NEWS

Insect Spirit Inhabitation Questions

• 5 Replies

ConstantConnell

• Newb
« on: <02-04-15/1304:11> »
First time posting, so sorry if this stuff has been answered elsewhere, but I have a few questions. Hope you all can help...

1. Does a Hybrid form retain its spirit powers? What about a Flesh Form? Or do they just get the vessel/host abilities plus a few?

2. What is the essence for a Hybrid or Flesh Form? Is the the spirit's plus the vessel? Just one or the other?

3. A hybrid form can use cyberware, but can it get more (given the altered physiology)? Does the creatures new essence take the hit (meaning the potential for a LOT of cyberware)? Is any of this different for a Flesh form?

4. Randomly: Why is there no Spider Insect spirit?
-Cruising through life with no idea what I'm doing-

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-04-15/1336:30> »
I'll leave the first three for others more versed on the topic.  For number four, however, I'll point out that spiders are not insects.  Whether or not there are spider spirits is another topic but there is no reason they would be lumped in with insect spirits.

8-bit

« Reply #2 on: <02-04-15/1509:24> »
1. It would make Insect Spirits kind of pointless if they lost their powers continually. They only exist on our plane with a great deal of trouble, all the stat blocks would indicate that they keep their powers.

2. Just the spirit's. The essence is a way of describing your soul, your willingness to live. Inhabitation destroys your soul. It's not the body and the spirit, not really. It's just the hollowed out shell that is sustained by the unearthly power of the spirit. It's by no means scientific, but magic rarely is, and Insect Spirits are some of the most bizarre you can encounter.

3. Actually, I'm not sure about this one. I would be inclined to say yes, but then the question becomes, does the Spirit lose Essence? After all, it's not really it's body, but its being (or Essence) is sustaining the body. I would say no on the Hybrid Form, but probably yes on the Flesh Form, due to the Flesh Form being a more perfect match that does not change it's genetic material. At that point, the Spirit would lose Essence, as it is so tightly bound and perfectly intwined with the body, that the invasive nature of the 'ware would cause it to lose its Essence.

4. As jim1701 said, Spiders are not insects. Also, there is a Spider Totem in Bug City, however, it is not an Insect Totem. It is just a normal Mentor Spirit that can be taken by anyone without the risk of going insane.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <02-04-15/1626:22> »
First time posting, so sorry if this stuff has been answered elsewhere, but I have a few questions. Hope you all can help...

Insect spirits are covered pretty completely in the Street Grimoire, starting on page 93.  With that said, I'll answer what I can from the book.

1. Does a Hybrid form retain its spirit powers? What about a Flesh Form? Or do they just get the vessel/host abilities plus a few?

This is covered in Street Grimoire, page 196.

The hybrid form’s physical attributes are enhanced by the spirit’s Force.  The spirit retains all of the host’s natural abilities but only some of its memories and none of its skills (the spirit retains its own skills, however).  A hybrid gains Immunity to Normal Weapons (p. 397, SR5) but loses the ability to assume an Astral Form (p. 394, SR5).

A perfect combination between spirit and vessel, the flesh form retains all of the vessel’s abilities, knowledge, and skills (except Conjuring skills), and its appearance is virtually indistinguishable from the original vessel.  A flesh form gains the following powers: Aura Masking (p. 194), Dual-Natured (p. 395, SR5), Immunity to Normal Weapons (p. 397, SR5), and Realistic Form (p. 198).

2. What is the essence for a Hybrid or Flesh Form? Is the the spirit's plus the vessel? Just one or the other?

This one's a little trickier.  The way I read this line from Street Grimoire, page 196 is that the original character is gone.  That which makes them simply ceases to be - their body remains, which gives it some stats, but the Essence of the person is gone.

During merging, the vessel’s original spirit is consumed (if present) and that character is lost (though gamemasters may decide otherwise, if appropriate to their stories).

So I have been treating it as the Essence of the vessel is obliterated, and the spirit's Essence takes over.

3. A hybrid form can use cyberware, but can it get more (given the altered physiology)? Does the creatures new essence take the hit (meaning the potential for a LOT of cyberware)? Is any of this different for a Flesh form?

Another tricky question.  I would argue that cyberware is incompatible with the spirit's Essence and therefore they cannot add more.  This is as much a game balancing mechanic as it is my perspective on how Essence works.  I would say the same for Flesh Form spirits too.

As others have pointed out, spiders aren't actually insects.  With that said, the Aetherology book does cover the insect metaplane of the Invae (insect spirits).  The metaplane is called Vhortas, or The Hive, and it exists somewhere near Azzorloth, the Bridge of Worlds.  Either that or the Bridge simply gives access to Vhortas.  There is a separate metaplane called Metabeles, or The Web, which houses all the arachnid spirits.  This includes spiders, but also scorpions and similar critters.  Based on the information in Aetherology, the truly relevant portion that you'll want to look at describes the Warrior Plains and the Eater of Insects who rules the realm.  It describes the war between the Invae and the Aranea, and can help fill in a few blanks.  To summarize, the spiders are there, but they aren't interested in us.  Instead, they want to wipe out the Invae, which might be part of the reason the Invae are invading our world.  Also, the Invae metaplane has almost no resources left so there's that too.
« Last Edit: <02-04-15/1720:56> by Namikaze »
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

ConstantConnell

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-04-15/1631:31> »
Very cool people. I really appreciate the responses. Thank you!
-Cruising through life with no idea what I'm doing-

Reshy

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-03-17/0946:17> »

Necro-post.  There are actually spider spirits in Aetherology.  They're called the Anansi and the Tsuchigumo.

They belong to a separate metaplane called the Metaebles.  Insect spirits live on the Vhortas metaplane.