you look for Weapons World, not Saeder-Krupp.  And if you're using Ares' Global Grid it won't list the HK227 at all, but will return a listing for the Sigma-3 instead.

This is how I've interpreted the Matrix, and I fully accept it may not have been the intent, but it works.  If you want to go with the internet existing prior to 2012 and then being maintained through the various crashes then go for it, it's your game.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <02-11-17/1347:10> »
The Shadows in Focus: Sioux book has an entire section about the different availability for various items in the Sioux Nation.

And I actually spotted something that is pertinent directly to this topic: "anyone with a valid hunting license can purchase chameleon suits as if they were only Availability 10 (not Restricted)."

It outright says that having a valid license lets you purchase it legally, but still notes the availability as being 10. This heavily implies that you would still roll against the availability to determine delivery time.
It's also worth noting that the restrictions and legality of guns change in the Sioux nation too: open carrying Light and Heavy pistols is completely legal, and the pistols themselves don't even require a license. Concealed carry and hold-out pistols, however, are forbidden. Semi-automatic longarms are available with a license, but only for home defense and hunting. Automatics are completely illegal unless you're military or corpsec, which is a wise move in my opinion, because let's face it, how often are automatics used against anything other than people?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #34 on: <02-11-17/1449:54> »
The 'Automatic weapons for Duck Hunting Association'  takes offense to your comment....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <02-11-17/1521:24> »
No offense meant. That said, it sounds like those fellows could give me some very enlightening statistics about how often automatics are used on anything other than people.

A Guide to Gridguide

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #36 on: <02-12-17/1801:44> »
I know if I were allowed and able, I'd settle on using automatic rifles to deal with the local Canadian Goose infestation. (in lieu of proximity air-burst shells anyway)
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <02-12-17/2143:32> »
Careful. Those geese are the master of stealth ambush attack!

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <02-13-17/0000:48> »
Air-burst shells are too inaccurate for counter-geese action; what you really want is trained birds of prey or drones that do the same job.

A Guide to Gridguide

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #39 on: <02-13-17/0217:25> »
Air-burst shells are too inaccurate for counter-geese action; what you really want is trained birds of prey or drones that do the same job.

I'm looking to sweep out large volumes at once. And catharsis. All the catharsis.
Microwave radar pulse is another option for Goose Popcorn Explosion.

Sterling

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <02-13-17/0428:42> »

I'm looking to sweep out large volumes at once. And catharsis. All the catharsis.
Microwave radar pulse is another option for Goose Popcorn Explosion.

Claymore. Instant paté. Plus big bangs.
>>Data Trails, p.82

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #41 on: <02-13-17/1053:10> »
I can easily see automatic firearms for home defense in Shadowrun.  For one, there's all the gangers and organized crime.  Secondly, there's all those scary paracritters a semi-automatic weapon can't adequately bring down.  I'd say automatic firearms have a secure niche in the 'pest control' department, depending on what one classifies as pest (such as ghouls). 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <02-13-17/1452:54> »
Silly boy!!!!

Since when has laws been about "comon Sense"?
I can just as easily see Corp Arcoblocks saying "No automatics" for a long list of liberal insanities ("semi-autos keep crime down" - "less bystanders hit with stray rounds" "automatics are Racist!!"-<insert anti gun agenda>).

That - and they can limit the incoming fire during 'high stress times" (like some wageslave wigging out and going postal.... if all your citizens can own are light pistols, then Security only needs <X> protection. Or when a division gets purged, and that Arcoblock evicted.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #43 on: <02-13-17/1559:29> »
Claymore. Instant paté. Plus big bangs.

Claymore Mines? Hmm. I might reserve that for their nests.
But when a flock rolls by, I want to take them all out, in the sky at once.

k_night

• Chummer
« Reply #44 on: <02-13-17/1624:28> »
Roto-drone with mono-whips attached to the propeller?  ;D