NEWS

Homebrew Run: Data Steal

• 11 Replies

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« on: <09-11-14/0011:21> »
Data Steal
A milk run, the Johnson says. We’ll see about that. Time for a good ol’ fashion data steal. That corp server won’t know what hit them.

Difficulty: Hard? (Need more testing)
Runners: 4? (Need more testing)

Mission Goal:
Your team will break into a corporate facility to get the pay data for Mr. Johnson in 3 scenes.

First Scene is leg work, where you’ll probe the facility for weaknesses or help your contacts resolve problems. Be warned, you might alert the corporation or your contacts might sell you out if you don’t help them.

Second scene is breaking in to the facility and stealing the data. Its possible to brute force your way in  and just steal the hardware on the host. Or you can have your decker try to break the Host’s security and steal the data that way.

Third scene is getting out of dodge. Fight off the HTR team or people looking for the bounty the corp just put on your heads.

Obstacles and Crossfire: Look into culling the deck for each scene. (will figure this out later)
Otherwise, the same rules as Crossfire.

Ending a Scene:
To end a scene depends on conditions of the scene.

Ending a scene, heal 1 point of damage. Everyone can buy a card from the black market. Current Crossfire card goes to the bottom of the deck.

Playing with Fewer than Four Runners & Karma Awards & Karma Scaling:
The same rules as Crossfire? May change later

Scene 1
Set up the Obstacles, one per runner. Do NOT draw a crossfire card for this scene.

You have 1 round to kill the Obstacles to help your contacts. Doing so will help you. Or hinder you if you can’t kill them in 1 round.

Rewards
  • Face – Everyone gets 2 nuyen
  • Decker – Do not draw the Crossfire card for the first round of combat in Scene 2
  • Street Sam – One Less Obstacle during Scene 2
  • Mage – All obstacles take 1 level of damage in Scene 2

Failure
  • Face – Reduce the size of the black market by 1 card by discarding the most expensive card. If there are 2 cards the same cost as the most expensive card, the Face decides which expensive card to discard.
  • Decker – Add one Crossfire card to the discard deck, do not resolve any of its abilities
  • Street Sam – Add 1 Obstacle to Scene 2
  • Mage – All Players receive 1 point of damage

Scene 2
Set up 5 Obstacles (+1 if you didn’t defeat the Street Sam's Obstacle in Scene 1 or -1 if you did).

Draw the first Crossfire card (unless you defeated the Decker’s Obstacle).

If the Mage's Obstacle from scene 1 was defeated reduce all current Obstacles' health by 1 level.

You need to get the pay data off the server. It is a 5th player, similar to the Client in the Extraction Run or the Dragon in the Dragon Encounter.

On the server's turn draw obstacles equal to the Crossfire level. Place the first obstacle on the runner with the same color, then distribute the rest clockwise.

You can either physically steal the hardware running the Host, by doing 4 skill damage, 4 magic damage, and 4 weapon damage in any order. Than lastly you’ll need to do 6 colorless damage.

Or

You can hack the host by dealing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 hacking damage in that order.

Once the server is defeated, survive for one round starting from the person that defeated the server and then Scene 2 ends.

Scene 3
Set up 6 Obstacles.

Draw Crossfire card.

Defeat all Obstacles.

Once all Obstacles are defeated, you win. You deliver the pay data and get the high score. Level up. High five.

Comments
Alright, just played a test run on my own and got slaughtered by the lack of Nuyen. So I needed to make obstacles appear, then I found Obstacles respawning too quickly, which adds a very HTR coming to murder the runner's kind of feel, so I want to keep that. But the thresholds to beat the server were WAY too high. So I nerfed that a bit. I'll still need to go back and play test some more to see if they're still too high or just right. Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Edit 1
It was pointed out that it makes more thematic sense to switch the Street Sam and Face's rewards and penalty.
« Last Edit: <09-11-14/1501:10> by DeathStrobe »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <09-11-14/0051:10> »
I really like the idea of the server getting to spawn obstacles.  I think it'd be great if we could narrow down all the corp-affiliated obstacles and corp-relevant Crossfire Events and toss the rest, so that it has that real anti-corp vibe.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-11-14/1325:17> »
This looks amazing! I am going to have to print this out and bring it to my next game of crossfire. I bet my group will love the unique rules

I'll tell you how it turns out when we do!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Brennor

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-11-14/1414:53> »
This looks awesome!

Reading through this, I see some slight tweaks to be made:

Failure
  • Face – Reduce the size of the black market by 1 card by discarding the most expensive card. If there are 2 cards the same cost as the most expensive card, the Face decides which expensive card to discard.
  • Decker – Add one Crossfire card to the discard deck, do not resolve any of its abilities
  • Street Sam – Add 1 Obstacle to Scene 2
  • Mage – All Players receive 1 point of damage

Set up 5 Obstacles (+1 if you didn’t defeat the Face’s Obstacle in Scene 1 or -1 if you did).

This additional obstacle comes from failing the Street Sam's obstacle with the latest edits, which I agree seem more thematic.

You can either physically steal the hardware running the Host, by doing 4 face damage, 4 magic damage, and 4 weapon damage in any order. Than lastly you’ll need to do 6 colorless damage.

Doesn't matter as much, but referring to some of the damage types by role and some by the label on the card. The red damage label is skill.

Bagpuss

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-01-14/0535:13> »
It isn't clear to me how scene 1 ends?

Does it end after one round and obstacles still in play get cleared away or do you still need to clear the obstacles?

Bagpuss

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <10-01-14/0608:06> »
Comments
Alright, just played a test run on my own and got slaughtered by the lack of Nuyen.

Did you fail to take out the Face obstacles in Scene 1? Seems to me if you succeed in that you should be rolling in nuyen.
« Last Edit: <10-01-14/0618:26> by Bagpuss »

vinnmun

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-26-14/1148:52> »
I like the concept of this mission. I think that given that there are two options in how to end scene 2. That each one changes how scene 3 plays out. Like If you brute force your way and take the hardware, how scene 3 comes into play stays that way. Hacking the data seems a little harder so doing so should make scene 3 either easier or non existent (Probably go with the easier route like reduce the number of obstacles to half or to the number of runners.

Or keep everythign as is and give a karma bonus to if you hack vs. brute steal.
H0llister - Demo Team

Red: Matrix
Blue: Speech
Green: Thought

DeathStrobe

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-26-14/1315:14> »
I love that idea vinnmun. I didn't even think about having Scene 2 effect Scene 3. But that's genius.

IAmMarauder

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <11-20-14/1639:27> »
I really like the idea of this mission, and having a scene affect following scenes.

I was curious about the Face's failure in Scene 1 though. You have it reducing the size if the Black Market by one by discarding a card. The way I am reading the failure condition is that the intent is to have the Black Market reduced to 5 cards for scene 2. The rules have it that discarding from the Black Market means replacing the discarded card.

Would it make things easier (and less prone to misinterpretation) to reword the failure as follows:
"Reduce the size of items available in the black market by 1 card by flipping the most expensive card face down. If there are 2 cards the same cost as the most expensive card, the Face decides which expensive card to discard."

This way there are technically still six items in the market (just one unavailable for purchase), no ambiguity about discarding/replacing, and removes the potential problem of forgetting why there are only 5 cards in the market.

If I have completely misunderstood the idea, then let me know. And I will definitely try this out with my group sometime :)

DeathStrobe

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-30-14/1815:42> »
No, that makes sense, Marauder.

Dancer

• Newb
  • Cram-Powered Decker
« Reply #10 on: <11-30-14/1838:53> »

Scene 2
Set up 5 Obstacles (+1 if you didn’t defeat the Street Sam's Obstacle in Scene 1 or -1 if you did).

Not sure if it's the wording on this that's unclear or if it's just a bit odd...
So you... make it six if the Sam's one survived, or four if it was defeated? (5+1 or 5-1)

Gonna guess it's just worded confusingly and is possibly meant to be either:

"Set up 5  Obstacles (4 if the obstacle was defeated)"
or
"Set up 5 Obstacles (6 if the Samurai's Obstacle was NOT defeated)"

Is that about the size of it? Or is it in fact  a 2-obstacle difference?

iduno

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <10-31-15/1232:50> »
I really like the idea of the server getting to spawn obstacles.  I think it'd be great if we could narrow down all the corp-affiliated obstacles and corp-relevant Crossfire Events and toss the rest, so that it has that real anti-corp vibe.

2, 12, 13, 34, and 48 normal and 60, 62, 68, and 70 hard. I'd probably also throw in drones and IC so there are some decking opponents: 15, 17, 40 normal and  51, maybe 59 or 78. That's not a lot, so maybe only use them as scene 3 obstacles? Not sure what crossfire I'd consider corporate.