NEWS

[5e] Priorities for a marksman adept?

• 7 Replies

nerankori

• Newb
« on: <12-26-16/2145:11> »
Let's say I want to make a physical adept whose powers and skills will emphasize stealthy infiltration and gun combat at mid-long range. (So,their combat role is a designated marksman.)

With that in mind,would it be appropriate to prioritize:

A: Attributes
B: Magic (adept)
C: Resources
D: Metatype (elf)
E: Skills

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-27-16/0020:56> »
Your main skills would be longarms and sneaking, with the addition of gymnastics if you envision this guy doing things like jumping or climbing places, and you also want a decent perception.  So maybe longarms/specialization: 6/+2, sneaking/specialization: 6/+2, perception: 4, and gymnastics: 4, with a lot of low-rated skills purchased with starting Karma?  So skills: E is just barely doable, if this is a sneaky sniper - it is not enough if you also want him to bypass maglocks, have decent disguise ability, etc.

A and B are golden, C resources I am assuming you are getting a cheap Essence point's worth of augmentations (such as used muscle toner: 3 and reflex recorders for longarms and infiltration), otherwise you probably don't need resources that high.  D to be an elf is a viable choice - natural low-light vision, Agility-based dice pools a point higher, and base Charisma at a level where it is adequate, with no need to waste Attribute points or Karma to improve it; compared to the human having a starting Edge of 5 rather than 1.  Both are good, so picking elf is fine.

nerankori

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-27-16/0030:38> »
Your main skills would be longarms and sneaking, with the addition of gymnastics if you envision this guy doing things like jumping or climbing places, and you also want a decent perception.  So maybe longarms/specialization: 6/+2, sneaking/specialization: 6/+2, perception: 4, and gymnastics: 4, with a lot of low-rated skills purchased with starting Karma?  So skills: E is just barely doable, if this is a sneaky sniper - it is not enough if you also want him to bypass maglocks, have decent disguise ability, etc.

A and B are golden, C resources I am assuming you are getting a cheap Essence point's worth of augmentations (such as used muscle toner: 3 and reflex recorders for longarms and infiltration), otherwise you probably don't need resources that high.  D to be an elf is a viable choice - natural low-light vision, Agility-based dice pools a point higher, and base Charisma at a level where it is adequate, with no need to waste Attribute points or Karma to improve it; compared to the human having a starting Edge of 5 rather than 1.  Both are good, so picking elf is fine.
I see,I was thinking about getting into the crunch details of this concept I thought up.

Resources are C because D is taken by Metatype and E wouldn't even be enough for starting gun+gear.

I figured I'd mainly spend starting resources on things like B&E gear and sensors,to help on the stealth/recon front,and to support hackers and riggers.

But since you mention it,getting basic augs like smartlink cybereyes or reflex recorders might be a good use as well

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-27-16/0314:54> »
E Resources plus 10 starting Karma gives you 26,000 Nuyen, enough for the essentials, so don't completely discount it.  It frees up more points for Edge and/or skills, while you will probably get plenty of money for gear once you have gone on some runs. 

D resources gives you enough to get things beyond basic gear - a chameleon suit, a Maglock passkey, a flyspy drone, a Force: 4 qi focus, and so on.  Plus, getting elf at C will give you an Edge of 4.

C resources, I would only recommend if you are getting augmentations.  This choice costs you in Edge and/or skills, but it can be worth it, because some things are easier to improve with augmentations than with power points.  That example I gave, used muscle toner: 3 and 2 reflex recorders, costs you a point of Magic, but gives you +3 to Agility and +1 to two different skills, which you would normally have to spend four power points to do. 

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-27-16/0940:26> »
Or you use Resources E and the Neg qual "in debt"  which gets you a C for Skills
 5-10 Points get you 25-50.000 ¥  and a reason for Your Char to go on Runs and a line for your  Chars motivation. But don't overdo it , I think 10 Points is more than enough.....this is how you turn something negative into smth. positive ;) 

HokaHey
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <12-27-16/0945:29> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <02-10-17/1050:23> »
Also try both race and magic B/C or C/B. Both have pros and cons and you can shift a few points from special Attr. to magic.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-14-17/1050:10> »
I am having a blast recently with low magic priority and rasing the magic attribute with Karma.

E.g I have a mage with attributes A, skills A magic C  she started with 4 magic and during chargen I raised it to 5 with karma.  I got a very physically capable mage with very rounded abilities.

For adepts I would even go meta D (elf) magic D (adept) and raise to 4 with karma. 4 magic points is plenty and an elf with 24 attributes and plenty of skills is really fun to play. Though I am kind of biased as I like very flexible characters. 

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-14-17/1330:29> »
For human adepts I generally use
B: Skills
C: Magic
D: Human
E: Money

or with Sum-to-ten
B: Magic
E: Human

In general you only need enough Money for your main weapon and some armor + a cheap SIN
Don't dump skills or you waste a lot of Karma - and that's the one thing adepts generally don't have enough of.

If you are set on being an Elf I'd suggest:
D: Magic
C: Elf

You have only MAG 5, but that's still good enough for an adept
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex