NEWS

Rigging weapon skills

• 5 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« on: <12-29-10/0902:49> »
Misunderstanding on my part this time!  Given a drone with a weapon in a turret (say, a Doberman wrapped around an Ares Desert Strike), would a jumped-in rigger use Gunnery or Longarms? The table at the end of the Rigging section in SR4A uses Gunnery, but an example in the text elsewhere uses a specific weapon skill.

Sometimes, I feel like such a n00b.  :-\
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <12-29-10/1147:05> »
I am a little confused about this myself! Thanks for posting. It looks like you can choose either Gunnery or the specific skill for the mounted weapon (example: exotic ranged weapon laser), whichever is higher. Anyone got a better answer?

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #2 on: <12-30-10/1034:35> »
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 128, Gunnery
The Gunnery skill governs the use of all vehicle-mounted weapons, whether in mounts, pintles or turrets. This skill includes manual and sensor-enhanced gunnery.
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 171, Gunnery
The rules for ranged combat apply to vehicle-mounted weapons. The action required for shooting weapons depends on the mode fired, same as with normal firearms, but in almost all cases vehicle weapons require a Complex Action to fire. The Gunnery skill is used for vehicle-mounted weapons.
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 247, Common Rigger / Drone Tests
ActionJumped-In Rigger Dice PoolRemote Controlled Dice Pool
AttackSensor + GunneryCommand + Gunnery
Remaining sections of table removed for clarity.

I don't see any rules saying "the better of gunnery or the normally applicable skill". And I wouldn't expect to, because firing a gun from a fixed mount in a vehicle is not like firing a gun from your shoulder.

I side with rules over examples, myself.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-31-10/0428:51> »
If you are jumped in an anthroform or another drone holding the weapon in a way similar to a metahuman, the weapon skill is probably the way to go, but if it's mounted in a turret it's IMHO the realm of Gunnery - putting the reticle on the target , sending the "fire" order and letting the hardware do the job.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #4 on: <12-31-10/1925:58> »
And yet...

...along with the ap-
propriate skill as normal. For example, firing a drone-mounted rifle
at a target would require a Longarms + Command test, and using
a remote underwater welder would call for a Nautical Mechanic +
Command test.

which is one of several internal contradictions in the Matrix chapter that help keep people confused as to how all this stuff works.

Really, that whole thing needs a step-by-step on hacking nodes and listening in and controlling a drone.
Even the game, set & match backend that Aaron and Jenny did was full of rules errors, and they wrote the rules..

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #5 on: <12-31-10/1931:31> »
And yet...

...along with the ap-
propriate skill as normal. For example, firing a drone-mounted rifle
at a target would require a Longarms + Command test, and using
a remote underwater welder would call for a Nautical Mechanic +
Command test.

Book, page #? don't doubt it's there, just don't see it myself.

Really, that whole thing needs a step-by-step on hacking nodes and listening in and controlling a drone.

Yes, please!
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera