NEWS

Does anyone else watch anime and/or read manga?

• 6 Replies

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« on: <09-09-16/1920:13> »
Genuinely curious. I just started Boku no Hero Academia and was wondering if I was the only one here who watched. 12 nuyen says at some point Black Lagoon will be mentioned. Or Golgo 13.
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-10-16/0714:31> »
Yep :)

Actually, my daughters have since taken over the anime/manga "fanaticism" in the family and they suggest new series all the time. I'[m not familiar with Boku no Hero Academia, but, of course, have watched Black Lagoon and Golgo 13. We recently finished Jormangund and Gangsta and are now working on Dimension W and Battlefront Blood Blockade.

I tend not to get into manga as much, but quite enjoyed the Resident Evil series when I finally got around to reading it last year.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-10-16/0755:46> »
Dimension W is pretty cool. Never heard or those other ones though. Boku No Hero Academia might be a little peppy for Shadowrunners(being a doujin and all that) but damn if its not cool.
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-10-16/1100:53> »
+1 for Black Lagoon and Jormungand. Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bepop are my favorite series ever.

Booyah!

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #4 on: <09-10-16/1145:03> »
I keep trying to watch anime, but every time I watch a series that goes past 12 episodes, something retarded happens and the characters stop being relateable...  Or the series gets shonen-ized, where it drops all originality and just becomes action scenes of people fighting.  Common symptoms of shonen-itis include a tournament-fighter arc and the protagonist breaking the limit of possible power multiple times.

The ones I have liked are FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Tokyo Ghoul.  I haven't seen Samurai Champloo all the way through (same with Cowboy Bebop) but what I saw was great.  Black Lagoon was good until they had this annoying four-episode arc entirely focused around these out-of-place "creepy assassin children" and it was so cliche and predictable, I hated it.  Everything else was awesome though.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-10-16/1152:05> »
Ah! Ghost in the Shell. All of them. The manga got weird at the end, mind you. All that hacking and politics was boring.

I haven't seen Samurai Champloo all the way through (same with Cowboy Bebop) but what I saw was great. 

They're worth iiiiit! Do iiiiiit! No, really. At least Cowboy Bepop.
Booyah!

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-10-16/1444:51> »
I keep trying to watch anime, but every time I watch a series that goes past 12 episodes, something retarded happens and the characters stop being relateable...  Or the series gets shonen-ized, where it drops all originality and just becomes action scenes of people fighting.  Common symptoms of shonen-itis include a tournament-fighter arc and the protagonist breaking the limit of possible power multiple times.

The ones I have liked are FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Tokyo Ghoul.  I haven't seen Samurai Champloo all the way through (same with Cowboy Bebop) but what I saw was great.  Black Lagoon was good until they had this annoying four-episode arc entirely focused around these out-of-place "creepy assassin children" and it was so cliche and predictable, I hated it.  Everything else was awesome though.

Funny I like doujins. As long as the protags don't because god slayers who can't lose. THATS when the series becomes unrelatable to me. Hence why I hate Fairy Tail. I also hate Fairy Tail for the societial and political fallacies. I actually think I hate those worse. Seriously. If a story has a hole in the setting it screws me up hard.
Thoughts
Mentor