NEWS

And baby makes three...

• 40 Replies

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #30 on: <03-01-17/0836:44> »
For the artifact, perhaps the Third Coin of Luck named Feng, or Fertility?

It was bequeathed by Dunkelzahn to Sharon Chiang-Wu, the wife of the CEO of Wuxing in 2057.  Since then it's believed to have been behind both the growth of Wuxing and the birth of the "Wuxing Quintuplets" in 2061.

I'd say that if your players manage to infiltrate Wuxing HQ, steal the coin, and get away alive, that they deserve to have the coin permit them a child.  Providing, of course, that they manage to retain the coin for the entire length of the pregnancy.

"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #31 on: <03-04-17/0222:54> »
I'd call that a definite, though I wouldn't necessarily require them to retain the coin for that period.  Could have absolutely fascinating effects on Wuxing's fortunes during that time ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #32 on: <03-04-17/0742:08> »
The Gestation period for a wolf is only 59 - 63 days.  That's long enough for Wuxing to feel a noticeable effect but short enough that a game doesn't get too bogged down.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #33 on: <03-04-17/1304:42> »
Instead of stealing it, the other good option would be work for Wuxing for access to said Coin.  Give them a reason, and they'll let you use it (without taking it from their holdings). 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <03-04-17/1611:45> »
Is no one else worried about the fallout resulting from a shapeshifter/metahuman child? Everyone from the dragons to the fragging Black Lodge will want to get their hands on that kid.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <03-04-17/1935:57> »
I still think the easier solution (all around) would be for the human "mate" to suck it up and simply get the wolf girl pregnant via actual wolf. Not saying that they should go out and get a breeding male wolf stud and treat her like a farm animal being bred. But artificial means are totally reasonable.

The result wouldn't be the boyfriend's child (genetically), but the whole thing wouldn't require strange pseudo-magically quasi-technical mumbo jumbo that may or may not break the laws of nature both in- and out-of-character. Plus the result would just be a pack of wolves, nothing super eyebrow-raising. They could raise the pups until they were fully grown and then find a way to teach them to get along on their own. It would be much less intensive time-wise than trying to raise a metahuman baby... Those things take like years before they're self-reliant.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <03-04-17/2127:01> »
Given that this is a sociopathic black mage we're talking about here, I don't think "reasonable" options have any application here.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <03-18-17/2126:52> »
Saw this thread, and while its definitely taken a turn for the "magicky" I thought I'd throw a little science in the mix..

In theory you can cross anything with anything else.. more and more you hear about these kinds of things already happening.
How? I'm glad you asked..  <incoming biotech geekiness>

An "offspring" is just another organism with parts of both parents DNA. Even with current technology it is possible to splice DNA into existing cells. The DNA doesn't even have to come from the same species. There are already plenty of examples of getting organisms to produce "unnatural" proteins by splicing in the proper genes.

Now extending this idea, its not unreasonable to consider making an "offspring" by choosing select pieces of each parent's DNA.
You might think a shapeshifter and a human are "incompatible", because a wolf and a human can not breed naturally, but keep in mind that even a human and a mouse have 97.5% similar DNA (which is why we test stuff on mice all the time). So a simple example would be.. crossing the human's eye color into the wolf DNA.
Take this to the extreme and I could easily see that it would possible to mix the parents DNA to make an offspring.
If you consider that shapeshifter DNA is not exactly wolf DNA, there may well be genes that determine what the human shifter looks like. In that case, it makes even more sense.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <03-19-17/1643:05> »
Saw this thread, and while its definitely taken a turn for the "magicky" I thought I'd throw a little science in the mix..

In theory you can cross anything with anything else.. more and more you hear about these kinds of things already happening.
How? I'm glad you asked..  <incoming biotech geekiness>

An "offspring" is just another organism with parts of both parents DNA. Even with current technology it is possible to splice DNA into existing cells. The DNA doesn't even have to come from the same species. There are already plenty of examples of getting organisms to produce "unnatural" proteins by splicing in the proper genes.

Now extending this idea, its not unreasonable to consider making an "offspring" by choosing select pieces of each parent's DNA.
You might think a shapeshifter and a human are "incompatible", because a wolf and a human can not breed naturally, but keep in mind that even a human and a mouse have 97.5% similar DNA (which is why we test stuff on mice all the time). So a simple example would be.. crossing the human's eye color into the wolf DNA.
Take this to the extreme and I could easily see that it would possible to mix the parents DNA to make an offspring.
If you consider that shapeshifter DNA is not exactly wolf DNA, there may well be genes that determine what the human shifter looks like. In that case, it makes even more sense.

This is also already being done in Shadowrun. It's where chimeric critters come from.

Chimera would also make an awesome future runner handle. Just saying...
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #39 on: <03-20-17/2229:25> »
The problem lies in the magogenetics - you might have a shifter-human cross via genetic tampering, but doing this means there is no in-canon way at all to be able to guarantee a) which biology takes precedence, b) whether the creature born is sentient, and/or c) whether or not it can shapeshift - much less possess, due to the genetic blenderizing, any other of the shifter abilities.  Chimera tinkerers can generate llama-cats with glowing alpaca fur all day long, but that's all still 'standard' genetics - bioluminescence and whatnot.  It's the magic side what'll screw you over every time, simply because humanity doesn't understand what triggers, how it triggers, or (and this is still important in genetics) when it triggers - or turns off.

And while Chimera might be a good runner name, well ... I wouldn't get caught with it within 2000 miles of Seattle.  A certain group of ex-KGB kick-artists might take offense.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <03-21-17/0019:12> »
The problem lies in the magogenetics - you might have a shifter-human cross via genetic tampering, but doing this means there is no in-canon way at all to be able to guarantee a) which biology takes precedence, b) whether the creature born is sentient, and/or c) whether or not it can shapeshift - much less possess, due to the genetic blenderizing, any other of the shifter abilities.  Chimera tinkerers can generate llama-cats with glowing alpaca fur all day long, but that's all still 'standard' genetics - bioluminescence and whatnot.  It's the magic side what'll screw you over every time, simply because humanity doesn't understand what triggers, how it triggers, or (and this is still important in genetics) when it triggers - or turns off.

And while Chimera might be a good runner name, well ... I wouldn't get caught with it within 2000 miles of Seattle.  A certain group of ex-KGB kick-artists might take offense.

Well, (a) and (b) are legitimate concerns, manipulating the genetics of a creature might cause problems. But (c) would be a concern no matter what. Being a Shifter isn't entirely genetic in nature. Shifters don't have to be born to other shifters, and a Shifter's child(ren) isn't guaranteed to be a Shifter themselves. It's basically the equivalent to the inheritable traits of being Awakened. There's no way to guarantee that a child will be magically active, even in humans.