NEWS

Invisibility Spell Theories

• 18 Replies

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #15 on: <12-23-10/1710:55> »
Two separate living auras of metahumans. Avoiding the comparrissons of area effect Combat spells affecting more than one target with a single casting (oh-ho heres a spark for the area effect version of Inisibility), lets ontinue along discussing the relationship of what constitutes the actual spell's target.

Now, I'm going by 3rd Edition ruleset here, but the theory still applies to 4th Edition. (I'll read up on all the rules over Crimbo break.) Originally, the casting Target Number for Improved Invisibility was set at 4. It was not reliant on the Willpower or Body of the target like Combat spells were. Also, it maens that it could be cast on non-living aurae objects instead of using their natural object resistance ratings.

Improved invisibility has no interaction with a subject's aura, as the aura is an astral issue, not a physical one. I go astral, I can see you all day long, no matter how many piles of improved invisibility you're under.

Also, the second "target" in our example (the one picked up subsequently) isn't actually invisible, he's inside the other person's invisible nature. As with the example given earlier where the person wrapped in the jacket of an invisible person, their feet are perfectly visible below the hem of the coat. Would a GM be within his right to rule one spell, one target? Sure, but he has no more basis to stand on than the people who say the person's invisible (perhaps less, since the illusion "bends" light, and therefore, logic dictates that anything within the confines of the coat would not be visible.

Further, this interpretation supports the idea that you cast the spell once for the target, plus gear. If you have to target each object due to them having separate auras (if I understand what you're getting at correctly), they you would, necessarily, have to cast the spell 1 + n times (where n is the number of objects the person is wearing / carrying).
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #16 on: <12-24-10/0433:57> »
Quote from: SR4A p. 209, [b]Improved Invisibility[/b]
This spell makes the subject more difficult to detect by normal visual senses (including low-light, thermographic, and other senses that rely on the visual spectrum). The subject is completely tangible and detectable by the other senses (hearing, smell, touch, etc.). Her aura is still visible to astral perception.
Quote from: SR4A p. 208, [b]Physical Illusions[/b]
The spellcaster must generate more hits than the observer for the illusion to be considered real. If the spell is not completely resisted, the character is fully affected by the illusion.
So, that's all covered here i think.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

BIG BAD BEESTE

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <12-29-10/1605:13> »
OK, back again guys. Apologies for the untimely cut-off on my last post - internet time ran out. (Yeah, I don't have home access  -what a dinosaur, eh?).

Right, just to clarify a few points here. This post is really to confront the theory part for roleplaying purposes rather than the actual game mechanics/rules bit (although such evaluation on logic and theory can lead to rule revisions).

@ Chaemera: I should have been clearer in my wording there because, as you so correctly point out, a spell's energies show up on the astral plane to anyone capable of assensing (and within LOS of) the target. Sure, the target is Invisible on the mundane plane, but his arua is shrouded by the active spell on the astral and thus a dead giveaway.

What I actually meant to convey, is that successfully casting a spell requires the caster to create an astral circuit/link between themselves and the target through which the astral energies of the spell can flow and "ground out" in the spell effect. This is referred to as "aural targeting" as the auras of the caster and target must be aligned for the spell's circuit to be completed. Hence the rules for mundane to mundane plane / astral to astral plane / mundane to astral plane targeting. In my example i'm sticking to the general mundane to mundane plane effects where the aura is the representation of the target rather than meaning the target is actually astrally active.

The other main point, that I'm trying to debate, is what the Invisibility / Improved Invisibility spell actually affects. If it only affected a single target being, then by rights all their equipment would be visible and as you suggest a separate spell would be required for each individual item. This is, of course, a little impractical in game terms. So surely the spell should cover everything that the target is wearing/holding?

Otherwise, theoretically, if a gun were the target of the spell it wouldn't affect the bullets in it's clip as they aren't really part of the weapon. The same might apply to casting it upon a vehicle like a motorcycle. It would become invisible, but the rider would not as be seen zooming about on thin air. Or a car, which would then become invisible, but not affect its contents/occupant.

This is where the question of actually how the spell affects the target, (such as by cloaking it in a shroud), becomes important, as it can have direct impact on the players/characters actions and plans in the game. The incident i brought up was to illustrate that if a single casting affected whatever the target was holding/wearing, then as game mechanics for Encumbrance allow, a troll carrying a lightweight human is certainly possible. Thus,because the spell is not listed as being restricted by the mass of its target, it would cover both in a single casting.

It is not dependant on affecting only the physical or mana attributes of its target either, otherwise surely it would target the subject's Body, Willpower, or Object Resistance Rating instead. (3rd Edition gave its casting Target Number as a flat 4). So really how much could this spell affect. Example that came to mind recently are:

The subject is riding a motorcycle, or even a living mount. Is this also affected? What if the vehicle is the target, could it also affect a passenger riding pillion too? Or, for that matter, if cast upon a car/van/truck/plane, would all passengers and things inside be cloaked by the same single casting of the spell? How about if the target were a building, say a wall or a gate/door. How about the local Corp HQ skyraker or the Golden Gate Bridge?

In quering these situations its led me to deeply ponder the mechanics coupled with the "spirit" of the rules. So sure, if my players can come up with a logical explanation and reasonable creative use of such spells, then why shouldn't they be able to get away with them?

So far, I've concluded that the spell's Force should have some determination upon how much area/mass the spell can effectively shroud with a single casting. It's still limited to a single target, but a larger mass requires more power/man to conceal. plus it also limits the abuse of a simplistic one target casting making landmarks disappear (unless they're using ritual sorcery of course).

OK, any further comments people?

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #18 on: <12-30-10/1021:13> »
The easy answer is, read it exactly as written in the book, it's a single target spell, so when you cast it, it affects a single living target (and all the non-living junk he's carrying / physically attached to). For simplicity we're ignoring the bacteria, fungus, etc that cling to a person.

If it's Improved Invisibility, it creates a light-bending shroud about the person + gear. Therefore, anything (including a living thing like a person) which is brought wholly inside the shroud (such as by being draped within the invisible person's cloak) is not invisible, but cannot be seen because they are within the area affected by the shroud, any part of them which drops out of the shroud is plainly visible for all to see.

This is the best way to approach it because now you don't need to invent any weird house rules relating to Force, you don't have to worry about stymieing your players' creativity, because the spell works the way the people expect it to (look at every fantasy example of invisibility, from Harry Potter to Tolkien's One Ring, to DnD Invisibility, to how people are consistently presenting Invisibility in this thread).

Your motorcycle/horse example? if the guy is carrying the motorcycle, sure, it disappears. If he's riding it? No. Anything that has an aura (vice a shadow) that he's carrying? No invisibility, because they're not the target of the spell. Do not let your players cheese a fluffy interpretation of Imp Invisibility to avoid having to cast a spell twice, it just begs for abuse. Trust me, trying to keep a person hidden inside your coat / cloak is in no way easy and would probably result in them both getting shot, hence why I would allow that.

Use it as written, all the questions, concerns and comments you've mentioned go out the window and you've got no problems.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera