NEWS

Space Sourcebook? Anyone?

• 33 Replies

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #15 on: <01-06-11/2144:34> »
I always thought of taking SR to space with an alien abduction... Totally shooting from the hip I know!

If you're looking for WEG Star Wars, including conversions, it's almost completely here: http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=D6_Holocron_Wiki (they're in a little disarray at the moment due to a move from wikia after it restructured).  They've cleared their content through WEG, WotC, and Lucas.

If your group prefers space scifi then I'd recommend Eclipse Phase: http://eclipsephase.com/ (they have a creative commons license so if you can find the pdf's on a torrent, they're seeding it, it's legal to own).

The Laughing Man

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <01-07-11/0101:44> »
Yeah I know a full space sourcebook is just plain wishful thinking on my part at this point. But I could definately see them releasing one in the next couple years. Considering they're in the 2070's now. And with those new ion engines I read about somewhere. (Not sure which book?) Heavier space travel and business becomes an inevitability. And where there's business there's shadow-business. (too corny?)

And as far as mages and adepts go I realize it's hard to get around that whole "going insane and bleeding from various orifices" thing. I'm not sure if I read this or just made it up but I remember something about mages being able to use the mana from self contained ecologies within space vessels. Which would make magic at least possible on space stations and the like.

I also remember reading that the Matrix extends to (at least) low Earth orbit so I think technomancers would be ok. Also couldn't they use a satellite link-up? Might suffer some wierd symptoms from the signal latency at that altitude though.  ;D

Space definately isn't a shadowrunner's native habitat but if you look at alot of the location sourcebooks, they're all about extreme circumstances and environments. I'd love to at least see another good write-up like Target: Wastelands to give some updates for the 70's.

I digress. By a lot. Like the whole point of my High Concept thread, I think there are times when SR just needs to go all-in and embrace its batshit insanity and the fact that reality is even crazier than fiction (If magic was real, SR would be pretty sedate).

It wouldn't be any easier that Findley's Tir Tairngire. Of course, I like the original TT and laugh at people who bitched about it being too hard or unrealistic or some other nonsense. That said, it would be worth exploring, and I think that making it hard but playable is a worthwhile challenge and opportunity to authors and GMs/Players alike.

I totally agree. Why get bogged down in what's realistic in a game like Shadowrun? I respect trying to keep the setting "plausible" and "realistic".  But isn't the whole idea of RPGs to suspend belief for the sake of fun and creativity?

I always thought of taking SR to space with an alien abduction... Totally shooting from the hip I know!

That sounds great. With all the dangers that runners face everyday, an encounter of the fouth kind could really shake up a jaded team. I've considered something similiar where the aliens turn out to be rogue AIs that emerged from advanced astrogation pilot softs. Then stole a fleet of Ares spacecraft to build their own space colony built out of old de-commissioned orbital habitats and parts from the junkyard at L5.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #17 on: <01-07-11/0928:07> »
I don't know. I mean, yes, there could be situations where a shadowrun team may be blasted off into space, but I'd picture the situations as being like in Armageddon where it really doesn't make much sense.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <01-07-11/1125:11> »
I don't know. I mean, yes, there could be situations where a shadowrun team may be blasted off into space, but I'd picture the situations as being like in Armageddon where it really doesn't make much sense.

Except for Lofwyr  ;)  ::)

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #19 on: <01-07-11/1137:56> »

If you're looking for WEG Star Wars, including conversions, it's almost completely here: http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=D6_Holocron_Wiki (they're in a little disarray at the moment due to a move from wikia after it restructured).  They've cleared their content through WEG, WotC, and Lucas.

If your group prefers space scifi then I'd recommend Eclipse Phase: http://eclipsephase.com/ (they have a creative commons license so if you can find the pdf's on a torrent, they're seeding it, it's legal to own).

If you play more military styled runs, you should make pretty funny remix wars with Warhammer 40.000 RPG...hire a team for the mission, hibernate them and travel them to space and run one-shot for Deadwatch ... then LOL to wannabies and hail to those who survive :)

savaze

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <01-07-11/1329:24> »

Armageddon has some great quotes though, could have been some of the games I've been in...

A.J.: Have you ever heard of Evel Knievel?
Lev Andropov: No, I never saw Star Wars.

General Kimsey: If you're trying to make me feel better about this scenario, give it up.
Truman: To tell you the truth, I'm kind of encouraged. This guy Chick here was an Air Force commando for six years.
General Kimsey: We got robbery, assault, arrest, resisting arrest. We got a collection agent for the mob. Two of these guys have done serious time.
Truman: Look, they're the best at what they do.
General Kimsey: So am I. And I'm not so optimistic. We spend 250 billion dollars a year on defense. And here we are. The fate of the planet is in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun.

A.J.: You know it's all funny until somebody gets shot in the leg.

Colonel William Sharp: [In response to Rockhound riding the nuclear warhead] Get off... the nuclear... warhead.
Rockhound: I was doing that guy from that movie, you know, Slim Pickens, where he rides it all the way in, the nuclear warhead.
Colonel William Sharp: Now.
Rockhound: Oh, you didn't see that one, huh?

Rockhound: [After getting off of the nuke] I just wanted to feel the power between my legs.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <01-08-11/0041:24> »
T:W ... had ... space ...

... whores.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <01-08-11/0844:14> »
Ugh, Armageddon.

Stupid movie.  It was funny in all the wrong places, and sad everywhere else.  The only nice part I remember of it was Bruce Willis' character's flashback of his daughter's life as he pushed the button.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #24 on: <01-10-11/1705:21> »
I actually got more enjoyment from watching Battlefield Earth than I did watching Armageddon.  Madness I says, madness.

savaze

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <01-10-11/2025:35> »
I don't think it was suppose to be more than catch phrases and one-liners...

The Dweller

• Newb
  • Shine your chrome for a nuyen, chummer
« Reply #26 on: <02-26-11/0859:30> »
I definitely think there's interest in space material for Shadowrun, but I think the way to release it is through an adventure format.  To be specific, a module that is one of several in a line where each covers a specific 'fringer' habitat (out in space, deep water, underground hab, etc).  Or, better yet, a anthology format module where each adventure in it covers a unique locale.  Think Harlequin or the NAN books for size comparison.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <02-26-11/0902:32> »
That sounds like a good idea.  Each habitat can have its own set of adventures and info, but perhaps an overall space book would be good, too.  Something that lists all the areas out and generalizes them for the GM's who just want to knock something together quickly, and perhaps cover a large area for their players.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

The Dweller

• Newb
  • Shine your chrome for a nuyen, chummer
« Reply #28 on: <02-26-11/0915:13> »
Of course, they could always consider just releasing the setting material in pdf format if they feel there isn't enough to put out in book format.

/cough, this old drone, cough, milspectech, cough  8)

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #29 on: <02-26-11/0916:40> »
Wasn't there a book back in 2nd ed that had a bunch of stuff about space, I kinda recall an entery for a sliver gun that said it was used on orbitals
But I didn't know he was a DRAGON!