NEWS

Damage track and dice modifier questions

• 4 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« on: <12-27-10/1954:16> »
Yet another discussion from the game I'm in!   :-\

Let us suppose Bob, a generic runner with a Body of 3 and no qualities or abilities that alter how he takes damage or deals with same, takes two points of physical damage after a damage soak test, and no stun. At that point, does he have a -1 dice pool modifier to his tests?

Next, to clarify my understanding of the actual SR4A book, regarding resistance: if Bob, after he has taken say 4 more physical damage and is shot yet again, has to resist 6P, does he resist with full bod+ballistic?

Thanks for all the clarifications, folks; the group's main repository of SR rules info is still shifting over from 3rd edition and at times confusing the hell out of me.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #1 on: <12-27-10/2007:59> »
Let us suppose Bob, a generic runner with a Body of 3 and no qualities or abilities that alter how he takes damage or deals with same, takes two points of physical damage after a damage soak test, and no stun. At that point, does he have a -1 dice pool modifier to his tests?

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 163, Wound Modifiers
For every 3 boxes of cumulative damage taken on a Condition Monitor track, the character suffers a -1 wound penalty.

So if he takes 2 physical (after soak) and nothing else, he takes no penalties.

Next, to clarify my understanding of the actual SR4A book, regarding resistance: if Bob, after he has taken say 4 more physical damage and is shot yet again, has to resist 6P, does he resist with full bod+ballistic?

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 163, Wound Modifiers
Wound modifiers are dice pool modifiers that apply to nearly all tests the injured character may attempt, except for resistance tests.

So, Bob, with his 6P damage marked off is experiencing the pain of a -2 Wound modifier to his dice pool. Except, as noted above, for resistance tests (damage, drain, fading, as I understand it). Therefore, if the 6P is from a bullet or other attack that uses ballistic armor, yes, he gets his full Body + Ballistic (assuming there are no other modifiers in the situation that do apply generally).
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-27-10/2031:09> »
Thanks yet again, Chaemera. That makes a bit of a difference in lethality and character survival-- things might not have sucked as much for our street sammy last week if we'd had it right.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-28-10/1733:07> »
There are also spell resistance tests. (In the case of indirect combat spells, you should probably apply wound modifiers to the dodge test but not the damage resistance test.)

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #4 on: <12-28-10/1853:18> »
There are also spell resistance tests. (In the case of indirect combat spells, you should probably apply wound modifiers to the dodge test but not the damage resistance test.)

Good catch, Bradd.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera